How'd you choose your church?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jun 24, 2009.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 24, 2009

I grew up going to the same church with my family but ever since I've lived on my own, I haven't been to church on a regular basis and it's only because I want to feel completely comfortable where I'm at. That usually means that people know my name and ask how things are going instead of just sitting down and leavingwithout talking to anyone because I don't know anyone! It's one of those catch 22's... I need to start going to some new churches and see what they're like. The problem I have is that I'm avoiding doing it because I don't know anyone to break the ice and introduce me to people so I can feel comfortable. We have some mega churches around here with really wonderful music but I just don't like how I can't hear myself sing (it's like concert level music or something!) and I don't know anyone. I get self-conscious sometimes if I don't have anyone to talk to. Going to church is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable so I want to hear how you chose your church to help motivate me to get out the door on Sundays!

I listen to Christian music and read Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyers' emails/newsletter but I'm really craving that sense of belonging!

3. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 24, 2009

I'm baptized and confirmed Lutheran and I don't attend on a regular basis (even though I should). I like my church; the people are kinda snobby--but besides that, I'm not thinking about changing.

About the mega-churches, I attended one last week for a class assignment and I thought it was great. Honestly, to me, they looked at you as a person and was not judgmental. They didn't care how you dressed (some wore summer street clothes, some dressed up), people accepted you and I felt comfortable. The biggest reason I liked the mega church was that it made you feel that you are in church in that cares about you.

If you feel intimidated, do you have a friend or family member to go with you?

Or, instead of going on Sunday and having to stand up and share things about you, why don't you start with baby steps (per se) at a mega-church. See what kind of classes they offer. Do they have a women's bible class that may meet at night? That way, you can get acquainted with a few people here and there. Or, do they have any other functions that may interest you?

Let us know how it goes :)

I hope this helps!

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 24, 2009

Well there is a group at the local mega church I've attended before and had fun at some of the social events. I just felt like everyone knew everyone and so I had to start up conversations on my own which I don't mind but sometimes it just feels forced rather than just truly talking and having fun like with people you already know.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 24, 2009

My mom is the church-going one in our household & I used to go w/ her, up until a few yrs ago. I never went back since. And I went regularly w/o fail every Sun since I was 2. My dad doesn't go at all.

The things to seek out to see if you like a certain church, besides it being a church of your religion of course should be:

- location - how far are you willing to drive?

- size of the church - some people prefer large ones, some prefer smaller ones, some don't care what size it is

- what kinds of auxilliaries, groups, & other activities does the church have - if you're the type who likes to be involved w/ church activities more than just going on Sundays, see what else they offer (Sunday school, youth grps, singles grps, hospitality committee, usher board, choir, Bible study grps, etc.)

If you want to be a permanent member of a single church, once you like the above things, see which church you like best to attend.

Unfortunately, the members at my church (that I used to attend) aren't that friendly. Even churches have their own cliques & it's easy to feel left out. But, I just keep reminding myself that church is not a social place in regards to see who's the most popular (although some members feel that it is). It's about learning God's word.

Much success to finding the right church! :)

6. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 24, 2009

Your exactly right Ms. I. Its terrible that even churches have their own clique.

It may be hard to "fit in" at first, but I'm sure if you attend the functions/groups at first, then you'll feel right at home :)

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 24, 2009

What I don't like about my church is that unless you're involved in a whole LOT of things, people won't really know who you are. They might recognize your face by seeing you around if you've been attending on Suns long enough, but that's about it. :mellow:

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 24, 2009

Growing up I enjoyed church, but now I very rarely attend. Primarily I no longer attend because my views are changing and don't quite fit into any particular denomination. I'm less religious now and instead more spiritual. But also, the church I formally attended received a new preacher a few years ago and I do not enjoy his sermons. My husband went to church with his dad for Father's Day this past Sunday while I stayed home and cooked an after-church meal. My husband came home, walked in the door, and said, 'I'm glad you weren't there today...you'd have really loved it." He was being sarcastic. The preacher said, and I quote, because I later listened to a portion of it online, "Men, if you lead your household, you wife will submit to you." My husband thought it was absurd as well, but I'm no longer surprised.

