How Was Your Day Today?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2010

I'm sorry to hear about that, hopefully they give you a reason. It seems strange that they wouldn't just keep you on the sub list in case there is a time when a ton of teachers have to be out at the same time.

2. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 5, 2010

Thank you Jessica. Yes, it is really strange. I am now left guessing why I am not allowed to continue to sub. Nobody will tell me the exact reason. I am so frustrated. At least, I think I can apply to sub again in the fall. That is if I want to continue.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 6, 2010

I'm so glad Friday's over. I started getting sick on Thurs (thanks to my BF), but I was still well enough to go to work on Th & F. I'm miserable TODAY (Sat). There's no school this Mon for us, but I was planning on taking advantage of that Universal Studios deal since I'm a CA school employee. I don't necessarily LOVE Universal Studios, but it's hard to pass up 2 people getting in for $34.50, rather than $140 & I haven't been in 6 yrs.

4. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 6, 2010

Ms. I, I love Universal Studios!

5. shannoncwheeler

shannoncwheeler New Member

Mar 8, 2010

Had my first ever job today! A middle school special education class. I subbed for one of the teacher's aides.

I didn't do much besides cut things out, sing along during the music lesson, and pass out worksheets.

I was ignored until the teacher wanted me to do something, but with 15 kids with disabilities ranging from severe autism to ADHD, I didn't take it personally. All in all, it was a good day--but honestly, I don't think I'll sub SE often. It's too chaotic for me, but that teacher is a saint.

6. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 8, 2010

Congratulations shannoncwheeler on your first job! SE teachers do need a lot of patience, respect, and attention geared towards those special students. I used to sub a lot in these classes. The students were challenging (at times) but I enjoyed working as an aide to help these students out.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 10, 2010

Well today is the last EASY MONEY day I'll probably have in a looooong time! How often do you get a full day's sub pay ($125 for me) where you only work w/ 8 students (2 at a time for 30 min) & the rest of the day, you're basically reading magazines?

8. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Mar 11, 2010

This was my second day in 2nd grade. They're a good group of kids. I'll be there until Friday.

9. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 11, 2010

I am interested in working in a preschool classroom, so I'll be looking into that area.

10. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Mar 11, 2010

My long-term assignment is ending today. Tomorrow's a work day where I, luckily, will get paid to enter grades and close up the classroom. I'm back to day-to-day subbing after spring break and I'm so not looking forward to it! I'm going to miss having my own room, my own students, and my own lesson plans.

11. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 11, 2010

lindydish I felt the same way when one of my long term assignments ended. I appreciated the students and the stability. I hope you get another LT assignment soon.

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 12, 2010

Yep guys, the LT assignment I've been on 3 days/wk for the past 3 mos for one of the SLPs will end tomorrow. I'll get doughnuts for the kids. I'm sure going to miss that steady money!

13. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Mar 12, 2010

Pretty good day today. Had a couple of special ed Social Studies classes - very small class sizes, which made it easy to manage. Then had two European History sections. First class was pretty well behaved and on-task. The second class was more chatty, and unfortunately populated with a few seniors who were unmotivated - they had an attack of senioritis. I told the regular teacher about that and he said he would talk to these kids' parents about that. Made my day.

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2010

I had a pretty fun day today! I subbed for a resource teacher that I have subbed for quite a few times before and some of the kids were just cracking me up today!

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 13, 2010

Well, there are about 2 & 1/2 mos left of the school yr & I just finished a 3-month assignment. I'm a lot more free these days! The temperature of the two classrooms I worked in were horrible...either too cold or got too hot too fast when I turned on the heater! :mad:

Well, I hope everyone's doing well. Next Sat will be spring! Don't forget to turn your clocks FORWARD this weekend!

16. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 14, 2010

Hooray for spring! Though it's already spring-like here in CA, I know you Northeasterners would love for spring to come already.

Wow the school year is ending so quickly. I cannot believe summer is in a few months!

17. fratermus

fratermus Companion

Mar 14, 2010

About 5mins into my first class on Friday I was on the receiving end of a "eff you". Yay, team.

18. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 15, 2010

What is up with kindergarteners this time of year? Generally I do really well with them, but on Friday I had a class that acted like wild animals. Part of it was that the teacher forgot it was a report card prep day for her so she didn't talk to the kids about how to behave for a sub, but she was also really apologetic about her group.

Today, I was in a different kinder, almost just as out of control. Both classes had a much larger number of boys to girls, so I started to think that was part of it, but some of the hardest to handle kids were girls! The talking just--never--stopped! AND today one of the kids dropped his fork at lunch and let out a pretty darn loud S-word! A kindergartener swearing like a sailor. I have to go back tomorrow. NOT looking forward to it.

19. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 15, 2010

And while I'm complaining, I also only got a 35 minute lunch. Usually they're at least 45 minutes.

20. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 16, 2010

Yes I think kids are using more inappropriate language (and doing inappropriate things) these days then when I was in school. It's really shocking when you hear it come out of their mouths! I just wish teachers will do something about this level of misbehavior.

