How Would You Like to be Paid?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Mar 23, 2014.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 23, 2014

I think most teachers get paid monthly, however, if you had the choice, when would you want your PDs (paydays) to be? I assume most want DD (direct deposit) right?

I've been so used to once a month for 15 years now that I could honestly keep it that way.

Nowadays, job 1 (school job) pays monthly, but the check is hand-delivered to me & mailed...no "fancy" DD there! Job 2 pays EVERY Friday via DD!

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

I get paid every second Friday by direct deposit. My pay "stub" is available on-line on the Monday before pay day. I'm so used to this, I can't imagine anything different.

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 23, 2014

I get paid the 5th and 20th by DD. I love it.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2014

It doesn't matter to me at all.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

I have direct deposit for my pay which is twice a month during the school year. My tutoring after school tends to be mostly cash on the spot but I have one family whose son I tutor three times a week...they pay me electronically through Chase online.:thumb:

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Mar 23, 2014

I've gotten used to monthly and now like it for budgeting purposes. I'm paid on the 5th, but I'd rather be paid a few days closer to the 1st.

8. Shanoo

Shanoo Habitué

Mar 23, 2014

I currently get paid every second Thursday. At my previous school, we were paid on the 15th and the last day of every month. I preferred the way my previous school had it set up. I could set my bills to come out on a specific day every month and know that the money would be there. It helped a lot with budgeting.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 23, 2014

Highly.

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 23, 2014

I'm paid twice a month - the 5th and the 22nd, I think. I hate it. Our rent is due the 1st so it's annoying to me. I have direct deposit with a credit union so I always get paid at least a day early, which is nice. My new school pays once a month, the last day of the month. I will like that much better.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

I don't know any teacher who is paid monthly except for the people who mention it here. I am paid twice per month on particular dates. I have direct deposit. It's all good with me.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

I get paid once a month. It really doesn't matter whether it's twice a month or once, I still need to budget the money and make sure I have enough. I think the timing is more important. I get paid on the last day of the month (minus 1 day because of direct deposit), so it's before my rent is due and that's nice. If I got paid on the 5th it'd be still doable, but a bit harder. To get paid on the 10th would be bad. By that time my rent would be late, so I'd need to pay rent 1 month ahead or always save enough for it.

13. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Mar 23, 2014

I have been paid monthly for almost 2 years now. Before that, I was paid twice a month. I can see the advantage of both. Right now I do like the once a month because I don't feel like a whole paycheck is gone at the beginning of the month after bills like I would feel when I was being paid twice a month.

14. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2014

Me too, I never even knew that existed.

I get paid every other Friday by DD. My salary is spread over 12 months instead of 10 months/21 pay periods (to be exact) so that I also get paid in the summers when I don't work.

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2014

I get paid once a month. It's the norm around here, but I had never heard of it when I moved to this state so it was a little weird at first. I actually like it. I get paid on the last day of the month, so I pay all my bills/rent right away and then I know how much I have left for the month. My salary is spread out over 12 months.

16. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 23, 2014

Once a month is standard here. I was really surprised that my current job pays twice a month, because it's highly unusual.

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

Love this!

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 23, 2014

I get paid twice a month, on the 5th and 20th, and it works for me. Some of the rural districts near here do once a month, but I'm afraid I would always be near panic in week 4!

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 23, 2014

Twice a month on the 15th and 30th, or the Friday before that date (February, obviously, would be on the 28th). Direct deposit with my salary spread over 12 months. My only possible concern I ever have with that last part is what happens to those two months if my working relationship with my school ends before or over the summer. Would I lose that money? I have no idea.

20. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2014

In the USA I was paid once a month.

Here I'm paid on the 6th and 22nd.

I don't care either way as long as I get paid on time.

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Mar 23, 2014

No, it's money that they owe you. They take money out of your paycheck so that they have money to pay you over the summer.

Your insurance may end, but they will still pay you.

I get paid every other week on Friday by DD.

22. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 23, 2014

When I resigned from my last district in May of 2006, I was paid a lump sum in June that included what I would have earned in July and August.

23. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 23, 2014

I'm not planning on going anywhere, but I know of a couple of people who are planning on switching schools by next school year. Good to know on their behalf, since I tend to be one of the people who gets asked those kinds of questions.

I would PREFER to be paid every other week instead of twice a month. Two extra pay periods, even if it's a slightly lower amount each paycheck because of the two extra checks.

24. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2014

Yes .............. to this ...... If I were a teacher I would want to be paid HIGHLY ....... once a week, twice a month, quarterly ...... Wouldn't matter ..........:)

25. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

Well and often. :lol: Oh, that's not what you meant...

I was paid once a month at my public school, and my college also pays once a month. I'm ok with it, but my hubby is paid every other Friday so that makes a difference. Last week I got paid on Thursday and he on Friday, so that is nice.

Cat-when I quit the school at the end of the year, I was paid for June, July, and August (contracts started on September 1). But, I had already worked part time at the college on April and May, and started salary June 1, so that summer I was paid double :thumb:. We socked away the "bonus" checks and celebrated.

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2014

I've only ever been paid once a month until my two most recent jobs where they both pay on the 5th and 20th of the month. I always sign up for DD right away! Love the convenience!

My tutoring jobs pay after each tutoring session. They either pay in cash or by checks. I prefer cash, but I'm fine with checks. I just hold on to them for a week or so before making the trek out to the bank.

27. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 24, 2014

I've been paid once a month for the last 4 years. This year it's DD, but the 3 previous years were hand delivered. Before that I was paid twice a month on the 1st and 15th. It doesn't matter to me how I'm paid though.

Once a month seems to be the norm here too.

28. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Mar 24, 2014

Every other week (usually Friday) is the norm around here . I got paid once a month when I worked a part time job and I really didn't like it. I can't imagine getting 1 check a month with my full time job.

29. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

Mar 25, 2014

Every other Friday.

How often doesn't matter much to me. It makes no difference. Once a month would be fine too.

30. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2014

In NC, you only get paid once a month. You get used to it. I scheduled all of my bills to be due by the 5th. I'd have them all paid, which was nice. However, it'd be tight at the end of the month.
    I'm now paid every other week, like most teachers.
    My job from 16-24 paid me weekly, so it was quite an adjustment to go from that to monthly!

31. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Mar 30, 2014

I'd love to be paid twice a month! In my district teachers are paid on the 27th of each month. If the 27th falls on a Sunday, then we're paid the following Monday. The only time this changes is during November and December when we're paid early due to the holidays. Our pay stubs are available online as well.
    My only paper check I received was my first, it's been direct deposit since then. If I'm correct the district will provide employees with one of those prepaid cards if there's no traditional account that can receive dd.

32. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 30, 2014

I'm paid monthly with DD, and I opted to be paid through the summer. My husband handles all our bills so I never see it. I don't care when I'm paid-we have a cushion so it doesn't matter.

33. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 1, 2014

We're paid twice a month. I'm fine with this. The only thing I don't like is that we're not given the option of spreading our pay out over the summer so I don't get any checks in July and August. I would much rather get paid less, but spread out over the entire year. It is what it is, though.

34. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Apr 16, 2014

When i was a teacher/director it was every other Friday and went through the summer. Pre K teacher & Directors position were both year round which is why.

Now, I'm a Para (2nd year) so we get paid weekly until the end of June. And, this year DD is our only option, which is great.

I also work in the basic skills summer school program (4 weeks) and receive a check in the summer at the end of July as well and because our contracts start July 1st of each year, my salary step increase is included in my summer school pay :)