How would you interpret this cartoon?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Sarge, May 4, 2012.

1. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 4, 2012

Discuss

[​IMG]

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

May 4, 2012

One size fits all reading instruction. Archaic.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 4, 2012

Agreed.

5. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 4, 2012

Those look more like teachers' desks. These are teachers confronted with all the overwhelming and stultifying bs generated by the government and the college departments of ed.

I see an empty desk: somebody just couldn't take it any more. Could be Socrates.

It reminds me of the lowest level in Plato's Allegory of the Cave.

6. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 4, 2012

Reading is very important in school.

7. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

May 4, 2012

:yeahthat:

8. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

May 4, 2012

College professors waste time and taxpayer dollars by lecturing straight out of a textbook that he/she wrote and could have put out in e-book form for about $3 while instead taking advantage of very liberal student loan and aid policies that allow them to inflate the cost of books well beyond their reasonable limit and also people like to wear primary colors.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 4, 2012

:yeahthat:

Also that the interaction of effective instruction is gone & people are left to a faceless method to teach them. And it's ironice how the seat smack in the middle couldn't take it anymore, so he/she left, (but not due to not being able to see).

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 4, 2012

It does look like a collection of teacher desks and the setting seems to be that of a college. So...Teach, Rock, and MsI all sound about right! ;)

Note: Although I found my "faceless" instruction to be effective.

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 4, 2012

I'd be interested in the source of the cartoon.

12. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

May 4, 2012

Here is an idea. Why not let the VERY best teachers teach classes
    in Colleges of Ed. I learned more from my directing teacher during my internship than from most of my classes. People from the real world have a much better grasp of classroom reality than someone insulated by those cliche IVORY towers.............

13. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 4, 2012

Teachers having to teach to the test(book) and having so little flexibility to be allowed to be creative, it's like kids learning straight from a text book.

14. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

May 4, 2012

To me it is sending a message that teachers don't really do anything, and that their role can be equated to a dull textbook placed in front of the class to learn from. Whether this mindset is caused by the pressures of standardized testing or people's perception of what it means to teach, who knows.

I think my perception is a bit jaded because recently I had someone use the "well you're just a teacher" argument and I had steam coming out of my ears...

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 4, 2012

A book is teaching the students, and the teacher's presence is minimal if existing at all.

16. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 4, 2012

I found this picuture posted on a political discussion forum. The original post was about how boys are being shortchanged in today's education system.

Here was my response:

It's actually a near literal interpretation of how many classrooms operate these days. Children are given fewer and fewer opportunities to direct their own learning, and teachers are increasingly prohibited from creating or designing their own lessons. The giant book is part of the state adopted curriculum, and provided by the textbook publisher. The idea is that the children are all reading the exact same thing at the exact same time. Our reading curriculum actually uses several "big books" that are held up in front of the class in unison.

It's called "direct instruction" and one of the more recent mandatory buzzwords that teachers are supposed to embrace. When my boss comes in the room, she wants to see all the kids sitting on the floor, reading the same book, perhaps out loud in unison. That book must be part of the adopted reading curriculum. If she came in and all the kids were independently reading books of their own choosing, I'd be accused of wasting class time. ​

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 4, 2012

I've known you a while, Sarge...and over our time together here I've reached the conclusion your school is ridiculous. Wow.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 4, 2012

So sad, Sarge.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 4, 2012

One size fits all.

20. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 4, 2012

Excuse the original typographical errors. I was cutting and pasting on my phone.

My school is no more ridiculous than a lot of other California schools since NCLB. I've heard of many that are far worse. I have heard my principal actually say she likes to hear a teacher start a sentence in one room and hear the teacher in the next room finish the same sentence.

The problem is that when Open Court came along, it coincided with a big push to reign in what were (often correctly) percieved as "bad teachers who didn't teach anything." OCR was seen as a way for the district to establish control over what did or did not take place in the classroom. When we adopted our most recent edition (2002) we were told we had to teach the entire program word for word, and we could not suplement it with any other materials.

A few years after that, they began frequent, no-notice observations where P or VP would come with our lesson plans (which had to match the pacing guide) and the teacher's edition. They would sit and follow along in the book as you taught to see how closely you followed the program.

21. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

May 4, 2012

Yes, that is true...I'm sure it's not just your school.

22. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 4, 2012

I was thinking of my friend who has to teach out of the textbook. Across the district they are to be on the same page saying the same sentence at the same time on the same day. They don't write any lesson plans, they are written by district administration and distributed to teachers.

23. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 4, 2012

The seat in the middle is the teacher who was RIFFed due to the budget being swelled by all the useless, faceless mandates and programs that money is being wasted on.

24. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 4, 2012

Apparently your district has taken to heart NCLB. What are they going to do with all the children and schools who don't fit that mold (and, therefore, don't pass the state tests which means the school fails and is closed)?

25. queenie

queenie Groupie

May 5, 2012

:thumb:

26. courtney

courtney Rookie

May 5, 2012

It looks like those dividers they've been having my 3rd grader make to act as blinders while they take their standardized tests..notice that the wall behind the divider is full of windows (of opportunities, to other worlds, other methods of teaching, perhaps?) but the students can't see through the giant book that's in the way. Teaching to the test, blinders in place, and generally overwhelming the student body while they're at it, maybe?

27. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

May 5, 2012

Wow, have to love all of the bitterness in this thread.

28. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

May 5, 2012

Your school sounds a lot like mine, Sarge. I feel your pain.

29. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

May 5, 2012

I agree that it's about a book teaching, with scripted lessons becoming more and more the norm (thank God, not where I teach!). And the empty desk? That child was left behind, of course...