How was your day?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Purrceyz

Purrceyz Rookie

Jan 13, 2012

I was called this morning again to the school where I subbed gr 7/8 on Wednesday (I'm a brand new sub, this was my 2nd time. (Up till now, I've been volunteering 3 afternoons per week in a middle school special ed classroom).

This time it was for a junior/senior kindergarten (which is all day here now). I explained that I had a doctor's appointment this morning but I could come in the afternoon if they still wanted me. They did (today was the first big snowfall of the season and the teacher was ill.)

There was an early childhood educator in the classroom as well as an ECE student on field placement. It went very well, the ECE knew a lot the routines & I did get to read Ezra Jack Keates' Snowy Day with them, an action song and I brought my raccoon in a garbage can puppet which they loved! We didn't have time to do the activity sheets for A Snowy Day which I had brought (and had copied at the office), the ECE asked if they could have them so I gave them to her.

The kids were very cute and I enjoyed myself.

2. Wifey/DogMom

Wifey/DogMom Rookie

Jan 13, 2012

I had a pretty good day today. I have been subbing since Nov and have subbed grades K-12. I haven't gotten to teach 11 or 12 yet. I had a 10th grade English, Art 101 and two journalism. I have established myself pretty well as an easy-going, "cool sub" among the schools I have taught at, but at the same time I build a presence that I take no nonsense. For example, three teen boys were giving my guff, throwing stuff, using the newspapers as a punching bag, well I called the office which got security on their butts. The other students looked shocked. I asked "Anyone else want to go?". No problems the rest of the day. I have found I love subbing and teaching. When I went through my alternative certification programs I was worried I'd be a horrible teacher. Turns out I am really good at it! I enjoy elementary the most, but have subbed sixth the most so far so the kids know me really well.

Pretty easy and good day. Hope I can be a teacher soon :)

3. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 13, 2012

Difficult 4th grade class today. The three classes mixed twice - once for reading and then again for language arts, so I essentially had three different groups in my room today.

In one group I had a very defiant, snarky girl from another room. She was supposed to pass out books, but was throwing them on the ground and taking forever to get through the process. I told her I would take over if she couldn't do it right, so she went back to her seat in a huff. She later did several things intended to get under my skin and I threatened to send her back to her own classroom. When I went around and realized she and her partner had done nothing while half of the class was finished, I told them both to go back to their own seats and work solo. (Something I'd threatened the whole group with if they abused partner work by getting off task). She at first refused to get up and tried to stare me down, then she got up and went back to her seat, rolled her eyes at me and refused to work, so I sent her back to her own classroom. I probably should have done it sooner.

Then during the last 45 minutes, the "regular" class was to go to computer lab. They were so rambunctious by the end of the day, that I made them line up and sit back down three times before we finally got to the lab. I told them if they couldn't behave, we'd go back to the room and they'd miss their computer time. Then they were loud enough inside the computer room that I'm sure they could be heard next door. They refused to quiet down. So we marched back to the room and sat there for ten minutes with no noise, no sound, no nothing until the bell rang. In total, of their 40 mintues of computer time, they got less than ten.

Sadly, in that ten minutes, the phone rang in the computer room. It was their teacher, calling to say her surgery had gone well, and thanking me for taking her class. She said she'd missed them. I didn't have the heart to tell her what was going on that day. I did leave a detailed note. Surgery or no surgery, if a class misbehaves, I'm not going to cover for them.

4. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Jan 18, 2012

Well, I called a school that approved me as a sub but hadn't called me yet to see if there were any problems and come to find out whomever it was I spoke to regarding that fact that I already had my fingerprint clearance never did anything to update my file. Anyway, they had me in for a formal interview the same day I called and I got formally hired and actually got asked to work that afternoon for a teacher who had just gone into labor (how's that for timing huh lol). The day turned out great (except for two short power outages) and I now have another district I can sub in. So I guess it pays to make those calls and check up on things :)

5. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jan 21, 2012

I think I had one of the WORST days EVER yesterday!!! I taught all day Kindergarten and it was a TERRIBLE class! I'm so thankful that most teachers who know they have a difficult class will leave something about it in their plans to help the day go smoother and let me know what to expect. This teacher did not!

The very beginning of the day seemed to go well but went down hill very fast. The kids wouldn't listen and wouldn't follow directions. The classroom consequence was to write a note (very hard for Kindergarten) if they had been disrespectful. The teacher is returning to a very large pile of these!

The teacher also had reward cards that the kids were collecting if a student did a good job at something. I tried giving these out as the teacher instructed in her plans and the kids would usually say "I don't want one of those."

The day was harder because it was Friday, it snowed overnight, and it was too cold to go outside for recess so all recess was in the classroom. The kids completely missed their last recess and had to sit on the carpet and be quiet because they were so bad for the Guidance teacher.

I had two boys that shared an associate. During the last recess, the one boy took a colored link chain that the kids were playing with and wrapped it around a girl's neck. When I ran over to stop him, he ran out of the room. I told his associate that he ran out and she was mad at me. What was I supposed to do, let him choke the girl?

When I left the secretary told me that the class is always TERRIBLE for subs but are just wonderful for Mrs. regular teacher. I find that hard to believe. It seems that if they were always sooooo good, some of that would rub off to other days too.

That's one class I will NEVER go back to!!!

6. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 21, 2012

That's a crock of...something. That teacher either has a very tenuous grasp and just doesn't admit when they get out of control, or she spends all of her time with her foot on them. The fact that her reward system meant nothing to them indicates that it's hit and miss.

We all have very differing definititons about how a class should act, but it amazes me when teachers are just in denial. I had a fifth grade group one time that was rude and defiant all day. There were a few boys causing the biggest problems - at one point they were throwing around the baby carrots the school gave them for snack. Since I couldn't ID specifically who it was, I couldn't send anyone to the office. The teacher was on campus and when I saw her in the lounge at lunchtime, I told her she had a few who where disruptive. She didn't want to hear it. She said that was just the age, they'd had a terrible sub the previous day who sent the same boys causing trouble for me to the office. The teacher felt the sub was inept because she'd done that. If I'd caught them red-handed, they would have been in there for me also!

There are days you just can't win. Fortunately we have the choice to not go back.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 21, 2012

Consider that SOMETIMES classes are terrible for subs (or paras) but are not for the classroom teacher. It's not always a case of the regular teacher being in denial or ruling with an iron fist either. Classroom teachers have time to build relationships with their class, sense when things might be headed toward misbehavior, and know what works for each kid. It's nearly impossible to put all that experience and knowledge about a class into sub plans-especially if the plans were written by a teacher who's sick. I'm sure it is helpful to have a heads up on which kids to keep apart and other 'tips' (my plans always start with a caveat to hold off on sending kids to the nurse unless they REALLY seem sick)....as far as those really difficult classes, be glad you only had to handle it for one day...the regular teacher-even with excellent mgt skills- has 180 days with them.:rolleyes:

8. Joy

Joy Cohort

Jan 22, 2012

I don't expect every teacher to leave huge amounts of details about the behavior of each student. However, I found out during the day that this paticular class had a reputation of being disrespectful and out of hand for all subs they ever had for the year. The secretary, other subs in the building, and two associates informed me of this at the end of the day. Letting me know that they have trouble with subs would certainly have helped my day go alot easier. She left comments about the behavior of her class but they were all positive. She even praised kids in her plans that ended up being horrible. They also weren't just bad for me. They were horrid for their Guidance teacher and their Media teacher. I made them sit on the carpet for their recess because they were so disrespectful to these teachers. I realize that kids can sometimes just have an off day and be horrible for a sub but if it's a repeated pattern whenever the teacher is gone, there is something wrong. I don't see anyway these kids are angels for their regular teacher. I'm sure they are better for her but I'm sure it is still a really tough class! I'm glad that I can decide not to go back!

9. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Jan 24, 2012

Had a very busy and very good day in Kindergarten today :) Kids were pretty chatty but overall they did really well, we got through all our lessons and even had three compliments today (had to earn one back because of too much talking though).

