How was your first day of school?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Taliesin, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

Tell us about your first day of school.

Did everything go as planned?
    What sort of activities did you do?
    How is your new class?
    Any tough goodbyes to parents?
    How many students do you have this year?
    Anything else you would like to add:

3. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

Bump!

4. imat

imat Rookie

Aug 27, 2008

I wish I had a first day!! I work for a school district that goes all year. 257 days!:(

5. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 27, 2008

My students start next Tuesday! I will let everyone know then. :D

6. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Sep 3, 2008

Alright, I can answer my own question now. I hope others will share their experiences, also.

Did everything go as planned? Everything went well- for the most part.

What sort of activities did you do? We went on a "tour" of the classroom and I explained what everything is, rules for centers, etc. They drew a picture and I put it on the BB that says "Our First Day", we made a list of class rules we all will agree to follow.

How is your new class? They seem like they will be a challenge in some ways. I have 7 boys in the class.

Any tough goodbyes to parents? One was reluctant to come into the class but he did well in the end.

How many students do you have this year? I have ten students (almost 4 years old) with no assistant.

7. teacher36

teacher36 Comrade

Sep 3, 2008

Great first day!!

Today was fabulous. I have 16 4 year olds (9 girls, 7 boys). 14 of them were in preschool last year so they were aware of some of the rules and routines. I taught them my quiet signals (my hand raised, all children raise hands & close mouths; pattern clap-when children hear the clap, they copy the pattern and look at me with mouths closed). We practiced all day and they did very well with it. We also came up with class rules that I posted and we reviewed all day. We just went over all of the procedures (how to line up & walk quietly in the halls, bathroom procedures, circle time & center rules & procedures, and clean up). We had so much fun!!! Oh and we did a little painting activity (I know..crazy for the 1st day!!!) which was hard (16 kids, me & 1 assistant). One child decided to paint her hands, arms, legs & table red before we could stop her!! I know now that painting will take place in SMALL groups!!
    There were a couple of activities that were planned that I did not get to but it was okay. I told myself that this is the first day of preschool and these children are not going to fail any standardized tests because we didn't decorate our frogs for the BB. I just need perspective!:D
    We had one cryer and one clinger, but when moms and dads left, all went very well!!! I am so excited about the rest of the year. My director told me not to judge the year by today because the children are usually more reserved on the first day (shy, nervous, apprehensive) but I think I got a pretty good idea who will challenge me as the time goes by. I still LOVE it though!!:2up:

8. cycourt

cycourt Rookie

Sep 3, 2008

Did everything go as planned? For the most part. I know that I usually plan too much stuff and end up taking more time to do less stuff, so in a way I already planned to not follow the plan.

What sort of activities did you do? We did colouring, a choo choo tour of the room and part of the school, read the Kissing Hand, did the blocks centre and a kissing hand handprint, had nap time, story time, journal time, and then after recess they were all tired and crying and i tried to make them not cry for the last hour.

How is your new class? normal for the most part. a couple of boys will give me a run for my money. one need a lot of attention. another two (twins) don't like to do what they are told ever. and another doesn't like to do anything, talks back, and doesn't get along wiht the kids.

Any tough goodbyes to parents? one parent cried. a couple of shy kids. but really i thought there would me much more crying.

How many students do you have this year? 21 but i only met 11 today.

Anything else you would like to add:
    it was like I was torturing the students by having them in my room and not letting them do any centres. the aforementioned boys took any opportunity they could to sneak into a centre and play. i think i'll have to introduce the centres faster than i had anticipated.