How went your first day?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 17, 2015

Today is the first day of school (lunch time!). Feeling pretty good, though I fear I have a chatty class. I have a few parents fighting me on my policy of no kids in the classroom before the bell, but I think that will work itself out. There were two sudden arrivals, but that seems to be the norm in the first were of a charter school, and they both seem like great kids. Procedure lessons are going well (save for the problem of a few kids who are struggling with not conversing with each other about every procedure). May the rest of the day go well!

Feel free to post when you hit your first day of school!

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2015

Today was my first day back, but no kids til next week. Today was basically a seven hour meeting.

4. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 17, 2015

We have a school-wide policy that no parents are allowed on campus after the first week of school (without having an appointment). Additionally, students aren't allowed in classrooms until the bell rings (unless prior arrangements have been made between teacher/student). My principal and I are very, very protective of our teachers' time.

Today has been a great first day. Per usual, we had some hysterical kindergarteners (first time being away from mom is hard), but that was to be expected.

5. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 17, 2015

Our principal lets the kids-in-the-class-prior-to-bell be up to each teacher, and I suppose to each their own. But we have paras out watching the recess area, we have breakfast, the library is open... I would rather use my morning for prep rather than entertaining kids and even (gasp) helping them (at least as a matter of course, if we feel we need to use some morning time to give a struggling kid extra help, so be it. But as a general rule, I want my mornings

We do apply no parents to after school. We have a pick-up system that works great when followed, but when we have the parents who want to be the exception, it quickly falls apart. So the policy is "Pick up your child at the designated pick up spot".

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 17, 2015

I agree. In the mornings I'm running around like crazy making last-minute copies, writing on the whiteboards, and setting up. The last thing I need is to have some kids drop by and start chatting me up. I'm fine doing it during lunch time and even after school, but not my mornings. They're frantic enough as it is.

The only exception is if I have some piece of set up that I could have kids do (i.e. count M&Ms, cut pieces of string, etc.). In that case I usher some of them in to do it for me.

7. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Aug 18, 2015

That's what I have to look forward to tomorrow. Oh joy.
    I went out yesterday and spent about five hours working on my room, and I'm so glad I did! I changed classrooms this year, and the previous teacher left the room in a mess! (A little bit of advice: if you're vacating a classroom, TAKE OR TOSS YOUR STUFF. ALL OF IT! You're not "helping" the incoming teacher by leaving behind shelves, cupboards, and file cabinets full of junk you don't want. Because guess what! The incoming teacher probably doesn't want it either!)
    Anyway, five straight hours (no eating, drinking, going potty, or socializing) and I have the room in a somewhat decent state. Going back today for more, so at least when I'm sitting in the all-day meeting tomorrow I don't be worrying about what needs to be done in my room!

Kids are back a week from today!

8. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Aug 18, 2015

Today was my first day with kids back! We don't pull our EC kids for small groups until next week, though, so I mostly just went around and checked in with my kids that I knew might be having a rough first day back and introduced myself to the new ones.

Amazingly, four kids who were supposed to be on my caseload have moved. It makes me nervous, because a big part of the reason I got to move to this school full time was because of the huge numbers EC teachers had at the end of last year. Now I've got a (dare I say it and jinx myself?) smallish-caseload compared to last year.

Of course, I'm sure that will change, but I'm going to enjoy it for now!

9. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 18, 2015

I'm anxiously waiting to head back... I have a anti-bullying workshop in 2 days to attend with some faculty (off campus) and then I don't have to go back until September 1st for CPR-training (on campus). September 2nd we start in-service days. Our first full day of academic classes is not until September 10th!!!!! (And less than a month later we start parent-teacher conferences)

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 18, 2015

I'm on week three.

It's going great. I'm looping with the kids from last year, so we already knew each other. I'm loving my new classroom, and the kids have been great.

11. oneteacher

oneteacher Rookie

Aug 18, 2015

Our first day is Thursday (Aug 20). This is my 2nd year and I'm excited to get started. I've heard from other teachers and the secretary that I have some hard kids this year. I'm a bit nervous for that. We'll see how things go...

12. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 18, 2015

First day was awesome! We usually have a lot of the same students, but this year lots of new faces and most of them are freshmen - more difficult for me, because the younger they are, they harder they are for me. But they were all great.

Today was day 2, and it all went great as well. I had 2 students already trying to show off, (I know both very well), one of them kept pushing the buttons so much that I had to send him out and write him up.
    I felt annoyed that I had to do that, already on day 2, but it was the right thing to do, because he thinks he's a big shot gang member now and is trying to prove himself to others, so he kept acting out all tough. Well, I had to shut him down, can't let him destroy otherwise awesome class climates. I thought my P might look at me with a face of "really? wrote him up already?" but after talking to her it was the right thing to do. Perfect example of shutting things down early to prevent trouble, as all other kids are paying attention and are learning how far they can go.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 19, 2015

I, too, refer to this as "shutting it down."