10. appleeater

appleeater New Member

Jan 24, 2012

Today was a decent day. Today was day 2 of me subbing for a Physics teacher who teaches to IB Physics classes, a college prep physics class, and a physical science class. All of the physics classes were great, the physical science class was pretty rowdy though. I had to send a student out for hitting another student and calling me a name after I told her I was sending her out. Overall, it was a good day though.

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 24, 2012

I ate in the lounge today, something I rarely do, but I didn't have a choice today...anyway, the conversation the whole time was about some guy's girlfriend and how they were all surprised that she was dumpy-looking. No idea if they were talking about a fellow teacher, a student's parent or adminstrator or what, but I really didn't care. It would be nice if there was an alternative on some days.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2012

Car.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2012

I think when nearly an entire class is "wild", a note from the teacher warning you of their past experiences with subs won't do a great deal to actually calm the situation.

14. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Jan 25, 2012

Today was a good day, despite the fact that everyone was convinced there was something in the water. Exploding milk cartons, smashed banana, a food throwing at lunch. And they were short on subs so we were all over the place. I actually had my favorite (even if they are squirrely) bunch of 7th graders twice. The first time I had them I had every instigator in the room and a good number acted like fools. We had a chat about their behavior at the end of class. When I had them again at the end of the day? Little angels. And I made sure I let them know how much I appreciated it. Also, there is an aid in with these kids that is AMAZING. she is such a huge help with the kids especially on their bad days.

15. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 25, 2012

I took an SDC class today. I've done special ed for preschool a few times, but only once before for elementary. There were three aides in the room, so it wasn't overwhelming. One of the aids said it was obvious I was an experienced, qualified teacher...that was nice to hear, particularly since I was pretty worred about how the day would go.

16. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Feb 1, 2012

1/2 day in second grade today. Their teacher warned me that they were chatty, then left me a lesson plan full of partner work and things involving working all around the classroom. It was fine though. They really weren't too bad, and they responded quickly when I called for quiet. At one point I had them doing math problems on whiteboards. Since they were getting squirrely and I had 5 minutes before lunch, I told them they could draw on the boards for 5 minutes. All of the sudden, they were completely absorbed and completely silent! When I complimented them, they took it as license to start talking. :lol:

I always ask if the teacher has been out before and how the day went with the last substitute. This group told me she called them names, broke their DVD player and scratched their DVD.

Sometimes it's nice when anything you do is an improvement on the previous act.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 15, 2012

I used to be a sub for 10 yrs, but haven't been one since Sept of this current school year.

I can't believe I have 3.5 months left of my 1st yr in my new position. I was hired about 2 mos into this current school year as an SLP. I think I've learned quite a bit since I got hired. I work at 2 elem schools 2 days/week this year. Next year, I'll have to be at a middle school & another school working with pre-schoolers. I hope it's not going to be too bad, but I have the summer to relax before thinking about that.

Today was good. I really like one of the schools I'm at. My 2nd school's so-so.

18. missythemom

missythemom Rookie

Mar 2, 2012

I have been subbing quite a bit lately and have had quite a few really good days :) ( I chalk that up to prayers answered :love:) I have been subbing for the last two and a half days in a high school art class. The teacher had just gotten them started on some new projects so everyone was nice and busy and did and awesome job. I used to be so scared of the high school crowd, but I honestly have been looking forward to going in and seeing everyone. They can be a handful sometimes but they are great kids :) So overall, it has been a great week!

19. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 8, 2012

I took a personal day today and went to sub in a middle school. I have been subbing in this district for over a year, but haven't since I've been in this position (October).

I took a very small pay cut, but I think it was worth it. I went to a mixed grade level ESL class - these students can be very rowdy, I did my student teaching with them, and subbed at 3 schools in these types of classes. In this school they were much better. Still chatty, but that's just the culture of these classrooms, but oh, so much better!
    I had a good day, the ELDA in the classroom told me I am the first sub who could make them do all the work and make them be this quiet :)
    I also dropped off my resume and cover letter. I couldn't talk to the principal, but talked to someone else, and she told me when jobs will be posted, by what date they try to get the hiring done, etc.

