How you reinforce your rules

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Mable, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2005

Ok, we have a bunch of great rules, but what about the issue of getting the kids to follow them? I am curious what you do with your kinders to get them to follow rules. What if you have a student who just can't behave? What do you use in your room to get the kiddos on track?

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2005

I use the color card system and change clothespin if they misbehave. I use incentive charts and give stickers if they made right choices for the entire day, and after five stickers they choose from my treasure box. I know to some this may seem as bribery, but I prefer to call it an award for positive behavior...........after all, we are awarded in our adult lives for good behavior(ex. auto insurance rates are lowered for good driving, we receive a paycheck when we do our jobs) , so I guess it shouldn't be any different for kids. I always tell them that going to school is their job, treasure box is one of their rewards for doing their job well. For kids that continue to misbehave, I hopefully have a parent who will be cooperative with the discipline measures I may put in place for that child. I would try to get the parents involved as much as possible, so they are part of the solution and in order to hopefully keep consistency with home/school. I do a lot of singing to get kids back on track when they seem to have "fallen" off. SInging draws them in and gets their attention.......kinders love to sing and do movement, and if the whole class seems a little crazy, I always break into song to bring them back to focus. WOW! Sorry I got so wordy on you :sorry: :p

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2005

I use a red/yellow/green clothespin system. On Fridays, if name is on the board the get a dig from my treasure chest. I have been using Skittles. I hate having to use all of this "bribery"! I've also started Friday Fun Day and if student's name is on the board by afternoon on Friday we do fun activity together.

What I'm running into is the kids that get these things taken away don't act like it makes a difference if they lose out on the fun. They don't seem to learn from their mistakes. I know all about Love and Logic and try to build a relationship with them, give choices, notice it when they do good - but gosh--I also think they need to follow rules. The other kids seem to do it!?!

5. MrsBostonBride

MrsBostonBride Rookie

Sep 11, 2005

What a good question. I am having a hard time getting my children to follow the classroom rules as well. I have not heard of the clothespin thing before, but I may have to give it a try!

I Love this website!!!

6. Keling9

Keling9 Companion

Sep 11, 2005

I, like KinderKids, use the card system along with 1-2-3 Magic. (I don't like "counting" kids, but this seems to work with the population of children I work with!)

I also have a marble jar. When the whole class is on task and doing a nice job of working, sitting, or whatever, I put marbles into our marble jar. But, just as I put them in, I can also take them out if the class is too noisy or not working, etc. Once the jar is full, we have a party!

As a school, we do a Fun Friday. (usually this is some sort of activity or recess.) All the children who have been on green for the week are able to partake. Those who haven't have to sit out or do "work" while the others are partaking in the fun!

7. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Sep 12, 2005

I'm going to sound really mean, but in my classroom, kids who don't behave lose their choices. If you can't behave on the floor with your friends, you go sit at a table. If you aren't careful with the center items, you lose that item or even the chance to play in that center. If you don't help clean up after recess, you don't get to play with the toys during the next recess. Etc., etc. I always give warnings, and I always talk to my students about why they lose their particular choice (and they always know!). I know many won't agree with me, but I don't like giving prizes for behavior I expect of them. I'm all for giving praise, but I don't give stickers, etc. unless someone has really gone above and beyond what I expect them to do.

8. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 12, 2005

Like others I use the card system. If they are on green by the end of the day they get a star. Once they have 5 stars they get a treat. Yes like kinderkids said it sounds like bribery but I was always taught kids need rewards b/c we get a reward by going to work and getting paid - does that make sense. If they are on a different colored card they can lose play time (not recess time) or a job. I usually send a note home. I try to use a lot of praise as well. We review the classroom rules A LOT and I am tough in the beginning of the year with the kids. I don't like to be but I know I need to be. Like jpre said if a child is misbehaving on the rug they go sit in a chair. I put the chair close to the rug so they can follow along or I move them in front next to me. Yes it is hard. Kids like boundries and like to push to see how far they go!

9. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2005

I'm also going to sound mean, but I am SO with jpre-K teacher. If you don't behave, you lose out on the fun stuff. The kids learn that really fast.

I also use a red-yellow-green system. It looks like a big stop light (3 colored circles). All of the kids' names are written on a clothespin and clipped to the green circle. I always give multiple verbal reminders of behavior, especially at this point of the year, and then the kids have to move to the yellow. Unlike some other teachers, this also carries a consequence...usually an immediate removal from whatever activity they are doing. If they can't behave on the rug, they must go sit at a table. If they can't behave during snack, they must not be too hungry, and have to clean up. After more reminders, they must move to the red, and that means a more serious consequence...a note home, a call home, missing out on recess or play centers, a talk with the principal. I keep a calendar stapled to the inside of each child's take home folder, and I use a Bingo marker to stamp each day as they leave...a red, yellow or green. That way the parents have a clue as to what's going on. If it's a red, I write a QUICK note telling what the child was doing. It might read, "John ran inside many times," or "Mary had trouble keeping her hands to herself."

