How Was Your Day Tody?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 14, 2009

I'm all for sticking together, and for helping someone who is struggling.

But you reach a point where kids are in danger, or where there's an obvious lack of effort and effectiveness, and the gloves are off.

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2009

This week are parent/teacher conferences, so school's out at 12:00 or 12:30 :D. I left an hr early on Mon (1:00). Today, I left at the usual time (2:00) & I don't know what time I'll be leaving on Fri...hopefully no later than 2:30.

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 18, 2009

I have a "good" story about today.

I subbed for a fifth grade teacher today. I have subbed for him in the past. I know how he does things and I know the school's routines and procedures.

So, this morning I get to his classroom and I check over the lesson plans. As usual, they are clear and precise. In the morning, I have two language arts classes that are taking a test as a review for the LCAP.

I flip through the test and see that there are BLANK SPOTS all over the pages. The copier was skipping over these areas - so the words were missing. There was just blank spaces all over the pages!

I run next door to the other fifth grade teacher. She finds the workbook that the teacher has copied. Then we make one clear copy. While my class is at the library, I run to the office and get fifty-five copies of the test.

This time it's actually readable!! :thumb:

THANK GOODNESS that I checked the test that I was going to be giving to the students!!!

4. filochica

filochica Rookie

Mar 21, 2009

I subbed 3 days in a row and each experience was so different. I was in a 1st grade class with 26 students- that was insane! There was a parent volunteer but she kept talking over me and it made it hard to teach. The kids were horribly behaved. The VP came and said that I was to switch with another sub and I got placed in the lowest-performing class. The regular teacher was there so I just assisted (apparently this happens a lot).

The next day, I was at a top-performing school in the art room. The kids were really polite and everyone was nice. Art was a lot of fun.

Yesterday, I was in a 1st grade class with 21 students. There were 3 boys with major behavioral problems who disrupted the class. Many students complained to me. I sent one boy to the principal because he was so disruptive. I was reading a story to the class and they could not focus. Once he left, it was a bit better but there were 2 other boys who kept yelling out in the middle of the story. I had them sit at their desks instead of the rug. Once we started the worksheet for the story, the principal came back and told me the boy I had sent to her was ADHD and that I could send him back to her if necessary. I had to send him again because he wouldn't stop calling out and it was very difficult to teach. The other kids were good for the most part and very helpful.

5. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 21, 2009

I had a great day yesterday! I am in a Long-Term Subbing Position as an Instructional Aide in a 3rd/4th/5th grade SDC. I love it! There are three other aides as well as the teacher.

I gave the kids a spelling test, helped them with their classwork, graded their work, went with them to their mainstream math classes and helped them there.

On Monday, I will also attend with them during their PE class, their math class and I know I will have another great day!

Fire Drill on Wednesday!

6. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Mar 23, 2009

DARN! I cost myself $140 today by foolishly complying with the teacher's wishes.
    I was ready to press "1" to accept the job, until the teacher's message under special instructions said she wanted a spanish speaking sub since it was a dual immersion class.
    Darn me for being too proper! I got no other offers and here I sit.

7. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 23, 2009

During PE I taught this 5th grade boy how to throw the basketball into the hoop and he made several baskets! I also showed him how to dribble and he did fantastic!

He also got a really good score on the curl-up test.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 23, 2009

Good going myownwoman & GlendaLL!

filochica, that's nice. I hope you get even better days.

oldstudent, sorry that happened to you.

I, on the other hand am on my spring break week off, but I'm also in college so I still have to go to school 3x/wk. Spring break for that is NEXT week.

9. changeling0203

changeling0203 Rookie

Mar 23, 2009

I had my first middle school experience today. During 5th period, six boys (8th grade) were shooting dice in the corner. I asked them twice to stop and get back to their math assignment, got ignored, called the office, and one kid got singled out and got a talking to.

They pretty much just migrated to the opposite corner and had a dance party.

But, for the most part, the hardest part about my first middle school experience was not laughing every time one of the kids did something funny. This one quirky girl has got dead-pan down to an art.

10. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Mar 24, 2009

Went to one of the worst middle school's in the district I sub for. It was okay, though I enjoyed 5th and 6th period better as the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th period classes had to stay in the boys pe locker room and do a worksheet where as 5th and 6th period got to go to the gym and also outside and walk on the track.

But the teacher I subbed for had 7th period off as a conference and the office staff said I could go home for the day, even though I had to be there until after 3:30 and it was about 2:50 when I left. The office staff was nice though.

11. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 24, 2009

I had another great day!

Tomorrow we are going to have a fire drill. I am looking forward to another wonderful day.:)

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 3, 2009

So, I work w/ speech, language & hearing kids these days & they're usually well behaved. However, I had this one grp of 3 boys who had this goof-off, smart-alecky attitude the moment they stepped in the door. I think they were 4th graders. Afer a few min of seeing that they were going to continue to goof-off, ignore anything I had to say, etc., I suddenly let them have it! I raised my voice very loudly & talked for a good few min telling them what they need to be doing. For extra effect, I ligtly slammed a few papers on the table to show them that it's time to get down to business.

I don't know if any teacher's yelled like that to them in their lives, but that's exactly what they needed because they were perfect after that.

At the end, I told them to keep it up because I'll be working w/ them again. :D

13. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 11, 2009

I had a wonderful day on Friday. Though I am glad it is spring break.

Then I am off to begin my new LT Position as an Instructional Aide for a preschool class. This will last until the end of the year. I can also be requested to sub in my previous SDC class, that I absolutely LOVE!:D

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 16, 2009

While most people would be happy that tomorrow's Friday, I haven't been enjoying my Fridays these days because of the school I sub at on Fridays. It can't be soon enough when I don't have to work at that school anymore...but, I have 8 more Fridays there! :mad: It's still kind of easy money, which is why I haven't just stopped going.

15. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 16, 2009

I didn't think I'd find a sub job for today. One school district is on Spring Break and the other one just came back from Spring Break last week. But, a job popped up late last night.

So, I subbed in a kindergarten classroom today. I have been in that room before and the kids remembered me. They're a pretty good bunch! The teacher actually ended up in the hospital, so she didn't have any lesson plans for me. I used the emergency sub folder and found some other stuff setting out that I used. It was a fun, relaxed day for us. :thumb:

16. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 17, 2009

Aw I love Kinders! I am glad you had such a great day.

17. ILoveMyCello

ILoveMyCello Companion

Apr 17, 2009

I was still up at midnight and took a 7th grade math position for today. Middle school is great here-they have a two hour plan/lunch break in the middle of the day. I came in to the science teacher in the same pod trying to search for the worksheets I needed. I guess the teacher called her this morning and dictated to her over the phone what to find for me! Her desk was REALLY messy too..there were lots of pop cans on it and stuff. Sooo, we found worksheets for them (hopefully they were the right ones..who knows!!) 4/5 teachers in their "pod" were absent today as well. But every class was awesome, except for the last one with the boys who kept screaming for no reason...I don't get it.

Next week so far, I have 7-12 Spanish/French, first grade, and high school tutor....lol who knows how thats going to work out. :)

18. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 18, 2009

I had an easy half day yesterday in 4th grade! Although I did get a call from the office yelling about my attendance slip- which I had the kids take (per the teachers note) and then I double and triple checked. Office: "Are you sure boys name is not here today??? I seen his mother bringing in cupcakes. Are you certain he is not here???" Me "Oh well, his name is blah blah blah. well, the kids say he is not here. His chair is still on his desk. The class says he is not here and I do not see him." Office, "Are you sure he is not there? What was his mother doing here without him then? Does anyone know where he might be?" Me to class- "Does anyone know where boys name might be? Did anyone see him in the hall?" Class- No. he might be sick. He might be in the bathroom, wait- I'll check the sign out, no he is not in the nurse or bathroom. Oh, he said he was going to Ohio yesterday." Me to office- "The class says he is not here and he said he was going to Ohio." ( it was the last day before school vacation so not too unheard of I guess). Office " do you have cupcakes in your room from boys name mom?" Me, "hmmm, Why yes we do, but I do not know who brought them. There is no note or anything that says who it is from" Office, "why not?" Me, "They were here before I got here." Office, "Oh, so you are sure he is not here?" Me, "Yes." Office, "well his mom must have just brought cupcakes and then left." Me, "oh Okay."
    All this in the middle of math class. I have never had the office call and bother me for that long! Ugh- then I got another phone call about 5 minutes later again in the middle of math- it is the cafeteria manager calling to talk to the teacher I am subbing for who interrogates me about who I am and what I am doing answering the phone, who I precede to tell my name and that I am the sub and I'm sorry the teacher is not in today. So she replies tell her I need to talk to her as soon as possible. Me- okay I will leave that in the note because she is not here today. Click the lady hung up on me.
    Whew. I could have a way better time if I did not have to answer the blasted phone. I always dread answering the phone- generally it is someone who is not going to be happy with me.

