How would students describe your class?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2014

Pick three adjectives that you think students would use to describe your class. Be realistic, not idealistic, in your selection. :)

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 28, 2014

My students would probably write everything in textspeak just to hear me insist upon translations, but they would probably boil down to interactive, interesting, and open. That last one is that they know I'm open to interpretations of the reading I might not have originally considered, as long as they can "back with facts" from the text.

4. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Dec 28, 2014

Fun, serious, interesting. It's not fun every minute of every day but I think I do a pretty good job of having fun when we can. But it's serious too in that they know we have high expectations for them and they can't waste any time. They always seem to be engaged/interested in what we're doing, even when I thought it might be a little on the boring side (of course I never tell them that).

5. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2014

Amended answer since I didn't read the question right.

They hate my class. I don't let them run it, which means they hate it. I've been told by my P to do straight lecture style- they are not allowed to work in groups. That makes it difficult to do any hands-on. They don't follow directions and they don't get along with each other.
    So they take notes and they do bookwork. I hate it. I'm bored. I've tried going rogue and ignoring my P's directions, but it always fails miserably. So I follow her directions.
    They expect me to just give them the answers. I'm mean for not doing so.

So, in adjectives, I'm sure they wouldn't be nice.

To answer for previous years, interesting, engaging, and rigorous. I always did PBL type lessons. I was the STEM expert at my old school. I even taught PD and co-presented at a conference. It kills me to be stuck in the hole that I am in. I will be job seeking (again) next year. If I do return (big if here), I'm told next year's group of kids is completely normal. Our district is small- two buildings. So our specials teachers literally have/had every student. I'm told my current group has been full of problems since K and no other group is like this. Everyone is perplexed. (And, amazingly, I'm told they are much better this year than past years!)

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2014

Fun, exciting, caring

7. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Dec 28, 2014

The ones who love math:
    Fun, challenging, engaging

The ones who hate math:
    Hard, stupid, torturous

8. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 28, 2014

depends upon the students.

I have heard, however, that many students tell their friends that my class is really hard but lots of fun.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2014

Whoa. Sleep deprived reading comprehension problems. I read how would you describe your students. Answer amended :blush: :tired: :crosseyed

48 hours with a teething baby has me a bit tired. Since I don't have kids, it was like being throw to the wolves! And the poor baby didn't feel good, so I'm sure she wanted her mommy. Making it worse. I will probably sleep like the dead tonight!

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Dec 28, 2014

I just got feedback from my students. The words I saw the most:
    Fun
    Relaxed
    Caring
    Organized

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 28, 2014

Strict, interesting, and boring.

Yes. They would describe it as both interesting AND boring, because kids are contradictory like that.

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 28, 2014

I think they would agree on one thing: lot of work (not sure how to put that in 1 adjective, I'd say high expectations, but my students wouldn't use that word).
    Then they would all say different things: awesome, interesting, different, weird (because I'm always teaching them things they haven't much heard of), boring, too hard, fun, wack :)

13. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2014

The best class of the day for the big majority. They run screaming and hollering in ecstacy to my class. Of course it is outside to play and they are not inside SITTING at a desk simplifying fractions or searching some long reading on historic FLa for an obscure Spaniard that built a fort 400 years ago. PE rocks and always will. btw I love working with fractions and history.

14. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2014

Fun
    Unpredictable
    Challenging

15. GeetGeet

GeetGeet Companion

Dec 29, 2014

Depends on the class because each one is different, but I would probably say:

fun
    hard/easy (I know its a contradiction, but three of my classes are pretty hard, and two are pretty easy)
    encouraging