How would you feel? What would you say?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by txmomteacher2, Oct 27, 2020.

1. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2020

Yesterday we got an email at 3:00 something in the afternoon from our principal. I had all ready left for the day. It said that our district was going to start requiring ALL teachers to record their lessons. Not for us to use in the classroom or for virtual kids but just to store them in some folder on some server for posterity. There was some major push back from at least three teachers in my grade level immediately so the principal came down our hallway. During the conversation she stated that really it wasnt anyone at the district level that was saying we needed to do this but a consultant for our programs that we use. Our principal told our group that if we really feel like this is not something we are willing to do we could email her and she would pass this onto upper people who we are guessing have heard the plan from the consultant and is ok with this. I am also against this plan but not having really been in on the discussion and only hearing about late last night I have not gathered my thoughts and sent an email. Do you any of you NON virtual teachers have to records your lessons? PLease any thoughts and ideas that I can put into my email as to why I don't want to would be helpful. Remember there was no real reason given as to why we have to "store" our videos.

3. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 27, 2020

I am a virtual teacher, we record our lessons with the expressed purpose of "observing each other", which I personally like. I can just pull up another teacher's recording to see how she does things.

However, I'd be extremely uncomfortable recording all of my lessons in the classroom. I feel it would put me on the spot. I don't feel an expressed reason is being given for the recordings (just being stored on some server? Is that really an appropriate end?)

4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Oct 27, 2020

Isn't there some sort of privacy issue regarding the students? Years ago, back when I was student teaching, we were required to tape lessons for our university supervisors. We had to get the parent/guardian of every child to sign off on a letter that explained the exact use of the videos and promised no long-term or outside usage. The school where I was had terrible family engagement, so I had to tape from behind the kids with them all facing the same way and couldn't use names.

Your situation just strikes me as odd, like the consultant may be wanting videos for other purposes, like R&D. I'd push back based on FERPA and student privacy.

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Nov 1, 2020

I think the key here is the consultant is the one who wants this. Consultants at my school used to try to dump off all kinds of things on us. The district can easily override this. Our P who was no saint, even gave no credence to a lot the consultants who wanted us to do stuff that required hours more work per week.
    Last yr, we were told to save all of our screen casts too. Out of about 10 I know, 1 of them did it. No1 has caught any flack and the 1 who did it has no clue where her videos may or may not have been seen even.
    Your P sounds willing to help you and is probably very able to do so. Your P just said to tell how you FEEL, right? I'd just email that I felt uncomfortable with my videos being saved for "who knows" to see. If you need a reason I'd just say for privacy reasons of students and myself. Good luck!

6. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Nov 2, 2020

Update- guess there was sooo much push back and threats to leave that they decided we didn't need to do that except the virtual teachers which they all ready were.

Tired Teacher and Backroads like this.
  7. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Nov 7, 2020

I am happy for you and your school. It is awesome for teachers to push back when they are being told to do something like that and they don't feel comfy w/ it. Teachers have so much power when they stand together.