How would you set up a "competition"?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TrademarkTer, Dec 12, 2017.

1. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 12, 2017

I want to have a friendly competition between my 5 classes (all the same class), in which I will buy the winning class a coffee and bagel breakfast on the half day before winter break (next Friday). I want to use it as an extra motivator for them to study and prepare for our big cumulative assessment that occurs next Tuesday (almost like a trimester, but not called that).

I am struggling with how to determine the "winning" class though.

I don't just want to do the class with the highest average as that wouldn't be fair as one of my class is loaded with all honors drop-downs, and they always have an average a good 10% higher than the other classes. I was thinking of doing the class that is the "most improved", but I am struggling with thinking about "improved from what?" Plus that has the reverse effect as it is harder for my best class to improve as their grades are already so high. Hmmm....anyone have any thoughts on how I can do this fairly?

3. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 12, 2017

What about a math competition? It doesn’t even have to be pre-calculus related. It can involve math riddles or math puzzles so everyone has a chance to answer, even the students without an aptitude in math. Have the classes that get he most points win. Kahoot contests are great! ;)

4. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 12, 2017

Thanks. I do like Kahoot a lot, but I also do what it to also serve as an extra incentive to really buckle down for this cumulative assessment in some way so I do want it to somehow be linked to performance on that, but trying to figure out how.

5. rpan

rpan Cohort

Dec 13, 2017

How about making the ‘final score’ a combination of 50% ‘improvement’ and 50% actual results? That way, you cater for the honours classes and non-honours classes.

As to improved from what, could it be improvement on the previous assessment? You could also count maintaining the same grades as part of it i.e. didn’t go backwards but didn’t show outright improvement.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Dec 14, 2017

Since 80% of you students are going to lose, I'm thinking this is a competition I wouldn't do. Yeah, yeah, they learned, which is its own reward, blah, blah, blah. I work with some students who would be highly motivated by the food, but not deal well loss, so my opinion is probably skewed.

7. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2017

Personally, I prefer to do competitions where everyone has the opportunity to win...it sounds like it's being very "participation trophy"-like, but really, as an educator whose goal is to have every student succeed, I want what we do in class to mirror those beliefs.

8. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 14, 2017

Great, but I don't have over a hundred bucks I feel like spending to let all 120 of my students win the breakfast...and if a class doesn't perform well on the test, should I still make them feel like winners just to feel good about myself?

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2017

I'm not sure that mathmagic is saying that every class should win, just that every class has an equal opportunity to. If one class were loaded with musicians or with athletes, having a music or athletic competition between classes wouldn't be fair. If the students feel that the outcome is fixed to begin with, they won't buy in.

mathmagic likes this.
  10. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 14, 2017

And that I would agree with, which is EXACTLY what my original question was intended to get at. Maybe I didn't phrase it well enough. How can I make it so every class has an equal opportunity to win if I want to reward performance on the assessment?

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 14, 2017

In the end, I have a hard time responding, because I'm not sure that the intended goal of giving the reward will actually be accomplished ... students who put no effort in the winning class will be rewarded, and those who put in tons and tons of effort in other classes will lose out. In addition, the idea of rewarding academic achievement in that way sits wrong with me when it's done in the classroom and without everyone having the opportunity to show success, no matter where they are at with their current "skill base" (I know, there's honor roll, distinction, etc...). I'd say you might consider just finding a time when you can do it for a select group of kids from each class who show improvement, but you run into similar issues as you and I have both mentioned.

...but if the curriculum is the same throughout all classes, and you are forcing it to being one full class winning, perhaps consider the average, weighted in some fashion based on the comparative grades currently (i.e. if the current average for their overall grade is 80% in class A and 88% in class B, increase the test average for your "competition" for class A by 10%)

Then perhaps next year, if you want to do it, plan on some form of pre-assessment? (Though, then you run the problem of kids purposefully doing worse so they can show growth)

12. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Dec 15, 2017

You could do it as improvement on their current average, couldn't you?

Personally I wouldn't worry about the to class, but if you are concerned you could do it by improvement as a percentage of their room left to 100%.

So, if your lower class were averaging 10% and scored 50% on this exam, their improvement rate would be 40/(100-10) = 40/90=44%. A class scoring 80% that scored 90% on this test would have a 50% score.

13. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Dec 15, 2017

Why not do a participation award? Every student who participates gets a certificate and piece of candy. Class with the highest level of participation wins the breakfast. Participation could be defined as attendance, assignment completion and so forth. Something like this would create a lot more winners and not be too costly.

14. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Dec 15, 2017

Maybe more acts of kindness. Encourage students to do good and help each other out. Helps community building :)