How Young is too young for Chapter Book Read Aloud?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by soozabelle, Jul 31, 2006.

1. soozabelle

soozabelle Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

I student taught second grade and after recess each day we read aloud from a chapter book. Does anyone do this for first grade? Would it be better to just avoid it or should I start it later in the year after Holiday Break?

3. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Jul 31, 2006

Children are never too young to listen to a story read from the teacher. I'll be teaching 2nd grade and plan to read to them everyday. My son just grad. from 5th and his teacher did as well. I can't think of a better way to model love of reading.

4. Momto2

Momto2 Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

They are never to young for Chapter books, I am reading Chapter books to my son who is 6 and he loves it. He especially loves the series ones where he knows the characters. Ex. Arthur

5. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Jul 31, 2006

My first graders liked to listen to short chapter books, such as Junie B. Jones and Ready, Freddy. I usually read a chapter or two a day. They usually want to hear more! P.S. I started this fairly early on in the year.

6. JenL

JenL Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

chapter books are great at every age...i read the short ones to my first graders too and they love them. by the end of the year some of them will be reading them. how cool is that.

7. MissB

MissB Companion

Jul 31, 2006

My first graders loved me reading to them from chapter books. Many times when reading chapter books I would read a chapter a day. I also read chapter books to my kindergarteners (some pre-K) and they loved it too. Though they can usually only sit for a short chapter (maybe two if they are really into it).

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 31, 2006

I read chapter books to my Kindergarten class. We read several by Roald Dahl, The Wizard of Oz, Charlotte's Web --I think it is really good for them to be exposed to the vocabulary a little above their level. They loved it and would always look forward to the next chapter.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2006

When my son ws in grade 1 the teacher read them The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. When I heard about this I wasn't too sure, but the kids loved it and then were taken to see a shadow-puppet production of the story geared specifically to primary children. They also heard Charlotte's Web and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory that year.

10. Andibee

Andibee Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

Magic Treehouse

I read 2 chapters of the Magic Treehouse books after lunch each day to my first graders. We made it through the first 28 books. They loved them. I tried to do an activity with each book...we ate mangoes when Jack and Annie went to the rain forest (animals threw mangoes at them). It was the first time most of them had ever tried one and most liked them!

11. BuLadybug

BuLadybug Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

I was wondering about reading the Magic Tree House books to first graders. I thought about doing that - I thought they would really like them.

12. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Jul 31, 2006

I think chapter books are great read alouds for first graders!

13. JenL

JenL Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

i like the idea of reading a whole series like magic tree house...kids really get to know those characters which is so cool.
    great idea with the mangoes!

14. PB&J

PB&J Rookie

Jul 31, 2006

I read Magic Treehouse, Junie B Jones and Pippi Longstocking (plus many others) to my 4-5 year olds. They loved it! I always started by asking what happened yesterday when we read and ended with what do you think is going to happen? Most had some pretty good ideas which showed they were understanding the stories.

15. looloo

looloo Rookie

Aug 3, 2006

I teach first grade and Junie B. Jones and Magic Tree House books are our FAVORITE! I always start with Junie B. because a lot of Kinder. classes at our school do them so they are familiar with it.