Although I don't necessarily believe what I was raised to believe, I'm so glad I was raised in a church. It at the very least gave me a foundation to build upon, and ultimately question. I have fond memories of church. I can't share my thoughts with my family, as my mother would be heartbroken that I was going to Hell. I suppose that's an issue I have with churches...they tend to make you feel guilty a lot.

Okay, okay...I know I'm getting off topic. I've just been so consumed with this aspect of my life for the past year because I feel like I'm in no man's land because I no longer identify with a denomination, I just had to vent a little. I'd started a thread about several times and then aborted it because I thought it would lead to arguments. :)

Back to your question, I think Ms. I raised good considerations. Certainly look to see if a church has a website prior to attending...that may help.

9. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jun 24, 2009

Wow, that must be a big congregation.

That is kinda the same for my church. My church is connected with a school, so unless your kid goes to the school, good luck really making any friends unless your involved in a lot of activities.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 24, 2009

It's pretty large, but not nearly the size I attended as a child & preteen. The population has styed about the same in the last decade, don't really know the reason why. People come & go all the time.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 24, 2009

I live in a very small town now and the church I attend is the only one of my denomination so choosing wasn't even an option, but when I lived in a larger city, I went to at least ten before I chose. I would attend most of them at least three weeks in a row, but when I found the church I joined, I knew the first visit that it was a good fit. I didn't attend any activities those first few visits since I just wanted to get a feel for the atmosphere, but once I felt comfortable, I went to Sunday school, and enjoyed the classes. I met people in the class and sat with them during the services.

12. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jun 24, 2009

I know how you feel... grew up in the same church my parents went to. Stopped going because I didn't fit in (teenager at the time and wasn't in the teen clique.)

Now fast forward SEVERAL years later. I am a member of one church but never really fit in there either. I "visited" my old church a couple of times and even helped with bible school, but still unsure how well I would fit in with them.

I don't go like I should. I'm like you... want to feel welcome and fit in.

13. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2009

According to my grandmother, it was chosen for me about 1500 years ago somewhere around Dublin.

14. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2009

A few years ago, my wife and I went church shopping around the small college town we live in.

We based our choices on music. And to that end, we "still haven't found what we're looking for."

Most of the churches here are predominantly white. But they try to sing African-American spirituals. It comes across sounding like something from one of those cheesy western musicals from the 50's. I kept expecting them to break into "Annie Get Your Gun" or "Surrey with a Fringe on Top."

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 24, 2009

:lol: :lol: you are one funny guy -

16. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jun 24, 2009

Have you asked friends or neighbors where they go to church?

Are you looking for any particular demonation (sp)?

Have you tried volunteering at church run food banks/soup kitchens/clothing banks/tutoring services to get a feel for the people in that church?

Does your local newspaper have a day of the week where they feature local churches? Maybe you can read and watch for a church that meets your needs.

Have you tried calling your local churches to meet with the church pastor/reverend/minister/preacher/priest? I am sure he/she would love to sit down with you one on one to talk about your needs and how his/her church could help you.

And last but not least, have you tried praying for God to lead to you to the right church for you?

17. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jun 24, 2009

I recommend finding a church that really sticks to the Bible and doesn't add a lot of man-made stuff. Also, you want a church where people make you feel welcome. As a church goer, I try to look for the new person and make a point of welcoming that person and getting to know the person a little. We often invite a visitor to lunch to get to know them better. We take visitors very seriously! But, everyone and every church has their off days. So if you feel like people aren't very friendly you might give them another chance if you like other things about the church.

Personally, I like a simple service and like you, I enjoy being able to hear the voices of the people around me. Our church is totally acapella music and I notice when I visit other churches with bands and such, the majority of the people aren't singing their hearts out like they would with out the band, etc. Just an observation.

18. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 24, 2009

Yeah, it can feel like I'm observing other people worship on stage when the music is that loud! I don't mind concerts but there is that peaceful feeling I've felt when I've walked inside smaller churches rather than churches in what look like giant business buildings just for the church.