19. filochica

filochica Rookie

Apr 18, 2009

I subbed in the art room which was fun overall. I had 4th grade, 3rd grade, kindergarten, 2nd and 1st grade. With K-3, we made spring murals and the kids loved that project. With the older kids, they used oil pastels to create patterns on shapes using rubbing plates. That was a messy activity and then somehow oil pastel got all over the floor- luckily the janitor was very nice about taking care of it. I was so upset about the mess and was scrubbing and scrubbing- even the kids were trying to clean it up! A first grade girl told me that I looked like a teenager which was interesting. Overall it was a good day- I love subbing in art! Next week, I sub in 2nd grade, 3rd grade and kindergarten.

20. elvissa

elvissa Rookie

Apr 19, 2009

Friday I had 3 block periods of 6th grade Language Arts. First period was amazing. The kids came in, and did their work for the whole 90 minutes. Nobody even took a break when offered one. I read them the note that I left for the teacher that said how awesome they were, and the kids told me that was so cool, because subs never tell them what they write for the teacher. I think that they were amazed when I told them that substitutes don't get up in the morning and say "Hey, I know what would be fun! I'm gonna torture my classes today!" and that if they're even moderately cool, the sub is likely to be cool right back at them.

The second class was only 8 kids, plus one 8th grade "teacher's aide". I think the kids would have been great except for the aide. She was really disruptive. She wasn't on the roll, so I wrote a note that she was in the room as the aide, just so she would be accounted for. However about halfway through the class, she was called down to the office. It apears she gave me the wrong name. Oh my! On my free period I went down to the attendence office to make sure everything was okay, and was told that she told the clerk that the other kids had told me her last name. Umm, nope! She spelled it out for me herself. I'm afraid that she's going to have some consequences for that one.

But the last period of the day was the crazy one. You know it's going to be a doozy when every teacher on the hall comes in at some point during the day offering to help if the kids in 7th period get out of hand. I started out with 20 kids, and by the end of class, I had 12. Three walked out on their own. I parceled two more out to other teachers because they wouldn't stay in their seats. Two more went out with a security guard because they wouldn't stop slapping each other, and one more got sent to the AP for cursing at me. Then, halfway through the class kids started coming back because the AP's office was full and they were being sent back to class. Eeeeek!

I'm subbing for the other half of the same teacher's classes tomorrow and it should be far less traumatic! Or at least that's what every teacher on the hall made a point of telling me. I think they had visions of me not showing up!

I'm actually looking forward to tomorrow-- hoping it's more like my first period on Friday. I like getting to be an awesomely cool sub!

21. bet3

bet3 Companion

Apr 19, 2009

It's nice to be appreciated, isn't it? A couple of weeks ago, I subbed for algebra I classes. During 5th period, several students told me they didn't understand how to do the equations, so I did some on the board with them. They said I was the first sub to do that and they seemed to appreciate it.

22. elvissa

elvissa Rookie

Apr 20, 2009

It is nice!

And today I was able to mend fences with a child who swore that if I was the sub again today she wasn't going to class.

And even better, in one class, one of the students drew a (flattering) picture of me and gave it to me. I was so tickled I almost cried. And when I drove off, I drove past a few of my kids and they even called out "Bye, Ms. E! Thanks!"

Yay!!! There aren't enough days like this!

23. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 25, 2009

Rough.Week.Here! My regular school asked me not to remove them from my preferred list.. which I would never do. It ended on a positive note, though. I had a mom volunteer in the 1st grade classroom I was in. She asked me if I like kindergarten and I told her I love it. She tells me she teached K in what happens to be my 2nd district and asked for my sub ID to request me. K in her district is only half day, though they pay the subs for a full day, while it's a full day in my main district.

24. modgirl

modgirl Rookie

Apr 27, 2009

today was tough for me! i had a pretty misbehaving second grade. it is sad to see such arrogant attitudes at such a young age. i get frustrated with days like these because i know i am a good teacher, but it is impossibe to teach or for students to learn in a chaotic environment.

25. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 27, 2009

The OAT's (Ohio Achievement Tests) are this week.
    I am helping out at a middle school with the testing. Today, I helped the guidance counselor with paperwork, relieved teachers, and supervised special ed students who do not take the test.

I'll be there three days - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. It's going to be a fun, interesting job!

