How was your first week?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by SarahnVA, Sep 9, 2006.

1. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

A lot of us started school last Tuesday and I want to hear how everyone's first week was!

I am exhausted!!!! I'm at school 12 hours almost every day and I feel that I could still stay longer. We had that tropical storm last Friday so they sent us home at 10 in the morning, right after our faculty meeting with only ten minutes to leave. I had nothing planned because we were supposed to plan together as a grade level after the meeting, but we were sent home! Because I only had ten minutes, I only had time to grab my lesson book and a few things I could do at home and leave! Luckily I met with a couple of teachers over the weekend so we could plan together.

My kids are definitely kindergartners! The first day was horrible, just as I knew it would be. They cried a lot because they didn't understand why they couldn't go to housekeeping during circle time or why they couldn't eat when they wanted to, etc. But I was prepared for this. They're also fighting with each other and always talking, but each day is getting better. They're finally starting to see our routine (even though it doesn't feel like the talking issue is getting better).

My room is definitely not ready. I still need to organize a lot of things but the kids don't know this! Its also hard for me because I feel that I have so much stuff to keep track of and I still don't know my new schools procedures with everything. This is my first year so I'm learning so much! I wish more than anything that I could get in my room on a weekend and just work all day without any interruptions.

How is everyone else doing?

3. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 9, 2006

I started a few weeks ago, but my first day resembled yours. It was also terrible. Plus, being my second year, I must have blocked out how hard it was duirng my first year. Before we started, I kept thinking how much fun it will be to teach kindergarten and how great my kids will be...... OH BOY! I was reminded by someone on this website that my good memories of my kids were due to the fact that they were ready for first grade: they knew the routine, behavior was good, and so on. And now, at in the beginning of school, we're dealing with kids who are more at a preschool level. We just finished our fourth week and it is sooo much better than the first and the second week. Can't wait till January. That's when things will really improve. I found that i'm less stressd though and I'm enjoying my time with the kiddos now. We studied Renoir yesturday and we copied one of his paintings. That was a blast. WE also began our name papaer tearing project and they are coming out sooooo cute.

Here's a question that I just remembered. Do you or anyone else have a problem with kids always asking, "When's recess?" "when's lunch?" I haven't had time, but I wasnt to put a picture scheule up on our board with a paper clip. I', or maybe my student helper, will move the paper clip when we move to the next activity. Mabey that way they can look to see when recess is and lunch is. It's funny, they enjoy school and the activites, so I don't understand why some of my kids always ask when it's recess or lunch. No one really asks, though, when it's time to go home.

4. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2006

My first week was pretty good. I adore my class. They are very chatty and kind of grabby (in a friendly way :) ) but very sweet. I only have a couple who are kind of off the hook. WAAAAY better than last year.

I forget from year to year how hard it is this early in the year. They really have no clue what to do. The concept of walking in a line is foreign to them. They are not used to such a rigid schedule and they are so excited about all of the neat stuff in the classroom but then sad because I won't let them just do "whatever."

I have to leave immediately after school each day to meet my son, so some things aren't quite as organized as I'd like them to be. But I am prepared each day to teach, so that is the most important.

We already had our first field trip (yes, during the first week - I must be crazy)! It was GREAT. I actually have a class this year that can walk in a group (we were hiking in the woods) without pushing and shoving and trying to be first.

So, I am very encouraged!

5. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2006

Oh, Peachy, I meant to add:

I've done the picture schedule in the past. I just had a really hard time keeping up with changing it every morning to reflect our day. Near the end of the year I'd have a girl every morning say something like, "We don't have music today!" And I'd have to tell her I hadn't had a chance to change it from the day before.

They just need time to adjust to the routine and set their internal clocks.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2006

That's one reason why I hadn't put the schedule up. I made up my schedule, but am afraid of the commitment. :) Our Wednesday and Friday schedule are the days that are different from the others, so it wouldn't be too bad.

7. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Sep 10, 2006

First week? We just finished FIVE weeks! lol

Things are great!

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 10, 2006

If your mondays are pretty consistent, tuesday are pretty conssitent, etc., you could maybe do a schedule for each day of the week, then you'd just need to change which poster you have up... that might save you time... or make that a class job. ;)

9. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 10, 2006

My first and second week went well until this last Friday... I didn't have a special and it was so so so long. Plus they were starting to kinda be mean to each other. I had a hitter in my afternoon class and a gabber in my morning class. BUT, overall I am pleased.

Everyday they ask me when we are going to go out and play. I hate snack time, but I love their reaction to school. I hope I can keep up!

