How would you leave teaching if wanted to? What other career would you choose?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Chem_is_fum, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Chem_is_fum

Chem_is_fum New Member

Jul 1, 2017

I want to become a secondary school teacher, but from things that I've heard, it can be a miserable career. If you left teaching what would you do? What are the alternatives to teaching?

3. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jul 2, 2017

There are an infinite number of alternatives to teaching. You are limited only by your imagination and ambition.

We can wrap up our entire identity with teaching, because it is more of a calling than a mere job. This, in turn, may leave us feeling limited and constrained, even unqualified to do anything else.

The truth is that the interpersonal skills we develop as teachers make us the most capable and experienced managers and supervisors available to employers. The stress we learn to work around is far and above anything most would ever endure in the public sector, to the point that we could handle many jobs with our eyes closed.

Remember: You are more than they would have you believe.

mrsf70, SageScience and vdemery like this.
  4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 2, 2017

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    AmyMyNamey likes this.
  5. Sab

Sab Companion

Jul 2, 2017

I kind of want to be a speech language pathologist someday, but I don't have the right undergrad for it, so from my research into it I'd need to find a rare 4 year grad program where that's fine or earn a second BA and then apply to a two year grad program. Maybe someday, but I just got my credential so it's not really affordable or realistic at the moment! Plus I'd want to be really, really positive I want to do it before going back to school for it.

6. vdemery

vdemery New Member

Jul 2, 2017

I couldnt agree more with AmyMyName... and so eloquently stated, too!
    I'm a behavior therapist, and god knows there are times when a kiddo is trying to chuck a toy at me or bite my finger off because I messed up his lining up of cars.. and I think to myself "whyyy is today today?"... but at the end of the day, someone's gotta do it, and I know I can, am willing to, understand its importance, and wouldn't rather be anywhere else for the day that same kiddo learns to say "Please stop" instead.

If I left teaching, I don't think I'd go far...probably just to the front office, lol.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 2, 2017

I left this year and am going to be going back to school for engineering. It may not seem related, but I actually got interested in it because I would teach a lot of engineering concepts and even taught engineering after school programs. I became fascinated with the field. I've taken a few classes while I was still teaching and I noticed a huge difference from attending a class as merely a student, and attending a class having been on the other side of the podium. I had a lot more respect for what the teacher had to go through, and was able to connect with my instructors a lot more. Also while teaching I did a lot of summer programs allowing me to get my feet wet as a teacher intern for various laboratories, and working in various programs.

I want to get my advanced degree in engineering and also join or start an engineering after school program in my city to teach engineering concepts to underprivileged kids.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  8. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Jul 2, 2017

I'm partly doing my master's in Library and Information Science because it gives me lots of options outside of teaching. I can move from teaching into being a school librarian, but I can also become a public librarian or do any kind of academic, research, etc. job that requires an MLIS. That way if I ever leave teaching, I don't have to start all over with new schooling.