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 28, 2009

I finally get to relax as of NOW!!! :dizzy: I don't remember a day of working for so long:

6:15am - wake up
    7:20am - leave for work to sub
    7:50 - 2:00pm - at work
    4:00 - 6:15pm - at my college class 45 min from home
    7:00pm - arrive home
    7:00 - 8:00pm - rest & eat
    8:00 - 10:40pm - take tests for my online class

BTW, There's some kind of testing going on next week at the schools in my district.

27. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 28, 2009

Wow Ms. I please take care of yourself! You do need some rest. Give yourself some love.

Today, I attended a fellow teacher's baby shower. We had a great time!

28. BurgundyMist

BurgundyMist Rookie

Apr 28, 2009

Apparently, my afternoon was very similar to modgirl's day. I subbed for 2nd grade in the morning. The class was so well behaved and on task! I thought to myself, "Wow, it looks like I'm going to have a great day!" My assumption was a little off.

In the afternoon, I subbed for 3rd in the same school. Third happens to be my FAVORITE grade (I student taught 3rd and had a great experience). Wow, it was a tough afternoon, to say the very least. I'm not sure if the heat was making the kids more rowdy, but it was very tough to get or hold their attention. About five of the troublemaker students thought it was acceptable to continue talking while I was teaching/addressing the class, which might be one of my biggest pet peeves. Worst of all, it was after recess, so it's not like I could take any time away. I'm just happy I made it to the end of the day! :cool:

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 28, 2009

myownwoman, yes I'm trying! I'll be so glad when summer's here! Glad you had a nice day at the shower.

30. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 30, 2009

Yikes BurgundyMist! I am glad you made it through. We all have those kinds of days. At least you learned something valuable from it. I hope you have easier days ahead of you!

Ms. I, oh wow school is ending in 6 weeks here. I cannot believe how fast the year has flown by. I hope to continue to sub at this school in the fall. I have grown to really love the kids, the teachers/staff and the school as a whole. Perhaps, I can ask the secretaries if I can be kept as a sub there. I have a good relationship with them. They both know my name, as well as the principal.

Next Tuesday is the teacher's luncheon. I am thinking of bringing sparkling apple cider. Yum!

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 1, 2009

myownwoman, I hope you continue on to sub too!

Oh boy! these 1st 3 wks of May will be hectic! :dizzy: On the afternoon of May 21st, I am free for the summer from college & free from subbing on either the 1st or 2nd wk of June!

32. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

May 1, 2009

Get some rest Ms. I! Take it easy when you can.

I am so glad it is Friday. Today, when we went to pick up the kids from the buses, this boy's mom came and told us about his new behavior. This is in a preschool class. So we will be watching out for that.

33. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 8, 2009

(I posted this in the Random Thoughts section, but) a wonderful fluke happened today! So, I've been long-term subbing all year. On Fridays, sometimes I go to this one school, but most of the time, I go to another. Well, today, when I arrive at the school I'm supposed to be at, there's a sign on the door that says: No speech today 5/8/09. (I'm the speech sub).

Now, normally, I'd give the SLP a call on her cell to ask her what to do, but I take it upon myself to give myself the day off! I really, really need it! I have work to do for my college classes since it's the end of the semester.

I'll just send an email asking what happened & that I showed up. The principals can't really do anything at either school since speech is kind of a separate entity.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 24, 2009

Well, it's almost the end of the year & I have 5 days left to sub. Of course I'm glad, but I'll miss getting that money!

35. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 27, 2009

Today was my first day subbing. It was a slow start, but now the calls are rolling in. Everything went pretty well today, however I am exhausted!

36. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jun 8, 2009

I have had such a fabulous day in first grade! All last week I was at the same school, but in a different first grade, and the week prior I was at the same school in 4th grade with baby chicks being born, wild Turkey eggs, tadpoles, and caterpillars. That sure was an amazingly exciting week! Tomorrow will be 3rd grade! I love having such busy weeks! Tomorrow is field day too- so I am excited about that!

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 9, 2009

The day has finally come!...tomorrow's my last day of subbing for the yr! (I doubt I'll be subbing on Thurs., the last day of school).

Later today, I'm going to lunch w/ a high school pal who's now a teacher & we can hv a nice relaxing talk about how the yr went & our summer plans! :D

I'll miss getting paid for a while, but we ALL need a break sometime!

38. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 9, 2009

Today I subbed my 75th day at the urban district that I work for. That means, I get a BONUS!

I'll be getting
    ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!

:celebrate: :celebrate: :celebrate:

39. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2009

:woot: Glenda!

40. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jun 9, 2009

When I think of some of the days that I've had in that district, I think I deserve a ten thousand dollar bonus!! :p