10. Gail J-kndg

Gail J-kndg Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

I found myself at school 12 hours a day at times. The best advice given to me by one of my peers was to pick a time on the clock and leave, finished or not. The job can very easily take over your life. I have three children of my own, 5 girls across the street, 3 girls behind me and twin boys across the street. All elementary age. I wanted to make up some cute alphabet games out of paper plates as well as alphabet sewing cards etc. It was all just tedious busy work that took forever! So I invited all of those children over to color. I biught them pizza, it was a nice play date for my kids and it gave me the time to work on lesson plans and things they could not help with. I did this only once, but will do it again if the need occurs. It takes three to four years to get yourself established, trying new things only to change and tweek them over the next couple of years. Once you find things that work, it is that much less prep for next year. Then administration purchases a new curriculum and turns everything upside down. Welcome to teaching. It is the greatest job in the world and I wouldn't give it up for anything. Good luck!

11. mccwen

mccwen Comrade

Sep 10, 2006

My first week went really well. So far my kids are just adorable and really seem like the "want to please" kind. Tomorrow they will meet the entire class for the first time. We break the classes up for the first 3 days. We have 1/2 the class for an hour, then the other 1/2 for the next hour. That way I can really work on routines and expectations with a small group of 6-10 instead of 16-22! We used to have them come at the regular time and for the whole morning and it was just exhausting! I get tired of reading the same book 4x/day and going over the same routines 4x/day, but it's well worth it in the end! (I have 2 half-day sessions.)

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 10, 2006

This was the third week of school and I just realized that I was scheduled for lunch duty on Fridays!

Otherwise, things are going well.

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2006

I had a great week! Adorable class, very chatty! Must be because most of them are girls.....hehe! I have one who throws up when I'm not there (lunch, recess, etc)..thank goodness she makes it to the bathroom! Hopefully this is only temporary! EEK!
    I use a picture schedule and couldn't manage without it. It helps the kids, but keeps me on task too, as I'm one who can get so involved in something, I lose total track of time! :)

14. alisoncharm

alisoncharm Rookie

Sep 10, 2006

Does anyone know where to find pictures for a picture schedule?

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 10, 2006

We had three half days this week. They are def not SHY and very CHATTY!! They just keep asking when they can play. I tell them we work first then play. Tomorrow is going to be a long day for them, it will be our 1st full day of school.
    I use a picture schedule and it works well. I just use clip art from Word.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 11, 2006

I got most of my pics from microsoft clip art and the others from Discover.com's clip art.

17. kteach

kteach Rookie

Sep 13, 2006

You could try looking in book for Autistic children, or special ed.

18. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Sep 16, 2006

I love the idea of a picture schedule! I have a schedule on my desk that I'm always checking, mostly to make sure I remember what kind of resource they have. I have a schedule on our board also but its lamanated and I wrote with erasable marker our daily schedule, I didn't even think about adding pictures or a paper clip! Duh!! I'm constantly asked "When is lunch? Are we going outside after lunch?" Like we haven't for the past eight days!!! ;)

This week is going better. Yesterday was pretty rough in the afternoon. I made the mistake and forgot to use the bathroom during their lunch and we didn't have resource that afternoon so I was squirmy! Plus, the talking seemed too much out of control so I took it to the next level today. All day I talked in a soft and mellow voice so they had to be quiet to listen. I also started using "1 2 3 all eyes on me!" and they answer "1 2 all eyes on you!" This gets everyone to look my way. Unfortuantely, they sometimes reply but keep doing what they're doing so I have to say it a couple of times until everyone looks at me. Also, I started playing with their emotions today (is that bad?) If they talk while I talk I pretend to be really sad and say things like "I thought we were all friends, but friends don't talk while they have something to say" and I started commenting only on great tables using 'Star Student Action.' I had a contest to see who could be the best table and get a small cone that says "Good Work" placed on their table. During centers I put on classical music and said that if I couldn't hear the music that means they are playing too loud.

Whew! That's a lot to start this week but it seems soooooo much better than last week. I compiled a lot of ideas from the boards, but also from my fellow team members. I am actually looking forward to tomorrow! I am bringing a coconut for them to taste because we are having a "Chica Chica Boom Boom " week!

19. wifemomteach06

wifemomteach06 Companion

Sep 16, 2006

Very very tiring!!

20. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Sep 17, 2006

Finished my first week, also. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday were alittle rough, but Thursday and Friday were alittle better. The kids are alittle better at sitting in circle, but I still need to remind them that they need to be quiet when I am talking. Lines are still hard for a few. I used the walking rope to get to get to the playground so that no one got lost crossing the street. This year I do not have any one with severe behavioral issues, just 3 who are impulsive and rowdy. But definitely easier than the kid I had last year who was super aggressive, ODD, and ADHD. This year no one hits, kicks, curses, or bites (at least so far). Had more trouble with busing issues and problems with co-ordinating schedules with co-workers.
    I was really tired on Friday. Guess I need to start taking vitamins!