How would your school handle this?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by schoolteacher, Apr 15, 2015.

1. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Apr 15, 2015

I was proctoring the state standardized test today.

A student in the class that I proctored began loudly kicking her desk, then yelled out, "I'm going to throw a pencil in your eye" to the girl in front of her. I was standing about 5 feet away from both girls, and saw and heard nothing that might have caused this outburst.

I had this student in my class last year, and knew that at this point there would be no talking her down. I picked up the phone, called the office, and described what had just happened. I was told that I would receive a call back.

No one called back. Twenty minutes of calm went by, and I thought we might be okay. Then another outburst occurred. I called again, and insisted that the girl be removed. Someone came within minutes to remove her.

It bothers me because after that first disruption, I was anxious that this girl was going to disrupt again. I bet other students were as well. I'm sure they were quite distracted by this, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I was wondering how your school would have handled this situation.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2015

That would have to be recorded as a testing discrepancy. My school would have had the guidance counselor come take the kid out.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 15, 2015

In the schools I have worked out, we try to identify those students who may be prone to disruptions. It sounds like your student may have a history that would place her on our watch list. We place those children at the back of the classroom, as far away from other students as possible, in order to lessen their stress. Someone is on call to immediately remove the child at the first sign of distress. That child would not have been allowed to remain in the classroom after the first outburst. Not only would that give the child time to calm down, it would also prevent test disruptions and discrepancy.

Interesting note...it has been my experience that most of the other students are actually used to the outbursts of these students because they have had the year to learn to ignore them. They are usually less upset than the proctors!

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 15, 2015

Our AP sits in the hallway outside of testing classrooms. In a situation like yours, the student would have been removed from the classroom within thirty seconds of the outburst beginning (although they probably also would have been in a small-group setting to begin with).