How will you Improve?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sophie1, Jul 27, 2008.

1. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

What is one (or two) thing(s) you will do to become a better teacher in the coming year?

I will improve by~ being more organized and by staying away from the gossip as much as possible.

3. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

I've made a vow not to be negative or let the surrounding gossip interfere with setting a good example for others. I'll have my moments, but I'll keep them to myself.

I decided to add some more engaging things in my classroom like my cash register and virtual class pet.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

I agree with staying away from the gossip and drama that is abundant at my school and will make sure I remain organized as well. I also want to really hone in on guided reading and doing it more effectively.

5. lincoln11

lincoln11 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

What site do you use for your virtual class pet?

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2008

I am going to be a completely different teacher. I;m talking a 180 degree turn!
    Last year I moved here to NC to teach. When the year started I was not solid emotionally. Pair that with my bully-ish mentor next door and that made for a miserable year. I also had a stacked class (very low) thanks to my bullyish mentor. So, last year I just did things the way I was told (I gave up fighting by October).
    Well, this year, my P moved classrooms. I am not near the teacher in question and I am pretty sure my P is going to assign me a new mentor (maybe not since another mentor teacher was just diagnosed with cancer so we are down a mentor teacher). I am not going to listen to anyone (well, except my P). I know now the curriculum and I am going to do things MY way!!! Which should make me a happier teacher, therefore a better teacher ;)

7. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jul 27, 2008

:2cents:
    I am sorry you had such a horrible experience last year with your mentor,but I think it would be a big mistake to give up on accepting advice from other teachers.I think teachers have a lot to offer each other when they work together and share ideas.Of course,you know your class the best and should adjust each lesson to their needs and your teaching style.Teaching can become very lonely if you don't find a fellow teacher to discuss things with. Just pick the teacher yourself,it does not have to be the mentor the principal picked for you.

8. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

We are beginning a new literacy model this year as a whole school, so I will be very busy learning that. I would like to focus more and improve on Reading Workshop.

9. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

Wow, very nice ideas! I will also do my best to make reading centers a successful experience for my students.

10. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 27, 2008

I'm going to improve my "stick-to-it-ness". Stick to using my moveable pic schedule with the kids, stick to the routine as much as possible at circle time (correlating activity with related story - ex. weather activity w/ weather book, color with color book, letter with letter book, etc. Tying it all in together better).

11. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I am going to improve in my written feedback to students on assignments. I am also going to improve on checking center assignments.

12. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 27, 2008

I vow to push myself more in the classroom as the inclusion teacher, whether my reg ed teacher likes it or not!

13. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jul 27, 2008

I want to use some sort of a website or at least a site like engrade.com so that parents can easily see what's happening in my classroom. I'm very excited for this year because I'm changing both grade level and subject matter. I know I will learn so much this year and I can't wait!

14. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

I am going to start the year organized and then STAY THAT WAY! Last year I started off good, but by Nov. it had all gone down hill.
    I am going to listen to the opinions of the bully-ish teacher that is next to me, but not let her have the final say in what happens in my room this year. We are different people and have different styles. I will respect her opinion and join her if it sounds good... otherwise....
    I am going back to the happy teacher I was year before last and try very hard to not dwell on the negative. Accept the things I cannot change and change those things that I can. :) (Ask me in Feb. how that's going)

I have lots of new ideas to try with my class too. Poetry notebooks, calendar binders, I'm thinking about doing the take home stuffed animal thing - not sure though...

15. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I am glad I found this thread...I have been having a hard time getting motivated to plan this school year. My best friend (actually the person who posted right before me!) has been helping me find my motivation and just last night I sent her an email with my goals for this year. This is a perfect place for me to share them!

1. I will spend more time teaching procedures and expectations in the beginning of the year and when introducing new activities.
    2. I will not complain about my class in front of any other teacher, parent, or the principal.
    3. I will have a smile on my face and say hello to anyone I meet in the hallway/playground at school.
    4. I will be more organized – copies will be made the day before I plan to do them.
    5. I will be sure to send copies of letters I will be sending home to the principal.
    6. I will make sure that I speak with my principal before I make any changes to my discipline or reward plan or any other changes in the classroom.
    7. I will not be talked to about my tone of voice this year. My classroom will be a pleasant place to be because I will have taught my students what my expectations are.
    8. I will not compare what I do with what the other kindergarten teacher does. I am my own teacher and I follow the curriculum. I proved myself last year, and I don’t need to stress about that this year. I am a good teacher.
    9. I will have fun doing what I have always wanted to do. My dream to teach has come true and I need to be thankful. There are still teachers out there looking for a job. I have one and I need to make the most of it.

16. Lindzee82

Lindzee82 Companion

Jul 27, 2008

These are great goals! You are going to have such a good year because you survived last year. You know what you may face going into this year and you know how to handle it. You will have a different group of kids and your class will be so lucky to have you. I am always here for you! I will be checking in with you in February to see how you are doing! :hugs: