How you looked at Scholastic this fall?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Hoot Owl, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 10, 2010

They've made some great changes to their format and ordering. I think I like not having to know catalog numbers the best. I don't know how many times I'd get ready to order and not have the right number.

Check out the changes!!

3. SummerIsTooLong

SummerIsTooLong Rookie

Aug 10, 2010

Yep, I've already ordered some stuff, with points and cash. I like how easy it is to get the book info, and to redeem your points when you earn extra points through ordering with cash. It's great!

4. ms. yi

ms. yi Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

Hallelujah!! Sayonara catalog codes. Also digging the image view for online ordering.

5. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

I have already set up my online ordering for my class. I agree it is much better.

6. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Aug 10, 2010

And you can view the new bonus catalog as well. I noticed that they have book bins you can get w/ your points. I'm wondering if I should invest in those. I would have to use up all my points to get enough bins for my library though.

7. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2010

I have never ordered off of Scholastic before. Can you explain how to do this with your class? You hand out the current flyer, the students take them home and place an order with their family and then bring back the order form filled out with a check, right? Is that basically it or is there more I should know? Do your students/parents like ordering from Scholastic?

8. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2010

I am excited for the page because I have noticed the Teacher Advisors are getting more publicity. I also like in the store how there are "suggestions" on the front page. It looks more organized.

9. teacherheath

teacherheath Companion

Aug 10, 2010

Also, if you set it up, parents can order online, and they pay for it online as well. At least last year, every time they did that, our class got a free book!

10. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 11, 2010

You will love parents ordering on-line. Set up an online account and the instructions are really clear (finally). They're still giving a free class book coupon for every time a parent orders on-line. I printed up the on-line letter and stapled it to the fliers every time I sent book orders home. I see there's a place where you can even check books that you recommend to parents now. I love the new changes!

I guess the most confusing thing for me last year was finding where and what the parents had ordered. Well, duh, it's on the packing list, kid's name and the item number of what they ordered. Extremely efficient, it's one less order you have to key in.

11. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 11, 2010

Yes! It looks fabulous and much easier to use.

12. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 12, 2010

I have been doing this for four years. I think what I still find annoying is having to separate the flyers and distributing them. I do the orders for our school, we have 210 students. Not all of them order, I get most of my orders from the 3rd and 4th graders. I am excited to try and sign up for the parents to order online. I always lose out on the checks because I end up forgeting to send them and they exceed the 90 days. I am going to end up broke that way, those parents are getting free books.

I feel stingy for not offering the teachers to do it themselves, I simply took over when the last teacher left 4 years ago. They always ask why I have so many books.

Who do you all order for and should I offer the other teachers to do their own?

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Aug 12, 2010

I do my own. I have never been in a school where I didn't do my own. I also send out the Click and let parents know that if they want to order for holidays, I will take it and "hide" it from their child.