How would you...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by mmswm, Aug 28, 2011.

1. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 28, 2011

...go about finding the owner of a piece of jewelry you found in the middle of the street.

I mean literally in the middle of the street. I was crossing at a major intersection today, looked down and spotted a ring. I picked it up and stuffed it into my pocket without really looking at it. I honestly forgot about it until just a few minutes ago. I was so distracted with kids and a to-do list a mile long, it just flitted right out of my mind. Anyway, when I got a good look at it, I think somebody might be missing it an awful lot. It looks like a real diamond, and not a small one at that. It also appears to be somebody's wedding or engagement ring.

I'm sure that person wants it back, but I have no clue how to go about finding her. What would you do?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2011

Maybe a "found" ad in the paper, with the location where you found it? Anyone wanting to claim it should be able to provide a photo of them wearing it.

Being in the middle of the road like that, I wonder if someone just chucked it out the window....

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 28, 2011

Caesar, I thought about the possibility of somebody chucking it out the window, but I still want to try to find the owner. Even somebody who chucked it out of anger might begin to have regrets.

Maybe a found ad would be the best way to go. If I just wrote "lost ring", then the real owner would be able to describe it. It's got a few distinctive characteristics. A photo of the person wearing it is also a good idea.

5. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 28, 2011

Sometimes diamonds have a serial number? (am I right about that?) Maybe that can help.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 28, 2011

Perhaps post a found ad in the newspaper with some details (leave out some of them, though)

Along with an ad on craigslist

and perhaps a post on the city-data forums?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 29, 2011

I was going to say a found ad too, but I'd settle for them describing to me what it looks like. I don't think many people take pics of themselves wearing their (pricey) jewelry.

I also agree w/ that city-data board. I belong to that one too.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 29, 2011

The police department is always a good option. My Mom lost her wedding ring and went over to the police department in the city where she lost it. They said they'd call if anyone brought it in. Unfortunately it's likely someone picked it up and kept it. I know I personally don't even get the paper or read it online so I probably wouldn't see a found ad.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 29, 2011

Are there any businesses in the area in which you found the ring? Maybe you could tell the manager's you found it so that if someone asks, they could give them your email or phone number.

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2011

I would take out an ad and simply say that a ring has been find in the general area and leave the details completely up to those who respond.

I know I don't have a photo of me wearing my diamond ring, so I wouldn't make that a requirement.

Hope you can make a reunion happen. :)

11. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Aug 29, 2011

Post a FOUND ad on Craigslist.com :) It is free..

12. becky

becky Enthusiast

Aug 31, 2011

I also would do a found ad in your local paper. Those are free here, if I'm not mistaken.
    Some years back, we found a baggie of money in the street near our house. I put an ad in the paper, but no one called! Hope your ad finds your ring owner.

13. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Aug 31, 2011

The police department was my first thought.

14. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 31, 2011

It's returned. I was talking to a friend at work and one of her friends had lost a ring. The friend was even able to produce her wedding pictures showing the ring.

Thanks for all your ideas. :)

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 31, 2011

Wow, that's great!