How Will You Spend Your Next Day(s) Off?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 9, 2008

I have the next 2 days off from work (Mon & Tues). How will you spend your next day or two off?

I still have to go to school tomorrow since I'm a student myself. I wake up at 4:50am on Mondays these days, but at 11:15, I'm free for the rest of the day. Tuesday, I'm completely free.

I'll probably go to the gym or walk my dog, read/study, watch TV, get online, maybe shop just a tad.

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2008

Wow! We only have tuesday off! :( I really would like Monday and Tuesday off, espcecially since tomorrow, I will probably have to take over a sub's job (I was forewarned that they are going to pull my partner teacher's sub and that I will have to take over).

I plan to use Tuesday to do laundry, clean the garage, study, and go to my night class (college only has monday off). Maybe I'll go to the gym.

4. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Nov 9, 2008

Days off?? What are those?? hahaha, I'm just trying to survive until Thanksgiving break, we haven't had one since Labor Day and knock on wood, I haven't had to use a sick day.

5. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Nov 9, 2008

I have tomorrow off, and my dh has Tuesday off. I am sleeping late, finishing my plans, and making my sub plans for Wednesday (I have a drs appt.). I may even clean, and watch some trashy tv :)

6. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Nov 9, 2008

We only have Tuesday off. I plan on spending the day working on assignments from my MA classes.

I spent all day today cleaning and writing a scholarship application essay.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2008

We have just Tuesday.

It's my mother in law's birthday, her first without dad. So we're driving out there (about a 45 minute drive) and taking her out to lunch.

8. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Nov 9, 2008

I don't have any days off this week. Although I do have a sub tomorrow PM for a district meeting. Although in 13 days...I'll be off for a WHOLE week! I am very excited about that!

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 9, 2008

We have Tuesday off. I'll be spending most of the day grading papers to get ready for grades to close and getting some work done for the stupid mentoring program I'm in.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 9, 2008

Yes, I have the whole Thanksgiving wk off too! I like watching certain cook shows, especially around Thanksgiving & Christmas time! :)

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Nov 9, 2008

Wow, you get the whole week off for Thanksgiving? We have an early release day on Wednesday and then have Thursday and Friday off.

12. NewGirl23

NewGirl23 Rookie

Nov 9, 2008

No days off for us either.....our next day is Wednesday, November 26th.....you guys who do get days off make sure you enjoy it enough for all of us : )

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 9, 2008

Wow, I'm saddened to hear that some schools are open for Vetran's Day.

14. 1stesl

1stesl Rookie

Nov 9, 2008

Yes, it'll be a long day too....we have school, after school tutorials, and then a PTO program that night.

15. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 9, 2008

I get Tuesday off. I'll be doing report cards and designing this week's centers. Blah.

16. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 9, 2008

Ooooooh, I need this day off SO badly! It's my first day off since school started, weekends included. I've scheduled a hair appointment-my roots are inches long now. I'll also be getting my eyebrows waxed. I'm taking the ferry into the city for both of those appointments, so I also plan on walking around Market Street and shopping. I've been a shop-a-holic lately, and I plan on feeding the need tomorrow!

17. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Nov 9, 2008

I'm so glad we have Tuesday off, but I wish we had tomorrow off too! I'll be spending my day grading papers and filling out report cards. I'm also looking forward to our Thanksgiving break, hopefully it will come quickly; Tuesday off then next week we have minimum days W-F for conferences, then all week off for Thanksgiving!!! Yipee!

18. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Nov 9, 2008

We use our conference exchange days on Monday and Tuesday. In one words, it's amazing!

19. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Nov 9, 2008

I wish we had off....I could use a day. We don't since students had off last Monday/ Tuesday. (End of the grading period teacher workdays/ Parent-Teacher Conferences)
    We do have an assembly about Veteran's Day at school tomorrow to celebrate it.

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2008

School is in session tomorrow, but I will not be there. (Long story- on Friday I was having the gas turned on to my new house [closed Friday as well]. My window was 8-12. There was an accident on the expressway and I didn't get there until 8:15. Gas man had come and gone already! And wouldn't come back! So, I have no heat or hot water. So, I have to be here tomorrow for them to come back!).
    So, tomorrow, wake up and run to school to do sub plans. Then, be back by 8 to wait for the gas man. While waiting, paint the trim in my house. After the gas man leaves, I have to run to Home Depot for more paint. And to WalMart for some super heavy duty Lysol. Go home, and paint more. Wash dishes, do laundry, clean blinds, clean windows, clean bathtub, etc... Hopefully I fit it in!
    Tuesday would be to paint the bathrooms, more cleaning, get carpet installed and start unpacking everything but the bathrooms and kitchen. Tile will take a few more weeks....

21. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2008

I'll be taking a day off next week, and I plan on working on things I've put off around the house. Clean the garage, repair a cracked window pane, replace burnt out lightbulbs. I don't want to spend my weekends doing things like that. I'd rather take a paid day off if I'm going to work around the house!

22. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 10, 2008

Why? Personally, I think it's great. The kids learn more about the day's significance by coming to school than they do staying home and watching TV or going to the mall of whatever. In years past we have had eithe MLKJ Day or Presidents Day off, but never both (it rotated.) I always made sure to do special activities on those days to highlight their importance. This year we get both days off. We have school tomorrow.

