How wrong is it if you think "X more days until Kid X is moving on" ?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Tek, May 23, 2013.

1. Tek

Tek Comrade

May 23, 2013

I got 3-4 kids that drive me absolutely crazy. I consider myself incredibly patient, but these are some spoiled little kids. Spoiled to the point where it's actually annoying... like, they physically grate on you.

Kid 1 has major learning issues, will finally get the help he needs next year. He walks around in my class, makes strange noises and basically interrupts my lesson every 5 seconds. Looking back, I don't know how I got through an entire school year with him in my class. Maybe though he's been at his worst these past few weeks and it's become that much more noticeable? He falls out of his chair on purpose, and hurts himself on purpose. He's a very unusual boy who has major emotional issues. I have spoken with the parents and he's starting to get the help he needs.

Kid 2 is a spoiled rotten girl that just grates on me. I started out genuinely loving her, but around March I finally had my fill. She can be very inconsiderate, downright ungrateful and hardly ever does her work. She cries whenever she has to do... *gasp* work. It's really become frustrating. It's hard to teach with joy when she cries and complains that she doesn't want to do the work. It just brings me down, brings down the whole class, and she's constantly in dramatic tears. Every little thing must go her way or she's going to throw a hissy fit. Gosh, I wonder how she will survive in 2nd grade. Of course, I've had to bite my tongue countless times... but I seriously cannot wait until she moves on.

I'll spare kid 3 and kid 4, because I don't want to seem like I'm over complaining. Sigh. I understand every year has its tough kids, but I know next year can't be any worse. Even my boss agreed that for my first year, I got the roughest class possible. Next year, with a year under my belt and sweeter "better adjusted" kids, will be night and day compared to some of the kids I have now.

I enjoyed coming to work August-March-ish. But April through especially now, I feel like I've been crawling to the finish line. This past week in particular, has been very frustrating. The kids just seem crazy. My 4 kids gets everyone else riled up. It's hard to teach. I probably wasn't consistent enough with my discipline early on, and didn't have the structure in place that I needed. I know it's also partly my fault. The 1st year is such a mad scientist experiment.

Anyone else feeling like they're a bit burned out, or eager to be finished with a certain student? Sorry, I'm usually more positive than this. It's been a long year! I know next year will be better. I will see to it! It starts with the summer planning, and then a firm hand on classroom management teaching procedures!

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 23, 2013

I'm getting the problem student from another class. He is one of two students in my school whom noone wants. This is (or I should say "was") the first year in a long time where my students are settled and are able to work independently for the most part so that I can actually work 1-on-1 or in small groups with students. I think it is sad that now that they are finally learning, I get "this student" because they don't want to support his present, first-year teacher. She feels like crap and not worthy of being called a teacher.

This happens to me every year ... why should I think this year would be any different. If I could, I would transfer to another school -- at least I know that I would get the short end of the stick because I'm the new to the school not because my principal hires new teachers, doesn't support them, parents complain and voila they are put in my classroom.:mad:

21 days to go :(

4. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 24, 2013

Not wrong at all. There are 12 children our entire grade level will be glad to see go. One teacher even jokingly said, "Those 12 will never be held back because no teacher wants to punish themself by having them twice in a row." :lol:

I can deal with MOST of the 12, but there is one boy in general who gets under my skin. I feel guilty saying this, but just the sight of him irks me because he is one of those children that even when they're being "good" they're still extremely annoying
    (ie: whiny, needy, constantly tattle-telling, attention hog, tries to talk over other children & the teacher, refuses to acknowledge personal space or boundaries, doesn't acknowledge social cues, etc)

And when he's being bad...WHOA, Heaven help us! He's crying, punching, kicking, throwing stuff, yelling, running out the classroom, etc.

