How was your first day?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linguist92021, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 12, 2013

Today the entire town went back to school, including alternative ed.
    On my corner usually students wait for the bus (regular bus) and other rides. My day started out with a group of teenagers yelling to me 'give me a ride', one with his arms wide open as if waiting for a hug. That was hilarious. :lol:
    It turned out some of them were my students, but couldn't see their faces.

I have 6 classes, and 14-16 students in each class, which is a full class for alternative ed (all the expelled, dropped, previously locked up students and those on probation are ours). We were supposed to start out small, like 8-12, but the numbers kept growing.

It was an awesome day! 90 % of the students were the same from last year, and everyone was so good! I only had 2 kids trying to test me a little, one just due to immaturity (and we don't know each other), the other is a very sweet kid, he just forgets his limits.

I expected worse. It was tough when I started in April, the kids looked at me as another come-and-go teacher, it was was hard to control them. Maybe they realized that I'm here to stay. It helped that I saw them over the summer, so they knew I was still around.
    I had some of the biggest nightmares from last year, and they were so great! I'm very pleasantly surprised.

If they stay about the same and we get to keep the classrooms' culture similar to what I've seen, it will be a fabulous year. Here's to hoping :)

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 12, 2013

Students here came back last Monday, but my first day of classes was today. I had a grade level that was one of the most challenging last year. I started a new behavior management system and most of the classes did a really good job with it. I also had auditions for one of my after school groups. I have a lot less applications turned in so far, but the kids who auditioned today were really talented. I extended the due date until tomorrow, but I'm hoping I don't have too many more apply because I hate turning kids down! (I just needed more boys, but I think I'll have enough now.)

Now I just hope tomorrow goes well. I have an upper grade that has high numbers in each class. And I have a lot more auditions after school.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 13, 2013

I'm pretty exhausted, I have been on my feet all day, and it feels strange after all the summer fun and relaxing.
    But I'm actually very excited to be back in the classroom - I know this school year will probably be challenging, but also very rewarding.

My main goal is to build relationships with my students, so it's not so much of 'controlling' my classes, but having a cooperative community within the classes. I didn't really have a lot of time last year, I was only there during the last 2 months. Some students I got to know, some so-so, but there were a lot who I wasn't able to reach. I want them to know that I care about them, and once they figure it out, we'll have an awesome year.

5. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 13, 2013

It's still three weeks away. :p

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2013

I went to bed at 7:30 after my first day. I was worn out.