Way to go, Linguist! :clap:

14. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Aug 19, 2015

Today is our first day with students (I'm on my lunch break) and the level of excitement and enthusiasm is almost overwhelming.

So far the day has been great. We are departmentalized, so I know most of the students from previous years.

Let's hope it continues to be so positive. It makes things great when they are positive.

15. misswteaches

misswteaches Companion

Aug 21, 2015

Well I'm just going to be honest and admit that I had a really hard first two days. I'm a first year teacher with 4 very difficult students (and 13 very annoyed students) and 2 grade levels in a tiny room. I have been consistent with my behavior management but some of the kids don't care about consequences, at least not the ones they have had so far. So...yeah...first year is off to an interesting start. I haven't cried yet, though. Not sure why that is. :p

16. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 21, 2015

This is my second week with students. So far so good! I'm liking most of my classes, and seem to be getting through to most of my more challenging students. I feel like this is going to be a great year. Something just feels different!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2015

I've been back for 3 weeks, but students don't start until Monday. I don't work directly with students, but the teachers seem to be excited and ready to hit the ground running.

18. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 21, 2015

You'll make it! Just keep up with the consequences and if it keeps happening consider beefing them up.

My school has adopted this office-based consequence system (kicks in whenever our individual class systems determine further consequences are needed). I'm a big believer in keeping as much contained in my class as possible, but it's still nice for my kids to know the office has something.

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 21, 2015

And guess what. Two days later this kid got locked up. Had nothing to do with my write up and he knows that (it never went further than P), but some teachers say he probably wanted to get locked up (home situation, juvie is actually a stable and safe place with caring staff)

20. applecore

applecore Devotee

Aug 22, 2015

Thursday was our first day back...

I had to pull 4 students out to the hall to have a private conversation about their behavior on the first day of school---different times and situations of course. I moved desks the 2nd day, and only had to deal with 1 out in the hall; apparently he's still figuring things out and trying to remember that teachers are the adults in the room, and that you don't say "F...." to the teacher and throw your pencil while shouting "This sucks rocks!"

My coworker had a student decide to throw a temper-tantrum in her room and proceed to urinate on the floor.

Good times ahead!

21. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 22, 2015

My first day is Monday, and I'm super nervous about it!
    It's my first teaching gig outside of a full-day, tuition preschool/daycare setting.
    In fact, I'd bet almost all of the kids have never been in any school/class type setting before.
    And my coworkers keep talking about the behavior problems & uncaring parents, etc. I met a few during meet-the-teacher night and most seemed really nice so we'll see!
    So nervous. I feel like a first-time/brand-new teacher

22. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2015

My first day with kids was last Tuesday...It was a good first day, and really a good first week (minus the hair pulling and choking that did occur between two students). I think I have a pretty nice group this year (a welcome change from my challenging group last year...I really did enjoy last year's group, but they kept me SUPER busy) and they are catching on more quickly to everything than groups I have had in the past.

23. NewKindy1

NewKindy1 Rookie

Aug 23, 2015

This is my first year teaching kindergarten. My first DAY was OK since it was only a half day, but this WEEK was literally hell on earth. I just feel like I'm not going to make it. I deal with inner city minority kids and they are a doozy! They are just defiant! I've been trying WBT, positive reinforcement etc, but it isn't working. I really do have to put in a strict discipline plan, but when I threaten to take away recess, center time etc., it just falls on deaf ears or the students say "I don't care" "are you talking to me". I say " be quiet, sit down" it still falls on deaf ears.
    My aide has more control than I do. It's like the minute I say something they just look at me like I grew a third eye. Ugh!! This feels hopeless. I just feel like I'll never have a controlled classroom :(

24. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Aug 23, 2015

Kindy, I'm sorry you're struggling. Go with the plan anyway even if they complain or criticize it. It's your classroom.

25. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 23, 2015

Kindy, try to keep in mind that often inner city kids (and those with difficult home lives) are used to the negatives. They're used to punishments, threats and are used to having things taken away from them. So you would think taking away recess is a big deal to them, but they're often so used to not having anything or losing anything that they tune it out.
    Rewards and positive reinforcements work much better. And yes, they do need a very strict plan that you follow 100 % of the time and they will figure it out, but they need time to get to know you. As they learn to trust you, they will be more motivated to behave well for you, not because of the punishment or reward.

26. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2015

If your aide can control the kids; maybe the issue is with you as a new teacher having "new teacher struggles/problems" and not the fact that minority kids in the inner-city are a "doozy."

Yes, they can be a "doozy" (I can testify to that), but sometimes the issue lies with the adults' management or lack thereof.

Good luck!

27. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Aug 23, 2015

Have had four days with students so far...I love the honeymoon period! Everything so far feels very positive but I am very aware that with teenagers this could change in a split second.

I did look at the data of my students. I have over ninety percent english language learners. wowza. A couple of them are gifted so I feel really challenged on how to scaffold so they understand, and also keep them working at a rigor they can find rewarding. And as for my super chatty students - they are going to be my "tutors." (the advantage of working with upper grades!)