How would this be handled at the teacher end?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 31, 2017

I have a student who has not come to school for a week now. Last week, her last day before this extended break, she and her family were informed that she needed to pay her lunch balance (over 200$) or simply receive a "simple lunch" (as it is called, consisting of a sandwich, milk and veggies the state coves) when she does not bring her home lunch. She generally brings her own lunch, but those days she hasn't have added up. Any who, her parents are upset by this (yes, they have been notified regularly of the balance) and are no longer sending her until the school agrees to forgive the bill.

Yes, that is stuff that's way over my responsibility, but this is also my lowest student and we were just getting into the groove of interventions for her. Now I'm worried that when/if she does return, we're going to be further behind.

Any suggestions on what I can do on my end?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 31, 2017

That would be a truancy issue! Are excessive absences taken care of by a truancy officer or something?

I don't see how you can do anything else other than volunteer to go to her home and homeschooler her...which I wouldn't do. Her parents are hurting this child and it is nothing you can really do.

If you don't have a truancy officer, could CPS get involved? I mean she is missing school and apparently they don't have the money to buy her meals (past and current) or make them.

4. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Jan 31, 2017

I have a student who has missed 33 days out of about 93 because he missed the first week of school too. Anyway in our state they have changed the truancy laws. Anyone under 10, the truancy laws do not apply. So no I can't do anything about him being gone. Also CPS doesn't give a rats behind that he has missed 33 days. "We can't force his mom to take him to school" CPS was called for neglect and well basically they have closed the case because "we can't tell them how to live" The boy and his bother both come to school filthy, sick, and just plain not taken care of. and because neither one of the boys will verbalize that they are not being taken care of there is nothing they can or will do. We did what we are supposed to do and NOTHING was done to this family. it's a crying shame what our CPS can and can not do.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 31, 2017

If the parents are deliberately withholding an education from their child, that could be considered abuse by neglect. I agree with the truancy / CPS route, leaning toward the latter if there is an age issue with truancy.

6. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 31, 2017

Fortunately, admin is handling it on their end with laws and truancy and stuff (Utah is very particular about charters), but since we're a charter it may end up as "Fine, we're not going to your stupid school" situation.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  7. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 31, 2017

Wow... well, if they miss so much and can't pass, then there is the punishment but the kid suffers.

Backroads likes this.
  8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2017

My question is: how in the world does the student rack up $200 in charges?! My daughter's school only allows 2 charges before giving students get a simple lunch.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 31, 2017

I would think your admin would handle that, right? As much as we want to help our students as much as we can, there's only so much we can control. Ultimately, this is not something you can control.