Our next scheduled day off is the Wed before Thanksgiving. I'll be spending that day in the kitchen baking pies. I took today off as a sick day because I'm getting over a nasty cold, and I'm doing school stuff and cleaning all day (except when I'm hanging out here. :blush:)

23. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 10, 2008

Our district is off Tues.(Nov 11th) for Veterin's Day. As a sub it depends on the week as to how many off days I get. ( Just so you know I am at work now but my kids are in P.E. now. I never get on the computer when they are in the room.) I am saving up to go to North Carolina for a ski trip in Jan. so I am takin all the work oppertunities I am given. For the 11th - I will be waiting on the people my parents bought our new washer and dryer from to dilever it. Then I will be trying it ou by doing laundry the rest of the day. No college classes though so yah!! I am also off Thursay but idk what I am going to be doing yet.

24. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 10, 2008

Scrach what I said I was doing Tues. LOL! I am mad the company that we got the washer and dryer from said that they can not diliver on Tue. It is a holiday for them too. I need to wash clothes soon! LOL! Pray that they can come on Thur. seeing as I am working wed.

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 10, 2008

Maybe a trip to the store for new clothes is in your future!

26. djmondi

djmondi Comrade

Nov 10, 2008

I am working on next week's lesson plans while we drive 84 miles to go get our crib. Then I'm hiding while my husband puts it together...

27. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 10, 2008

I wished..but ever penny is being saved for my trip!

28. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2008

Because opening the schools makes it less of a day of remembrance, and makes it just another day. It reduces Veteran's Day to something on the level of Groundhog Day-- something we recognize as a postscript, not something worthy of real remembrance.

Schools close for Thanksgiving, and for Memorial Day, and for Labor Day, because those are particularly American Holidays. Each honors something we hold as important. Veteran's Day honors those who have served in the past to keep us safe.

While I don't think a huge sale is the WAY to honor those who have served to keep us safe, I'm concerned that we need to preserve this day. If we don't work to keep it important, then after a while it becomes just another day.

I think it's too important to run that risk.

29. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Nov 10, 2008

We have school on Tuesday, but we are out Thursday and Friday for professional development. These two days are flex days that I did over the summer, so I get to stay home! I will enjoy sleeping :)

30. irx7fani

irx7fani Rookie

Nov 10, 2008

Sadly, working on my master research paper for my administration MA.

31. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2008

Cleaning and grading college essays, but at least I get to sleep until 6!

32. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Nov 10, 2008

I'm jealous of all of those off! We had school on Election Day and will be there tomorrow as well :( We have Thurs and Fri off Thanksgiving though, and I'll be spending it driving all over the state with my DF so we can see our families for Thanksgiving.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 10, 2008

TODAY, I was up at 4:50am to go to my college classes 45 min away. Then, did a little grocery shopping on the way back. Finally, my mom & I went to the mall & had dinner at California Pizza Kitchen!

TOMORROW - Completely free day & I'm sleeping in! :D

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2008

That's right... rub it in!!! :)

Even if I could sleep past 5:30 or 6 am, there would most certaily be the pitter patter of little feet on the stairs accompanyied by " Mommy, can we snuggle???"

35. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Nov 10, 2008

aw thats so cute!

36. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2008

Cuter at 8:25 PM than at 5:25 am, but I agree.

Of course, it means I trade my nice comfy bed for snuggles and Dragontales on PBS....

37. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 10, 2008

So maybe my next day off will be tomorrow?

"THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORTH PLATTE HAS ISSUED A WINTER
    WEATHER ADVISORY FOR SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 AM CST /8
    AM MST/ TUESDAY.

MODERATE SNOWFALL...OCCASIONALLY BECOMING HEAVY WITH RATES OF 1 TO
    3 INCHES PER HOUR...ARE EXPECTED OVER THE WARNED AREA. TOTAL
    SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 3 TO 5 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE BY TUESDAY
    MORNING. VISIBILITIES MAY BE REDUCED AT TIMES TO LESS THAN A
    MILE...AND TRAVEL WILL BECOME HAZARDOUS AS SNOW ACCUMULATES ON
    ROAD SURFACES."

Not so bad, if there wasn't already an inch of frozen rain on the ground!

I think I'll wash all of our blankets. That way if we do have school, I won't be too disappointed!

38. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2008

Just be sure those blankets are dried before you go to bed. I would hate to lose power (in my house that means heat too) and have no warm blankets.

39. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 10, 2008

Me too! I have the bathtub full of water so we can flush. The wires tend to go first. And our fireplace runs off propane, with a battery operated backup fan, thank goodness.

40. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Nov 10, 2008

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN OMAHA/VALLEY HAS ISSUED A
    FREEZING RAIN ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM CST
    TUESDAY.

OCCASIONAL RAIN WILL CONTINUE OVERNIGHT...WITH TEMPERATURES
    HOVERING RIGHT AT FREEZING. THUS THE RAIN WILL FREEZE ON MOST
    SURFACES WHEN IT FALLS. ELEVATED SURFACES...SUCH AS
    BRIDGES...OVERPASSES AND DECKS...WILL LIKELY BECOME SLICK. ICE
    WILL ALSO ACCUMULATE ON TREES...FENCES...GRILLS...AND CARS. WHILE
    WELL TRAVELED ROADS SHOULD REMAIN WET...LESS TRAVELED
    ROADS
    COULD SEE SOME ICY SPOTS.

SINCE TEMPERATURES WILL BE NEAR FREEZING...ICE ACCUMULATION
    SHOULD ONLY TOTAL ABOUT A TENTH OF AN INCH. TEMPERATURES SHOULD
    NUDGE ABOVE FREEZING EARLY TUESDAY MORNING...ALLOWING FOR MELTING
    TO OCCUR BEFORE THE MORNING DRIVE TIME.

That's what we have around here. It has been sleeting/raining off and on since about 1:00 this afternoon and is supposed to continue overnight. It doesn't sound like we'll get the day off though. But who knows? If the temps drop just a few degrees lower than expected we may have a real mess on our hands.

41. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 11, 2008

6:02 am and she's up!