And of course, it turns out I may not have had a sub for my class. I put in my absence, got the sub I requested, and when this morning I called to check on something they said another teacher called in last minute, so my sub would be covering that class. My classes will be just put into the other classrooms. This made me mad, because they are again undermining me as a teacher, and show that my classes don't matter. I still don't know if it got worked out, no one called me back.
    Oh well.

20. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Mar 8, 2012

Also it was nice to see the librarian and a math teacher that was at the school when I was student teaching.
    This math teacher gives me hope. She was still student teaching and they offered her a part time math / intervention job before she was even finished. Then not even a year later, when they fired the math teacher we had, they called her and said that they want to interview her, come right away, they will make sure she gets back to her other classes on time.
    She got hired, was an awesome teacher, but still got let go at the end of June, because she was the newest. But in July they offered her this job in the district.
    It's nice to see that great things can happen to people.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 12, 2012

This week's been the busiest all school year for me...many, many things happening all this week:

- new student started
    - observed by the boss
    - an evening training after work
    - grad school midterm exam
    - 3 IEP meetings
    - Medi-Cal billing week to document
    - working w/ this new autistic kid & honestly, it's no fun!

I'm just glad I have 21 days left of work!!!

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2012

:(

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 13, 2012

Yep czacza, well you just make the best of it, put on a smile, be kind of animated at times & keep on chugging! He's a high profile case. Has a 1-on-1 aide. He goes to a school an hour away for the majority of the day, then 4 days a week is driven to one of my schools for the last hr & 45 min. I hear his mom's really "something" & I was told to document everything, which I have been for sure. (This is a different mom from the one in my 'Cynical Kid' thread.) I'm just glad he arrived on the scene just a wk ago & that I have 21 days left of work! And I'll probably be at different schools next year because I have to work w/ different age levels.

24. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Apr 13, 2012

Hmmm... well, I tripped over a cord on the floor during my first block class and fell flat on my tush... sprained my thumb in the process. :/ Fortunately, the children didn't laugh til they knew I was okay.

25. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 13, 2012

Wasn't really prepared for today's lesson so it went rocky during first period until I got the swing of it.

My third was talkative as always and there are some problems in the back of the room, where a group of three girls and one boy are in conflict. They girls gang up on the boy (who I believe doesn't have highly developed social skills, but is incredibly intelligent) and mock him if he ever has a question. I've already scolded them yesterday, and today I had to give them the "when you're an adult you'll have to work with people you don't like and you'll have to deal with it spiel". A few of the girls in that group are developing really caustic attitudes and can overreact at the slightest thing I say, i.e. "How's it going? Are you understanding this?". One girl will blow up and be like "I UNDERSTAND IT OKAY, AND I CAN DO IT WITHOUT _the-boy's-name-here_'s HELP UGH." and yet, her paper will be blank. >___>;

I was really strict and on top of things yesterday, but I didn't really have the energy to be extremely strict today, so it was rough. Especially during my fourth period. This is the period I have the most issues with, and they've been doing a LOT better recently, but today it just kind of collapsed and they were all talking at the same time, talking during the quiz, not taking notes, interrupting all at the same time, etc. It's time for another crackdown. I don't like sending kids out, and giving referrals, and I need to learn to stop letting them engage in arguments with me. I just haven't had a lot of sleep lately, and I was on top of things all week, but let today slide for some reason.

Otherwise, today was the first day I came in with my new haircut (they shaved it in public because the students raised 4000 dollars for Pennies for Patients), so I had a lot of playful japes directed at me and I gladly joined in.

26. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 13, 2012

Ouch! I hope that gets better. Can you still play your instruments?

27. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2012

Not why I :(

For me, it should be more than 'making the best of it' and counting down the days.

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 16, 2012

Yep, I am making the best of it. I actually have to drive to my other school on an extra day, probably two that I'm not normally at the school just to work w/ him, but hey, that's the nature of the job! :)