How would you handle student workbooks?

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Storyteller, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

Aug 9, 2013

My grade (at least at my school) doesn't use the textbook. Instead, they use the Workbooks. In talking with the other 7th grade SS teachers, they've kind of given me 2 ideas on what to do with the workbooks. Which one do you guys think is the better option?

1. Tear out a unit from the workbook at a time, staple it, and give it to the student, keeping their workbook in class. This way, if they lose the papers, they haven't lost the workbook they'll need for the entire year. It's a bit more work on my part, as far as tearing out 120+ workbooks each unit...but...

2. Students keep their workbooks in a class crate at the front of the room. When they come into class, they get their workbook and use it that day. If they lose it, though, it's gone...unless they can like pay for a new one, I'm not sure how that works.

What would you do? Or would you just give them the workbook and tell them tough bananas if they lose it? Advice welcome and thanks in advance!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 9, 2013

Option 2, as long as the workbooks never leave the room. I wouldn't give them an entire unit's worth of papers at one time because if they lose it they've lost all work for the unit.

4. Storyteller

Storyteller Rookie

Aug 9, 2013

That's what I was thinking. I was just concerned that they'd still lose it and then they would have lost the entire workbook. I LTSed in a classroom in the spring where they had bell ringer journals left in the classroom and students were constantly misplacing them or taking them with them or something. Any ideas on how to counteract this? Maybe one student per row takes them all up and returns them to the crate at the end of class? Thanks.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 9, 2013

First off, I never let students take anything home that cannot easily be replaced (like worksheets).

In the past, I would tear out one chapter at a time (if I had enough workbooks for each student) or make copies of each chapter and only give students one chapter at a time. This way, students do not have to hold onto more than a week's worth of work at a time. Also, let the kids tear the pages out themselves or have a few responsible, neat, Type-A students tear the pages out for you ... never do any work you can get a child to do!!!

Or, if each child has their own workbook, let them just write in their workbooks in class and directly grade in workbooks so nothing has to be ripped out at all.

Depends on your classroom management. The end of the class period can be crazy and it may become hard to manage. Try it out and see. I like to have students line up in MS before we transition and as they line up, they put their textbooks away on the book shelf (if they can't keep them under their chairs in the baskets, which I prefer).

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 9, 2013

Our kids (sophomores) kept their SS workbooks. Only one lost it. The teacher told him he could either use the online format or borrow from a student and write it on loose leaf.

I had a senior loss his vocabulary book. He paid to replace it. We always order extra in case kids transfer in, lose it, etc...

ETA: I have my kids keep their journals in the room. I give them time at the beginning of class and then announce they need to put them back. I've never had a problem. When one does occasionally go missing, I mark it missing in progress book and it comes back rather quickly.

7. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Aug 9, 2013

I know someone mentioned having students tear it out. I know when I first started teaching I had workbooks that I kept in the room (I no longer have workbooks.) At the time my idea was to just pass the students out a workbook (any workbook- no assigned workbook) when they had an assignment. They would tear out the page and return the book. This was not smart on my part, at least for my organization level. I had a table full of workbooks that I tried to keep in different piles depending on what pages were torn out and I failed. Students were missing and finding a book with a page in it was near impossible, especially if they were out several days in a row. Looking back if I did it this way again, I would put things in place to prevent that. Just something to think about.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2013

You lose it you buy a new one.:2cents: