How would you answer these interview questions?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mrs. White, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Mrs. White

Mrs. White Rookie

Aug 6, 2015

Questions that threw me off.

1. Are you the kind of person who has to socialize with coworkers after work?
    I thought "has to" was key, but I didn't want to sound unsociable.

2. Are you the students' friend? I said, no I am a friendly teacher. Peers are the friends.

3. If every one failed the test what would you do?

4. how do you know the students are learning? Giving tests seemed to obvious and not very creative.

5. And would you believe----Do you consider yourself a whistle blower? (I actually said, if you need a whistle blower don't hire me. (I dont want to be surrounded by criminals who need a watch dog.) then I said yes, I am.--then the faces fell and sadly I was hired--where they need more than a whistle blower.

3. 4815162342

4815162342 Companion

Aug 6, 2015

1. Its not something that is necessary, but it can help build staff solidarity, which can be good.

2. Your answer is pretty good to me.

3. Reassess where I need to reteach and change my teaching method. Retest after trying the lesson again.

4. By seeing if they are engaged, asking higher order thinking questions, etc

5. I'm not even completely sure what a whistle blower is. Like a tattle tale?

4. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 6, 2015

I have mixed feelings with this question. I'm not sure how it pertains to a teaching job especially because it deals with after the work day.

It would make me weary about working for this district.

5. TeachCafe

TeachCafe Comrade

Aug 6, 2015

#1 must mean there's some cattiness.

I come to work for the students so getting along with coworkers helps us all be a better team for the students and that's what it's all about. When it comes to true socializing that would just have to come if a true friendship strikes. Other than that, I'm one to stop in a coworkers classroom and chat before and after work and talk about the day, what worked, and just common light conversation.

The latter is about how social I get. I do the stop by chit chat "Oh I saw that movie! It was so good." My across the hall neighbor teachers we all talked about our dogs before and after school.

Happy hour type of socialization is a no. A LOT of teachers at my old school met up at a pub 20 minutes from campus at least monthly for happy hour after school but that wasn't me at all.

I'd say no to that school. Those questions will think quick on your feet make me pause. A whistleblower? :eek:How many positions are open? That give you a clue if people walked or were fired then something is wrong there.

6. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 6, 2015

A whistle blower is someone like Edward Snowden - willing to do the right thing even if they end up in trouble for reporting it, be it potential prosecution or being blacklisted from your profession.

7. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 7, 2015

Do many teachers get asked those questions? When going on counseling and teaching interviews, no one has asked me any of those questions.

8. Mrs. White

Mrs. White Rookie

Aug 7, 2015

Your right about the district having some problems and issues. I took another job with more travel.
    I thought they were fishing for drinkers, and I like everyone's reply. I guess I could have said not if they are drinking.
    I said it would be nice if I found common interests but if not we would work together in the best interest and goals of students at school.

The truth--Are you kidding? Im too tired; I go to bed at nine!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2015

:eek:hmy:Just because someone thinks they are doing "the right thing" doesn't make it so.

Strange question to be asked on a school interview, but one would hope that schools would always have students' best interest at heart.

10. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2015

I haven't been asked #1 and 2 in "real" interviews but have seen similar questions on those "teacher insight" type tests that some schools use with applications.

I've been asked #3 before. The obvious answer is that you didn't teach the material well enough/need to go back and explain things differently- EVERY student failing means there is a problem with the instruction. We ask #4 in our interviews. We are looking for people to talk about how they use/analyze data.

It would worry me if I were asked #5 in an interview. It just seems like a very odd thing to ask. I do remember my college roommate being asked questions like that on a personality test used to hire people for work in retail (like the teacher insight test, but for other jobs). I've never seen it on one for teachers though.

11. teachsph2008

teachsph2008 Companion

Aug 10, 2015

Question #5-To be honest, I have no idea how I would answer it if I was in an actual interview. This is how I would like to respond though.

If by whistle blower, you mean someone who runs to admin every time a coworker does something wrong, then no. That is not my job. However, if you are referring to someone who would report an illegal activity even if they felt uncomfortable, then yes, I'm a whistle blower.

This question would make me pause. I would likely go home and Google the district to see if anything major has happened. Sounds like either they had a recent incident or they have shady practices and are trying to weed out people who would tell. I hope it's not the latter!