How was your first day?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by RainStorm, Aug 14, 2006.

1. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Aug 14, 2006

For those of you who started today, how was your first day? Was it everything you thought it would be?:love:

3. sweidl

sweidl Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

My first day was last Monday. I thought it went quite well. I made sure that I wrote down EVERYTHING that I wanted to say and go over. I knew I'd forget if I didn't write it down and put the list right in front of me as I was talking. Today I've started to get into the curriculum and it's getting a little more involved! I'm really starting to see how important it is to establish routines and be consistent. I find myself forgetting things throughout the day....not because I am forgetful, but because I am brand new to this field. It's going to be quite an interesting year!

4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 14, 2006

I knew I should have bought a yacker-tracker this year! If talking is an indicator of intelligence, I've got a very smart group! HaHa

5. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 14, 2006

teacherintexas, I just got finished telling my husband something similar.

All three classes were full of chatty kathys, and i say that almost literally. WE have almost double the amount of girls than boys. I told him if they were this talkative on the first day of school, then I don't want to know how talkative they're going to be when they get settled.

This day went by so quickly. I only wish they all did. My throat hurts though, it's a combo of talking and dust.

6. ysalazar

ysalazar Rookie

Aug 14, 2006

I just got home! I am so tired. I wore heels and the pain I feel is horrible. I am definitely taking my house shoes tomorrow. I usually wear some kind of heel but since I didn't wear them all summer, my feet are not used to it anymore.

The day was okay. The kids were for the most part pretty good, but I can already tell which ones will give me some problems. There aren't too many though. This is my first year teaching 5th so I have some major adjustments to make. Anybody have any fun ways of teaching greatest common factor?

7. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 14, 2006

It was my first day too :) It was a bit disorganized earlier this morning because the school had trouble getting students off to their respective areas. I have a pretty good crew of kids this year, then again, it's only the first day :p But they caught on fast to the procedures, and once we went over the rules/consequences and the behavior flip chart, they started acting better about the smaller things.

I hope everyday will be like this one :p

8. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2006

It is my 2nd full day- had to get started teaching today. Actually did small groups this morning too. The kids really liked it & did their assignments as a team.

Had a pretty good day :)

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 14, 2006

It went well, no casualties. But I am sooooo tired. I really think I'm getting old! They changed our schedule around so we have ancillary in the morning at 9:00, lunch at 10:30 and from lunch to 3:15 dismissal straight through. Needless to say, the morning went very quickly but the rest of the day dragged. I think many of my kids are used to taking naps, and we don't-- so they started getting pretty cranky in the afternoon. Anyway tomorrow is another day!

10. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 14, 2006

It went well! I wasn't sure what to expect but I was pleased. There are some things I wish I would have done differently. I had them sit too long in the beginning. I need to get better at bathroom breaks. And lunch procedures! But overall I'm happy! It was so fun! The kids seem like they are going to be really great, but there are those challenging ones in there for sure!