Can't wait until he leaves

5. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

May 24, 2013

You are in the normal range.:) This is a tough time of year. These types of children are exactly why we all need a break. I have a mean girl in my class that is the spoon that stirs the pot. Even the kids are saying they can't wait for the year to end just to get away from her and her nasty attitude. Two students came and asked me to make they aren't in the same class as her next year.
    Hang in there and remember this. Often those children that drive us crazy serve two purposes. One being that they force us to learn and to grow into better teachers. Two being that years from now they provide us with some funny stories. The stories may not be funny now, but one day you will look back and laugh!

6. Securis

Securis Cohort

May 24, 2013

So you teach my nephew? I know you don't but you describe him almost perfectly. When he's good, he's an angel, polite, considerate, helpful, a total darling. When he's bad...well, you got that part 100% accurate. And no knowing when the wind will change. Poor teachers that get him.

As for the other children, sounds like separation anxiety is starting to set in. Amplified behaviors before a separation because it's easier to leave mad than it is to leave sad. These kids, some of them, will remember your caring and patience for them when they will remember nothing else. At least one will come back to let you know they appreciate you. IT may not appear that way but kids are funny that way.

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

May 24, 2013

I have this love/hate thing going with one of my girls. On one level, she is the sweetest thing - in her own way. She shoved one of my other girls on the stairs for picking on another student. That's her way of being nice! Sometimes, she's my favorite person and sometimes she's yelling at other students in my classroom or sitting in the back making animal noises, cracking herself up. The gym teacher kicked her out of his class this week for being uncooperative. He sent her to the preschool classroom so that the preschoolers could teach her how to behave. That would be freakin' hilarious if it wasn't one of my students. :eek:

I have another one who yells and cries every time she gets a bad grade. "YOU didn't say the spelling word right when YOU were giving the test, Mrs. Jersey!" "YOU made the math test too hard!" "YOU confused me!" Then she cries and apologizes.

I'll miss them both in 20 more school days, but who's counting? ;)

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 24, 2013

:lol: That is such an amazing way of putting it, thank you!! :lol:

9. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

May 24, 2013

Working in special education, I am sure I will see most of these kids again, unless they're moving on to middle school. Last year, we had a few fifth graders who made every single day a nightmare. I was thrilled when the last day of school came.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 24, 2013

I find ways to find something to love about each student but I understand that some kds are beyond connection...:(

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

May 24, 2013

It is 13.68% wrong.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 24, 2013

I think it but try not to say it out loud at school :) I do have things I love about each kid, but my current group is full of kids who just don't care anymore (which is sad...they are 8!!), so I'm ready for my next batch of kids who want to be with me. :)

13. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

May 24, 2013

I'm trying not to get into this mindset this year because I think there is a possibility I might loop. But hopefully a two month break will be enough for me to be able to handle these kids again. Today I was working with one student who started the year towards the top academically and just slowly slipped and slipped. Nothing has gotten through to her and sometimes when you ask her a simple question her answers just make absolutely no sense. Today I found myself thinking oh gosh I couldn't take another year of this...eek.

14. Lobo

Lobo Rookie

May 24, 2013

Not trying to rub it in, but yesterday was my last day :)

I feel you. For the first time in 7 years of teaching, I realized I really didn't "like" most of my class. I found something annoying about most of them. From fighting, bullying, drama, tattle telling, crying to downright odd noises most of them contributed some how. It seemed like they were getting tired of me, I was tired of them and they were tired of each other.

It was also a heads up to me that it was probably a good time to make a change. So I am changing grade levels next year!

15. Tek

Tek Comrade

May 24, 2013

Thanks for your replies and stories everyone. Now I feel better, and less guilty, haha ;)

You spoke the truth, m'am. I feel the same way. It's like my kids (the majority of them) just don't care any more. Teaching lessons at this point seems useless. They're either not paying attention, or they seem to be, but not much is sticking. It's like they have already gone on vacation break. They hate any writing, any type of work. All they want to do is color or use water colors. So I've been doing a lot of review games (i.e. addition/subtraction/telling time quizmo) and artsy stuff. Keeps them occupied, quiet and busy. Teaching lessons at this point is like dragging teeth. It has absolutely sucked the joy out of teaching. I am just hitting the "throw away" button on this "project" and saying you know what, next year will be better, next year will be great. This year... especially now... it is what it is. Hopefully they got SOMETHING.