Thanks everyone for the advice... I just need to go and do it... like Nike says.... "Just do it!"

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 24, 2009

I was not raised in church, but my parents had been raised in two different denominations . . . Baptist & Presbyterian.

When I got to middle school, I started going to church and attending youth functions with a couple of my friends. I didn't go regularly, but they always made me feel welcome when I did go.

Once my parents started looking for a home church, I sugested to attend that church. They ended up being really friends to everyone, and we all eventually joined the church. It's a large church--not a mega-church by any means--but there are plenty of people in all age groups so everyone can find a place to be.

One thing that I have noticed is that the more involved I am, the more I feel like I'm part of the church. I always go on Sunday mornings, but I'm not in good attendance with other activities . . . although I enjoy them when I do go.

Maybe I should take my own advice. LOL

20. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Jun 24, 2009

I grew up in the United Methodist church - and until about 3 years ago I was VERY active in that denomination - but about 3 years ago, I felt like God was telling me it was time to move on (for a lot of reasons that are a long story!) plus, my relationship with my now husband, then boyfriend, was at a turning point - and he was looking for a church. He grew up in a non-denominational charismatic HUGE church - so we knew it was going to be a challenge to find a church home that was the right fit for both of us.

We did a little "church shopping" and then decided to go to this church we'd driven by a ton of times - we loved it from the first time we visited - and have been going ever since. We joined the church last year, and the Associate Pastor married us this past Sept.

One of the things that really helped us, was that people reached out to us right away, and made us feel welcome. We were recognized when we came back the next time - and were almost immediately asked to join a small group. Being a part of a small group was awesome for us - because we felt like we belonged.

21. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2009

I worked as the Sunday school teacher for a nondenominational church from when I was 12 till when I graduated high school. I loved my church, but now I realize it was because I was always in the back with the kids - sometimes our pastor was a little out there with his sermons, and I don't think I could have handled them for that long! My parents ended up leaving that church when I moved, they were only staying for me.

When I moved for college, I went to church with my aunt and her family. I hated that church, and it really burned me on church for a couple years. Looking back, I'm not sure why I sat every Sunday in a church that I couldn't agree with. I think it was because I was so far from home, and wanted to feel connected with family. But that church was too... I got chewed out by the pastor's wife for sitting with my family, because high school and college students were supposed to sit in the front row together!

I picked my church I go to now because my best friend and her husband go. I really do like it, but I always took so many evening classes that I never got involved in the activities (they were always nights I had class)!

Now, dh and I are moving and I have to really church shop. My grandparents church is very close to where we'll be living, but dh is Baptist, and he doesn't want to go to a Lutheran church. So... I guess I'll just have to shop around...

22. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Jun 24, 2009

We attend a non-denominational church that has an interpreter for the Deaf. We chose it based on the fact the people in general are very nice and not gossip-oriented, the interpreter is excellent, and it's non-denominational so it works for my wife and me (who are of different denominations), and most importantly, it's kid-friendly so our son feels welcome.

23. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2009

We're Catholic.

When we bought our house in 1991 we registered in the parish that includes our neighborhood. We've been members of the parish since then.

It's funny-- aside from the people we know through the neighborhood or school, not a ton of people know us by name.

But we got to know one family this way: we weren't having any luck starting a family. At the sign of peace one day we looked around and saw an Asian girl giving the sign of peace to her two blonde brothers. Peter and I went to lunch, started talking adoption, and the end result was Brian. We told them about it a few months later; now both of those brothers attend Peter's school, and they sent me a lovely get-well gift after September's surgery.

When we adopted Brian, I was amazed at the outpouring of love and welcome he got from people whose faces, if not names, we knew.

The ushers all know us, since we're 9 am regulars and they know we're happy to bring up the gifts if they need someone.

The girl who sits behind us every single week (with her mom and twin brother) turned up on my SAT prep class list this year. My daughter was thrilled to spot her when I brought her to our sports meet; Julia knew which team she wanted to root for.

I guess my point is that church is like most things... you tend to get as much out of it as you put into it. We've become part of the parish community because we were willing to be part of that community.

24. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 24, 2009

TennisPlayer,
    Will the denomination choose you to find a particular Church? Or are you open to any type of denomination?

There's nothing wrong with visiting Churchs...and don't exclude Wednesday night services.

also, you can check if any of the Church's have a website and that will clue you into what they offer, believe, etc...

Also, ask the Lord to send you a Church where you will be "fed"; if you know what I mean.

:hugs:

25. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 24, 2009

With a young family, we chose a church that was child focused.
    Kids were involved in the service. Readers, band, ushers, greeters. etc. What we first noticed were the number of teenagers at the service and appeared to 'want' to be there. That almost instantly sold us.
    Many actually have told us that child noise is a blessing. :love: We sure can bring them the noise!

Sunday School is run in a 6 week rotation studying one bible story. The grades rotate each week from stations such as cooking, drama, games, art, music, etc. I now enjoy teaching Sunday School because my lesson lasts 6 Sundays with just a little age modification.

My family is always eager to go to church...well maybe not always get up...but they do not complain about going. You somehow need to find that comfort zone no matter what denomination you choose.

26. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Jun 24, 2009

I was raised Roman Catholic, and I went to a Catholic school for grades 1-4 that had a beautiful church attached to it. I still consider myself Catholic, and I seek out churches that remind me of that church from my childhood.

The nearest Catholic church to me is only about 1-1/2 miles away, but--and no disrespect to Protestants here--but the church looks too much like a modern non-denominational Protestant church on the inside. There is no crucifix, no statue of Mary, no Stations of the Cross, and no pews. The next closest Catholic church is about 7 miles away and "in town". While the architecture is a little Byzantine for my tastes, it is a beautiful church with all of the sensory reminders of the presence of God that one expects from a Catholic church. The priest is great, too.

MathManTim

27. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 26, 2009

I was raised Catholic, but I am not a fan of the Catholic Church. I have gone to a few Baptist masses and like them much more, we'll see where I end up. My kids, once they get to High School get to choose their religous route. I do this becuase I was forced into the Catholic Religion and resent Catholicism as a result.

28. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2009

When we looked into churches, I called all the ones around here except the Catholic one. I believe I called 5 in all. I wanted to visit with Kevin, look around with him, and help him understand what all goes on in a service. Out of all those, only one replied. I took that to mean that's where we belong, and we've been there since '92. Both my kids got to grow up there. Well.. one's still growing there, lol.

29. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2009

I wish there were more kids Jeannie's age at our church. The next youngest is 6, then it drops off to 4 and under. On the other end, the next older than Jeannie is 14 or 15.

30. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 26, 2009

I love how someone called them "demonations"...

I'm an Anglican (or if you're speaking Americanese, Episcopalian), though I consider myself to be a Christian more than Anglican. I consider denominations to be divisive and not at all representing what Jesus prayed for in John 13. DEMONations sounds like a good term to me :lol:

31. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2009

My opinion, make a small list of things that you feel you need to get out of the church. For me it was children's ministry, music ministry, preaching style, and growing in my walk with Christ. The big one for me was making sure the messages were #1, solely biblically based, and #2, were something that allowed me to grow and mature in my relationship with God (which IMO, should be the most important...because that's WHY we go to church, to grow with God *wink*). Children's ministry was important because we have small children. Music minstry was important because I wanted (and do) to use my musical gifts for that purpose (I am a singer and songwriter). The preaching style was important because I wanted a pastor that was engaging to me and kept me on the ball. Not someone who just put me to sleep.

In all, when we found our church, we just knew it. We had "shopped" around for a year or more before finding it. We are now members of a Bible (AKA, Protestant, if you put a label on it) church. The one thing someone told me that was very important was go to each church at least 3 times. Reason being that when you go the first or second time it may be an "off" Sunday. Meaning, someone that normally doesn't speak might be speaking, etc. Esp. during holidays the services may stray from the norm.

