How weird do you guys think it'll be to add my mother's maiden name to my married nam

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2010

Would that be really weird? I know teachers at my school have both name (but from their father's name) along with their married name with a hyphen. One reason is because I want to honor my mom who's had to live a really hard life and because my married name (and maiden name) both refer to something pretty sexual and I'm tired of being made fun of. As a kid, I had to grow up with annoying nicknames, and now as an adult, I'll have kids tattle on each other because so and so made fun of my married name. I guess I"m just sick and tired of it. My mom's maiden name is normal but cool sounding. So, if I add it on, I would still keep my married name, but have my kids just call me by my other name (which is what the teacher's at my school do, they are called by one of their last names).

Sooo, would that be weird? I know my hubby would tell me that's weird, no one does that. So, I want to see what you guys would say about it.

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2010

So you would be:

FirstName MiddleName MarriedName Mother'sMaidenName

And be called:

Mrs. Mother'sMaidenName?

Hey, sounds fine to me. I'm not one to get too hung up on these traditions. Whatever will make you happy. I would take my husband's and mother's opinion into consideration, and then choose based on how I felt after speaking to them.

4. Momma C

Momma C Comrade

Oct 15, 2010

I see the hyphenated (sp) names all the time, and I have no idea "where" the name comes from. I say go for it, if that's what you want. I would probably run it by hubby and mom, too. :thumb:

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2010

I know darn well my mom won't mind at all!! :) My hubby on the other hand doesn't like anything weird or out of the ordinary. I mentioned it to him, but he didn't really say yea or nay.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2010

Heh, yes, you got it! I"m not really a traditional women. Heck, I don't even have a wedding ring and didn't get around to chanigng my name to my married name until like years later. I'm weird. :rolleyes:

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 16, 2010

I say go for mom's maiden name! :thumb: Your hubby's not the one who has to put up w/ the name teasing, etc., so he could probably care less or doesn't understand why you want to go through this complication.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2010

He was shocked, a bit, when I did change my last name to his. He hates his last name. I guess he didn't want me to feel that I had to take it.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 16, 2010

I like my BF's last name. It's kind of common, but spelled very differently, so I just know I'll ALWAYS have to spell it out for people, but that's OK. Even before I met my BF, I've wanted to hyphenate my last name w/ whoever I marry's last name. My last name is very short!

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 16, 2010

Go for it, Peachyness.

I'm the last of my last name. My dad didn't have a boy, so, the name ends with me.

I also was published before I was married, so my maiden name is "out there."

I always thought when I married I'd hyphenate for those reasons. My husband didn't care either way.

But, it was my DAD who freaked! He (surprisingly) didn't want me to keep our name. He wouldn't really explain why, but he was very adamant that I change my name. My dad is pretty conservative, maybe it was a traditional thing.

So, I took my husband's name.

My signature is MUCH prettier and cooler with my married name. :)

11. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 16, 2010

My name is First_Name Middle_Name Mothers_Maiden_Name Last_Name

My dad forced my mom to give me a middle name, because he didn't think that having a mother's maiden name as a middle name is normal.... when my mom is half spanish.

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 16, 2010

This is the time of change. Do it.

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2010

My cousin got rid of her middle name when she got married, and now goes by FirstName MaidenName MarriedName

14. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Oct 16, 2010

Me, too. My middle name and husband's last name rhymed. Not good.

15. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2010

My cousin had just never liked her middle name...

16. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2010

My Middle name is my mother's maiden name.
    but as a teacher of Hispanics I can't stand more than 2
    "names" I had students with as many as 6 names! and the parents wanted you to use all of them

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2010

I kinda like my middle name because it is SOOO Swedish sounding. Think Hilga, Ingrid, type names. That's what I have. I'm going to ask my husband again, when he's not stressing out of his credential class homework assignment.

ETA: I looked up Swedish names and apparently my first name is also Swedish. I thought it was only common among Hispanics.