How's this...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissH225, Apr 21, 2011.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Apr 21, 2011

The dreaded "weakness question"....here is my answer for my weakness. Let me know if I should steer clear or if it works/sounds good(I promise this is my last question of the night)

My weakness is Writing. I feel the other subjects come naturally to me and I can think of engaging meaningful lessons easily. While I am able to teach writing well it doesn't come as naturally for me. In my past experience writing is the subject many students dread and it's challenging for. Many of my high students who excel in other areas have even struggled in writing. Since this has been my experience in the past it makes me overthink my lessons. I feel there is so much to teach with writing and it's harder to be engaging and exciting. I have however found collaboration with collegues has helped (because that's what teaching is about, sharing so you can help where you are strong and vica versa) and I have also had curriculum leaders come in my room to help as well. Also, anytime P/D is offered with writing I am there. I want to implement the Writers Workshop model into my classroom....

then I wanna say something about wanting to work on keeping mini lessons mini b/c I find there's always so much I want to do but it's important to keep the lessons short and pick 1 thing to focus on

Thoughts?

3. cartwheels

cartwheels Rookie

Apr 21, 2011

Others might disagree, but I wouldn't use a subject area as a weakness. I just feel like, no matter how you frame it, they're still going to come away from it thinking "she's bad at teaching writing." You mentioned that you over-think your writing lessons. Why not use that as your weakness? Something about getting caught up in the minute details of lessons and losing sight of the big picture. Or stressing too much about making the lessons "exciting" vs. just creating an effective lesson. Then use the writing lessons as an example.

Of course, if they ask you which subject area you struggle the most with, then your answer would be totally acceptable.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2011

Your answer about writing does not inspire confidence in your skills. I'd rework it or pick a different 'weakness'.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2011

I agree. Even when discussing a weakness, you still want to express confidence in yourself and your skills.

6. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Apr 22, 2011

Ok so what if I got with overthinking writing lessons? I have great ideas but sometimes I try to do too much at once. I really have learned but still learning to prioritize skills that need to be taught. This also helps me map out weeks of writing rather than a day or two at a time. Mini Lessons are suppose to be mini (10mins) so I have had to learn to have a main objective and not to stray from the lesson/objective. I can't teach everything at once to help their writing, taking it step by step,skill by skill will help them succeed as writers.

Ideas? Adding subtracting to it?Thanks so much guys...interview in tminue 3 1/2 hrs :)

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2011

Maybe something like: When thinking about my weakness, I think that it is my eagerness to try to teach everything. I want my students to be successful and spend every minute learning as much as possible. But I've learned and am still working on prioritizing skills and concepts that my students need. I work on mapping out skills by units and months, instead of days. This helps me to ensure that all important skills are met. In addition, I am working on keeping mini lessons, mini-10 minutes max. My students need lessons, but they need work time to apply those lessons just as much.