In all, I think when you find the church that God has lead you to, you will just know. Be prayerful and be active in your search. Also, remember that each church will have it's flaws, because they are ran by flawed people (us, humans). Also, remember that if you make your needs list too long, you may never be happy with any church. Every church will have something that you may not like. BUT, that is why it's important to become active in it...you may be someone who starts a new ministry, etc. ;)

Good luck in your search. I know, for me personally, that our church has done wonderful things not only for my personal relationship with God, but for our marriage and me as a mother. :) The person I am today, in Christ, is a much different person spiritually and I can't express the happiness it brings to know God's unconditional love and continue to grow in it.

32. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 26, 2009

I agree. When people ask me what religion I am I say "Christian". Saying Protestant makes me feel seperated from other Christians who may be of another denomination. I don't like that , because we're all brothers and sisters in Christ. :)

33. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jun 27, 2009

I've been saying that I need to get out and visit some new churches, and this has motivated me to do so! Thanks for starting this thread.

34. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jun 27, 2009

THIS is a very very special subject for me. In fact, it's one of the ULTIMATE questions of my life. I had been tied up in this question for years...but more importantly..., and my world was change by it.

I grew up and was married in the same church. I kept with that church (out of tradition!) for about 5 years into my marriage..no matter how far away we moved (about a 30-45minute drive...which at times caused us to "convienently" miss services) because i didn't want to deal with the hassle of finding a new church.

But I was finally motivated to change when:
    1)It became apparent that the church was dying (they catered to the older congregation and not to families- thus lost the young people.) and
    2) we had moved to an area that was predominantly filled with folks of a different faith. It didn't bother me-my faith was set. But my children needed to feel that they weren't ..wrong. Though it should never happen...they were made to feel (by other children) that they were stupid for their family's faith-and were treated like outsiders.

I had set up a series of playdates with a woman's son...and due to this we started talking. She was so into her faith and church-it was beautiful. I gave the church a try (a different denomination)..and it was very family oriented. We stayed for about 7 years. They were good years. (we were active in the activities of the church-and had church friends)

But then church administration problems started...and having been one of the main Sunday School teachers--I was close enough that I learned TOO much. People were making SELF choices-not faith choices. But I also had taken a class taught by the pastor, and came to find that he "reasoned" WAY WAY too much of life away on NON-FAITH beliefs. I started to question how one can stay in a church when it's run by a man who doesn't necessarily believe in the power of God?

About this time - my divorce started...and I happened to go to a very large church in my area simply for their divorce recovery group.

One night i decided to peek into their service and was TOTALLY BLOWN AWAY. A week or so I brought my kids (who at THAT point were only luke warm on the idea of going to church).

I was going to take them to a children's area -but wanted them to see the "real church" (auditorium)...simply as a "do you believe how big this place is?" moment. But the pastor who was speaking was SO incredible, that when I whispered.."ok, let's go" my jr.high-aged kids said, "No, let's stay!"

BINGO! We were home!

Many months later I ran into people from the last church...and they asked about where i was attending. When i told them, they questioned me about it. And I came up with a description that i believe nails the changes/differences not only in my attending-church, but in my faith-life as well:

The churches of my past were sort of like looking at a faded black and white picture of the grand canyon-and listening to a description of it by a person who had only HEARD about it.
    But I am now attending a church where we LIVE in the Grand Canyon (with all the beautiful colors and magnificent scenery surrounding us). Our faith is not only real and deep (relevant lessons)...but we LIVE it everyday (we aren't just HEARING about ancient people who believed - WE are following Christ, rolling up our sleeves, and becoming servants in His Kingdom).

Wherever you folks "land", I wish you the joy that we have found! (It's out there...may God Bless your search!!)

35. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2009

That is wonderful!!!! :wub:

36. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Jun 28, 2009

Excellent advice. We've been members of the same church for over 30 years, but when our oldest sons went off to complete post-grad work in diff states, they had to look for a new church. Our youth paster suggested that they attend each church 4 times in a row at the major service of the week. The boys took his advice and all have found churches. One found a match in his first try, but the others visited several churches before finding a comfortable match.

Good luck in your search. You'll know when you've found the right church as you will feel at home.