How would you handle this situation??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by **Mrs.A**, Feb 3, 2010.

1. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Feb 3, 2010

I sent some work home with a student last Friday because he chose to sit and not do his work in class. He brings it to me on Monday and it's clearly not his handwriting. I asked him who did his work and he said it was him..I know it was his mom who did his work...:eek: This is a first for me. The kid is already behind...His missed over 35 days of school the first semester and now mom is doing his homework. Everything I sent home was work he knew how to do.

So, I'm just curious how other teachers would have handled this???

3. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 3, 2010

I wouldn't send work home any more. It looks like he might have to do it during free time at school. Or have a detention and do it after school.

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Feb 3, 2010

Yes. I would give him the same work to do over during some of his free time. And don't bother sending any more home. It is what it is.

5. janlee

janlee Devotee

Feb 3, 2010

This happened to me this year. I wrote on the student's paper that I thought his handwriting was beautiful, the best he had ever done for me and I expected it all of the time. I also wrote a Dear Mrs. ---. Aren't you proud of how --- has improved his handwriting? Please sign this paper so I know you saw my comment. Thank you.
    I never got the paper back and the student has since completed his own assignments. I have done this in year's past, too where people have completed a student's assignments.

6. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

Feb 3, 2010

When I know for sure that a parent completes a students homework assignment I send home a new copy stapled to the one done by the parent. I put a note on the top saying something like "please have ____ complete this in his own handwriting." If I know for sure someone else did the work I am not hesitant to call them on it.

7. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Feb 3, 2010

I'd simply have him do it at school, either during recess or after school.

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Feb 3, 2010

That is funny!!

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Feb 3, 2010

I had a girl do this in 5th grade. When I said the handwriting didn't look like hers, she said it was because her hand hurt. I replied that it was interesting that a sore hand made her writing so much neater. She finally admitted that her mom had written it--I told her to redo it and she assured me it would never happen again.

10. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Feb 5, 2010

Update...I got a huge email from mom because her son is having to stay in at recess because of the handwriting on his homework..She said he hurt his arm at school and his grandmother wrote the answers, but he did the work. If he did the work, how come he can't do it in class?? Also, I asked him about the writing when he brought it in and he never mentioned one thing about his arm hurting..Also, why didn't they attach a note to the work explaining.

She went on to say that I've been giving him "mean" looks and he hasn't like going to school for the last three years. First of all, I don't give "mean" looks, but I do have a good teacher "look". I guess he's a little too sensitive to that.. She wants MORE done to encourage him to remember to take home his homework, be responsible, ect..Grrrrrr. His grades are poor because he missed over 35 days of school in the first semester and is behind. I have tutoring two days a week, but she wants more to be done. :mad:

11. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Feb 5, 2010

If I were you... I would write the following:

Dear Mrs. AreYouKiddinMe,
    Thank you so much for your explanation email as to why Brittain did not complete his homework assignment. I had initially asked Brittain why his work was completed by someone else, and he never explained his injury or complained about his hand being in pain. Your concerns have been noted and I will certainly take them into consideration.

I am glad that you emailed because I am very concerned about the days that Brittain has missed this school year. He has missed 35 days this year. Please note that the school district has a clear policy on absences. Please review our policy in your student handbook. If you need another handbook, I can send that home with Brittain. School days that are missed are valuable days of teaching and learning that are missed. Of course, when Brittain is sick, we want him to get well before returning to school. Please make sure that you include a doctor's excuse when he returns, so that these absences are counted as excused absences.

Brittain is always welcome to come to my tutoring sessions on Mondays and Wednesdays immediately after school. Perhaps having some small group time with me will build his confidence and help him feel more successful in class. As always, your support as a parent is critical. Please ask Brittain about his day, and remind him each morning to bring home his assignments. After he completes homework assignments, look over them to make sure that he completed them to the best of his ability. If he has difficulty with any assignment, write me a note and I will help him during my tutoring time individually. My goal is for Brittain to enjoy school and to give 100% while he is here. With your help and support, I know that Brittain will make the gains that he needs to feel successful and excited about coming to school!

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to my attention. I look forward to seeing Brittain during my tutoring time and building a positive school environment that he can flourish in everyday!

Sincerely,
    Miss GiveMeaFreakinBreak:hugs:

***You need to give the RESPONSIBILITY back to the parent. It is HER child and SHE needs to take responsibility. Trust me. This will work and it was worded in such a way that you are covered in all areas.:lol:

12. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Feb 5, 2010

Many advocate goal of HW should be who has learned not who has done. As part of HW procedure consider giving a quiz on the HW to determine if students have learned. This gets teacher out of business of trying to figure out who has merely done.

13. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Feb 6, 2010

If you reply to mom's email, I would sure mention that his attendance is hindering his progress. In my district, the parent would have been brought up on truancy charges when the child had 10 unexcused absences in 90 days. Of course, our parents (and yours, too) get around this policy by writing an excuse that the child was ill.