How would you address this situation?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mckbearcat48, Aug 9, 2017.

1. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 9, 2017

I am certified in ELA and Social Science 6-12, but taught science last year at an alternative school. There is a good chance that I will be teaching math this year as well as science. I was wondering what the best way to answer questions about it during an interview.

I told the interviewer at my last interview that although I am certified in two other areas, I took the assignment presented to me and worked as hard as I could to "look like a science teacher" in the classroom. My goal is to teach in a public school in one of my two areas of certification...but for now, I owe the kids and staff at the alternative school my best every day--and I will give it to them.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2017

What would you need to do to become certified in science/math? Is it simply passing the Praxis exams, or is there a need for so many hours of coursework/sequencing in the college transcript? Do you have a SPED endorsement? What would you need to do to acquire that?

4. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 9, 2017

It takes 24 college hours of science or math with 12 upper division hours to qualify to take the Content Area test. I have 10 science hours and 8 math with only 3 of them being in the upper division (science). LBS-1 I would need 9 credit hours and a field placement (which seems like the easier of the two routes). I don't worry too much about tests (I'm actually a pretty good test taker for what it's worth). I enjoyed teaching science (Chemistry is the one area I really like), but I really would like to teach my cert areas.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2017

OK, so you have the lower division hours in science, more or less, and not as many hours towards math. You have a couple of choices that immediately jump out at me. You might want to consider checking to see if any of the science or math CLEP exams would meet the requirements for upper division courses, and see if you could test out by earning college credits through the CLEP exams. It seems to me that there are several courses in both science and math available. Many times if you go with the SPED endorsement, that will cover you on any content where you are placed. Either of these routes will do nothing but improve how you look to prospective employers, IMHO.

You may be able to take online courses that would meet the requirements for either science or math. I like them. Generally short and sweet, and that might get you where you need to go, and then some, since you would then possess those credentials as well. I suspect anything you do to acquire more credits is a win/win.

6. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 9, 2017

Yeah, I'm looking into "testing out" of some of the requirements. As for the interview question, what is the "best" way to answer it (teaching outside of cert area)?

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2017

You are actively working on acquiring the endorsements because you want to be a well qualified instructor, but for now, as you are fulfilling state requirements, you are filling the school's needs as requested. They are aware of your coursework and what you bring to the table. I agree that if this is an alternative school, the SPED route may be the most productive.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2017

Is your alternative school actually viewed as a private school? If so, they tend to have great leeway. Showing that you are actively acquiring the needed courses to be able to take the teacher assessments because that is important to you, well, that speaks to your need to always do and be your best. I find it easy to talk about myself as a lifelong learner, because it is how I see myself. No BS - just who I am. I think that you are likewise self motivated to go after your personal best, and that is a positive, not a negative.

9. mckbearcat48

mckbearcat48 Cohort

Aug 9, 2017

You nailed it. We are considered a public school in Illinois (Regional Office of Education), but one with significant leeway like you said. You are right on why I'm doing it too...I want to keep learning and keep getting better every day...kids deserve that and more. If I can be better as a science teacher today, it can only help me find that ELA/SS job later on.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2017

And now you have nailed the answer for the interviews. ;)

11. DAH

DAH Companion

Aug 9, 2017

Good luck.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017