16. Tek

Tek Comrade

May 24, 2013

Just to give an example of the girl that grates on me. She is constantly out of her seat, causing drama, causing trouble, seeking attention, and then getting hurt, and then crying. I tell her if she would just stay where she is supposed to, then she likely wouldn't have gotten hurt. It goes back to our class rule make good choices. She has no respect for me (and I blame myself for not being tougher on her) and test my boundaries everyday. It's not that she hates me. It's just that she is spoiled and knows she can get away with things.

This has made me re-examine the way I interact with my students. I need to work on my "game face" more, because I smile way too easily and way too much when they go into "full cute mode."

I do a students vs. teachers point system. When they hit 50 they all get a popsicle. "Jane" was asking me everyday if the smallest task they accomplish (i.e. putting their name on their paper) constituted as a student point. She asks this for EVERYTHING.

When they finally got 50 this past week, the next day I heard her saying "Why do it guys? We already got 50 points"

UGH. She also left her popsicle wrapper on the ground and didn't even say thank you when I gave it to her. She snatched it like she was entitled.

I also do a table point system where team members with most points get a popsicle on Fridays. She cries and complains when her team doesn't win... it's because she's always the one costing them the points by not behaving, etc.

She basically acts like an uber brat while expecting the world to treat her like a princess. It is beyond annoying. I can't take her anymore. Just a few more days... and then she'll move on. Thank goodness. Whenever she is out, I notice a HUGE difference in the classroom. I can actually... teach... and enjoy it, too. Sigh. I am definitely making sure that nobody hi-jacks my classroom next year. That might be the single most important thing I learned this year. I have no doubt my kids grew, but I cringe at the thought of HOW MUCH MORE they could have grown had I had a better handle on classroom management.

And I haven't even mentioned my 2 crazy boys who have joined forces to hi-jack the classroom. I cannot wait to be done with this kids. I've heard teachers say "pass them on" and I never wanted to be one of "those" teachers but I guess it's natural and happens to all of us. Yes, I am happy to hand them off. I'll keep them in my prayers, but I won't miss having them in my classroom *gets off soapbox*

17. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 24, 2013

I know this really isn't an advice thread, but this stuck out to me because I have kids who do this, too. They know that if they ask to move their clip up, get puffballs (my marble jar is a puffball jar), or table points I won't give them. I have to catch them doing something good. I have actually been on my way to give a team points (before I've told them), marker in my hand and someone says "DO WE GET POINTS FOR THAT?" And I say "Can you ever get points if you ask for them?" and they know. They don't get the points anymore. The peer pressure from the other kids ("Why did you ask!??! We would have gotten a point!") should hopefully stop her.

You're almost there! I really think the second year of teaching will be better. For me, too. :)

18. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

May 25, 2013

Oh my goodness! I always wonder if children like I described are as annoying to their parents and relatives. I always thought not just because family deals with them in a smaller setting, away from 25+ other children and aside from homework, you aren't forcing them to adhere to academic standards/expectations. But then I guess there are other struggles like misbehaving out in public, not cleaning room, interacting w/siblings, etc.

Thank u forthe explanation of amplified behaviors! My team and I have been noticing thaat even our "good" kids are starting to act up and revert to behaviors we haven't seen since the beginning of the year (ie: one girl used to daydream and constantly tattle and whine. She stopped around 2nd quarter, matured and became more focused. Then, the last few weeks, the behaviors started reemerging. Yesterday she tattled that "someone said I was crying in Kindergarten (last year) because I forgot my lunch money" and started crying.

I was like "Seriously?"