How's my cover letter?

Discussion in 'Job Hunting & Interviews' started by newtothis2006, Dec 14, 2006.

1. newtothis2006

newtothis2006 Rookie

Dec 14, 2006

Dear xxx

I am writing to personally express my interest in an employment opportunity for a Business Education Teacher that I came across on the xxx ISD website. I would like to request an interview with you for the position. First let me tell you about myself...

I graduated from Southern Methodist University in 2003 with a Bachelors of Business Administration degree with a major in Marketing. I worked in Finance for few years before discovering that teaching and coaching was my true calling. I am enrolled into an Alternative Certification Program- iteachtexas. I have passed both the EC-4 and 4-8 Generalist state content exams. I am additionally highly qualified to teach Business Education. (I am eligible for a probationary certificate immediately.) I obtained experience with middle schoolers this year coaching the 6-8 grade Volleyball team at Scofield Christian School and continue to club coach 8th grade girls presently. I also have acquired student teaching and observation experience working as an an aide at XXX High School. My role is to assist students with the use of a computer reading software. I have greatly enjoyed helping students succeed through the use of this program. I am extremely passionate about teaching students to reach educational and long-term life success. My high energy, positive outlook, and determination are qualities I am ready to share with my students.

I would love the opportunity to meet with you to discuss my background further, my educational philosophy, and the how I might be a good fit for the position. I have completed an application through the xxx ISD website. Please contact me at your earliest convenience to set up an interview. I appreciate your time.

Sincerely,

xxx

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2006

Ok, here's what I think:

I am writing to personally express my interest in an employment opportunity for a Business Education Teacher that I came across on the xxx ISD website. I would like to request an interview with you for the position. First let me tell you about myself...

-- I don't think you need to say how you know they need a teacher. I think you're limiting yourself to just the job posted, when another might open tomorrow. How about expressing an interest in any teaching openings instead and keeping it a bit more general?

Now, tell us more about what you did "in Finance." Stop for a minute and tell us the specifics of your job, and help us find ways that they'll translate to teaching. For example, I would imagine you place a high emphasis on accuracy in calculations. Help us find other skills that transfer. Did you work with people at all? In what capacity? Did you ever train a new employee? Were you ever in charge of anything or anyone? These are the things I would put into that second paragraph. Also, give us some concrete examples of success you have had with the kids you're working with. Those concrete examples add life to your letter, and make it your own.

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Dec 14, 2006

I'm actually going to disagree here. I think it's good to specify what opening you are applying for. If another one is posted tomorrow, apply to that one too! Most districts in my area ask for a separate letter of application for each position that you're applying for so that's what I usually do. If there are no openings posted I'll keep it general, but if there's a specific position I want to apply to I send a cover letter for that one in particular.

5. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Dec 14, 2006

Most of the schools I apply to request that you apply for a specific position as well. You can send one for this specific position and later drop one off personally for a more general application.