How will CBEST scores be used?

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Pennyfoolish, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Pennyfoolish

Pennyfoolish New Member

Feb 22, 2010

Hello all,

I just passed the CBEST, which is good, but other than doing well in the math section, my scores were so-so. I was wondering if anyone here knows how the scores will be used in applying to credentialing programs. Do they affect admissions requirements at certain schools?

Thanks!

3. MissSkippyjonJones

MissSkippyjonJones Comrade

Feb 22, 2010

The score numbers for the CBEST and CSET are not the important thing, passing is. All districts and credential programs that I know of just check that you have passed your tests, not what score you received.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 22, 2010

Scores on CBEST and CSET are certainly not supposed to be used in hiring decisions - which is why a passing score is reported as PASSED, not as a numerical score, and why the performance diagnostics for CSET are on the part of the score report that doesn't go to institutions.

5. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 22, 2010

Hey congrats on passing the CBEST! Now you can apply to be a substitute teacher at the schools you like. Good luck and we are all here to help you.

6. Pennyfoolish

Pennyfoolish New Member

Feb 22, 2010

Thank you! Speaking of which, are there new requirements that make certain substitutes (in science, for example) pass the subject CSET before substituting in their respective fields?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 22, 2010

On the state level, no - but an individual district certainly has the right to choose to be even more restrictive as to who is allowed to swim (so to speak) in their pool of substitutes, and in the current economy it doesn't at all surprise me to hear that districts here and there are exercising that right.