I'm also against giving out prizes. I do verbal praise when it's justified. And, once in a great while, to make a point, I'll give everyone who was on the green at the end of the day a sticker on their take home folder. But, that would be no more than 4-5 times a year, total.

It takes time and consistency. Believe me, even with the level or "strictness" I have in my classroom, I'm STILL having misbehavior and testing right now. BUt, in the end, they'll get "trained," and it'll run like clockwork.
    Kim

10. RCSK5

RCSK5 New Member

Sep 17, 2005

I use "helping hands" I have a chart up with each child's name and a row of velcro by each child's name. I have small hands cut from felt and all during the day, I add helping hands by the names of the children who exhibit good behavior and follow classroom rules. I have a prize shelf numbered according to helping hands. This is furnished with new and used small toys (we recycle Mcdonalds and other fast food toys). Parents usually send these in gladly to get rid of them. At the end of the day, we count the hands and each child picks according to how many hands they received that day. We start over again the next day. This has been effective for me. Of course, we have the negative too. Each child's name is in the "good" column on the board. There is also a "fair" column and a "warning" column. To the left of each child's name there are 3 fish(we start off with a fish theme at the beginning of school). Children can have their fish removed and put in the fish bowl for uncooperative behavior and small infractions. If all 3 fish are removed they get a "red" mark in the fair column and 3 fish are put back up. If the 3 are removed again they get another red mark thus moving their name over to the fair column and so on. Each week we attach an address label to each child's folder that has been made on the computer with the columns "good, fair, and warning" like our board. At the end of each day I go around and circle the correct word showing that days behavior. I know this sounds like a lot but it's really pretty simple and effective- for us anyway.

11. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2005

For the last 2 1/2 weeks, I have felt mean, had a stomach ache at the end of each day and dreaded the next. Things are coming along and I am sticking to my system. Some are learning and others are not. It's good to know there are many out there that do the same as me. Thanks.

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2005

I think we must be going through the same.........I was really crabby and tough this past week. The honeymoon period is over, and now the kids are really testing to see if I mean business.......can't wait til we can have fun again. They have really been pushing it with me. You know it's really hard when they sob, and tug at the heart strings, but I keep telling myself, be strong, it's in their best interest!

13. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2005

Yes! Be strong- we will survive! I figure I'd rather do it now than have all heck break loose the rest of the year.

14. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 18, 2005

I have a few who are really testing me and I hate it. A lot of them are really well behaved but one just constantly acts out. I have been giving him things to do to keep him busy!
    My main goal for this week is to work on not calling out!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2005

I have a little bossy sassy pants in my room. He is the smallest one, but has the loudest voice and is the bossiest one in the classroom. He got in trouble on Friday because he told a thrid grader what to do........ahhhhhh.

16. Keling9

Keling9 Companion

Sep 18, 2005

Kinderkids...

Sounds like your little man has an inferiority complex! I know my small fry guy this year does! :)

Stay strong everyone! I keep thinking, sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better....I hope so anyway!

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2005

He's an only child, no dad, and has mom wrapped around his finger. I don't think he has ever been told no, you can't!

18. jpre-k teacher

jpre-k teacher Companion

Sep 18, 2005

I think everyone is in the same situation. I have the SAME kids as last year, and they followed the rules so much better at the end of last year than they do now. Actually, my new students were doing a better job of listening to me than the ones I knew (now all of them are testing me! :eek: ). It just takes time. The testing period is always the worst!

19. Keling9

Keling9 Companion

Sep 18, 2005

Mine is an only child too...but his parents are still together (surprise?!). By noticing what he does, you would think he was one of the younger kids in my class...but he's an October birthday....go figure!

20. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2005

My sassy bossy pants is a little girl. I know exactly what she gets away with at home-everything! She's been a tricky one to handle. Ah, isn't it fun? Good news, the kiddos are getting better. Except this week is our first 5 day week.....

21. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 19, 2005

Well today one girl threw a toy at a little boy during centers. They both are very strong headed. Then the same little girl hit him while they were at computers and he hit her back. Not a great day at all for them. Needless to say they never got back to green and stayed on their orange cards(2nd warning) for the rest of the afternoon.

I have one who never has been in school and has a hard time doing anything - paying attention, staying on task and so on. She wants to do what she wants to do and that is playing all day and whines when I don't call on her. Any suggestions on how to handle her?

22. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 19, 2005

My kids were great today!!!!!!!!!! Knock on wood! LOL. My sassy bossy pants boy got a note sent home Friday in his folder about my concerns with the bossiness. Mom drops him off today and the last words she said.......be good today and you get that car you wanted! Ahhh, now I bet he was only good today, so the car is probably in his hand as we speak. I wonder what she'll promise next time! Would you mention that to the mom if you were me????????

23. Keling9

Keling9 Companion

Sep 19, 2005

Parents are very good at putting a bandaid over an open wound....How is he supposed to learn if he's getting bribed all the time...including home? (Makes our bribes not worth the effort! lol) :)

I would probably not mention it to her, unless you have continued problems...then let her know what you've been doing in the classroom for his behavior and ask her what she's been doing at home about it....then, you might be able to speak your mind more freely...and professionaly.

24. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2005

Well, my little bossy sassy pants was still very great today! I'll keep knocking on wood! I incorporated the gumball machine yesterday as well, which was mentioned in another thread about the hallways..........it works wonderfully so far. The kids are great about reminding eachother that if they "work together" they earn a gumball for the class! They always want to know who the secret person is...........and can't wait to find out who I was watching for good behavior. Now, I just need to decide what our class prize will be when we earn enough(still not sure how many is enough) gumballs. I'm thinking a class popcorn/movie afternoon for our first prize. If anyone has some ideas for a classroom behavior reward, fill me in. It can't always be a movie and popcorn. Ideas welcomed :)

25. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 20, 2005

jpre-k and kimrandy--I'm with you. I haven't given any prizes. My school does a perfect attendance incentive, and my class got the "treasure box" from the office the other day (seven days of perfect attendance, no tardies), so they got a little taste of reward. But I not only cannot afford to do that in the classroom, I really don't like the thought of kids expecting things or behaving well on a short-term basis for the purpose of claiming a prize at my expense!

So far, so good...I've had a couple of really "antsy, noisy" afternoons in the past month, but nothing that was uncontrollable or overwhelming. I also use the "sit at another table" or "off the carpet" for a bit. In worst case scenarios, I have had to hold a student in (only twice so far) for an "owe me five" (minutes) during the first part of recess. If they have been warned more than twice, it's the whole recess. That really works great with my kids, since it's the only unstructured part of the day and also snack time. They really know they're missing out because they made poor choiceds. (They still get the snack, but it's not nearly as fun eating it at a table alone in the classroom.)

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2005

I guess I look at it as this: We punish them for negative behavior, so in turn we should reward them for behavior that is positve and productive. I feel then it balances itself out in that they know there are always consequences for their behavior and choices whether it is negative or positive. Just as it is for us. But, I think whatever works best for the individual teacher in the classroom is the way to go.

27. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 20, 2005

I agree with that too; but I guess I'm a bit tough on what it is exactly that kids "deserve" and what they "earn." By being on task and in tune, they get to do the recess time, etc. By NOT being on task and interfering with other students' learning, they owe time to someone!! I guess I see the "free play" time and outdoors socializing as the reward. It certainly makes a point with them!

One other thing I accidentally introduced the other day is working really well too! One student was getting handsy with his "neighbor," so without naming anyone, I suggested that students use this line if their neighbors are whispering to them or otherwise bothering them: "Excuse me, I'm trying to learn" (or listen, or hear the teacher, etc.). I have overheard that comment now several times, and it always makes me smile! When I hear it, I wait a few minutes and reiterate to the class what they can do if someone is preventing them from learning! It's kinda cool to see in action!

28. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 20, 2005

srh,
    that is a great line. I have a couple of kids I could use that on. Thanks for the idea! :)

29. Miss Nelson

Miss Nelson Rookie

Sep 21, 2005

I work in Boston in a very large urban school. We use the traffic light clothespin system and we send behavior charts home daily. When someone has been on green all week long they get a green certificate home on Friday and they have friday fun time, those who have some yellows or a red miss five minutes , those with two or more red days miss out on Friday fun. It hurts to do it, but they will keep themselves in check.

PS, if you use the clothespins make sure THEY move their clips. It makes them responsible for their actions. Once they relaize that their actions come with consequence they strive to be on greeen.

30. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 21, 2005

My grade partner gives out candy to the kids throughout the day who are behaving. I personally don;t agree with it. My kids on the other hand have a chance to go to the treat jar if they earn their five stars that week. My partner said they only go once a week? I said yes and she was surprised I said they have to earn it.
    She said that they can go for treat in her class if they are doing some good which to me they shouldn't be reward constantly for. Also they will always want a reward for everything they do. My kids never ask about the treat jar b/c they know when can get it: at the end of the week. Does this make sense what I am saying?

31. Miss Nelson

Miss Nelson Rookie

Sep 21, 2005

What is boils down to is they are expected to behave in a certain way. Some need more encouragement than others. I dont give rewards for short term behaviors. I find once they get what they want they tend to act out.
    All get the Friday fun if they have a good week. Of course kids do slip and that is expected, but no child should be allowed to misbave and take the change to learn from others. they can control themselves when you "catch them being good", give them encouragement and praise when they do and when it is long tern, give them something special.