21. ms.

ms. Comrade

Mar 16, 2010

I think the problem is that if there isn't consistent enforcement, students ignore the rule. I was subbing at a school recently in which at least 5-6 girls where wearing only a tiny sports bra. I have a relative who attends the school, and she told me that the dress code isn't ever enforced. The school is considering uniforms, however I don't understand how uniforms will help. I've attended schools with uniforms and in my experience students will alter the uniforms (until the uniform is almost obscene.)

Anyway... sorry for the rant! :blush:

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 17, 2010

OK, there's about 2 mos left of the school yr & this starts the 1st wk I'm down to working only 1 day a wk. I'm going to get pretty bored here real fast! If I can pick up at least 2 more days a wk of work before school's out, that would be nice.

I haven't been to the gym lately, I definitely plan to return there.

23. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 17, 2010

ms. I agree with you in terms of how uniforms would not help. I was a student at this middle school where uniforms were mandatory. However, there were only a few students who chose to wear it while everybody else wore whatever they wanted. I do not think uniforms would solve the problem. Kids want choices, and they prefer to personalize whatever they have to fit their personalities.

24. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2010

I subbed in the library today; it was a nice easy day!

25. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 17, 2010

Oh! Jealous! I want to sub in the library!

26. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 17, 2010

Yeah, whenever I can get a library job, I snap it up!

27. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Mar 17, 2010

I love working in the library too!

Had a grade yr4/5 class for the first half of the day while the teacher was at training. Had taught most the kids before so that was helpful. They were fairly well behaved which was nice, until we went outside to play a game the teacher had left and they turned a little ferral lol Thankfully once they returned to their room and seats they settled down :)

28. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 18, 2010

I'm in the library today. Easy day - I read a book to the classes, we watch a video, then the students do a worksheet. :)

29. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 18, 2010

I do not think that anybody can sub for the librarian. Once, the librarian was absent and another regular teacher filled in for her. If there are library sub jobs I would love to take that!:thumb:

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 18, 2010

I, too have never heard of librarian sub jobs in my district. I'd love to do it too. Maybe I'll ask about it soon.

31. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 18, 2010

I didn't work today. Since tomorrow is my birthday, I treated myself to a mani/pedi. The pedi lady did a great job, but the maincure lady did some sloppy painting...sheesh! Regardless, it's nice to be pampered!

32. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Mar 18, 2010

I worked in the primary SDC class today. I had a good day, but they were a little more squirrely than usual. I also received one call from my regular district's sub system and then another call from my regular school. I don't have an assignment for tomorrow... yet.. but I have a good feeling that one will come since it'll be Friday.

33. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2010

Both my districts have pd days tomorrow so I'm going to stay up late and enjoy the basketball tonight without having to worry about getting up tomorrow and plan on watching basketball all day tomorrow, too!

34. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Mar 19, 2010

Today - had 1 goverment/politics class (seniors), 1 world studies history class (frosh), and 3 US History (jrs).

The seniors were the worst behaved (I think it's senioritis) by far. I thought they would be more mature, but the only thing more mature is their shrewdness and confidence to try to pull one on a sub! At least 2-3 were flat out cheeky enough to tell me that they wouldn't do the class assignment and wanted to work on something else since they could do it for homework. I said no, you are to do whatever is assigned for the class - one doesn't go "buy oranges at an automobile dealership."

One particular student was the most insolent and tried to weasel out of it and I insisted he do the work instead of his lit HW. When I caught him doing it again I told him to get back on task. When he refused and suggested he sit and do nothing for the rest of class, I told him if he insisted on defying my instructions, he could leave the classroom. Well, this fella wouldn't back down, claimed that I didn't have the authority as a sub to do that. I didn't tell him that the last student who thought that way earned a referral and probably a suspension, so I moved to call someone from the office...Just at that moment, the campus security guy came by and I had him squirrel him out of the room to cool him off...

The freshmen were pretty well behaved, but the last class of the day was really squirrelly - it's Friday, and it's sunny outside....

And to think I get these kids again on Monday!

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 21, 2010

jen12, happy b-day, hope it was a great day!

sunshine*inc & Jessica26, sounds great!

JackTrader, I commend you for doing HS. I don't even want to do 4th grade & up at all.

36. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 22, 2010

I'm just supervising 7th graders taking tests. Boring, but easy day!

37. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Mar 22, 2010

I had a group of 3rd grade students who needed a lot of redirecting; I'm tired. Tomorrow, I have the 3rd grade GATE class that I've been in many times and I usually have a good day with them. Wed. I'm in first grade at a school in my second district that I've never subbed at. I know the principal, though, who worked at the school I sub at most in that district last year. I don't have anything yet for Thurs. and Fri., but I have a feeling I will.

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 22, 2010

I would have worked today, but my spring break is THIS wk, so I was free! :)

I ran a couple of errands, worked out at the gym, & shopped at a couple of stores.

39. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Mar 22, 2010

My day, contrary to Friday, was quite good. The little monsters on Friday turned into swans...what a difference a day makes.

Made it good enough such that I was feeling good enough to pick up an assignment to teach special ed - skills, basic history this Wednesday.

40. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Mar 23, 2010

Much better day today, though I had to get on the class for being chatty. The class I was in yesterday was punished by their teacher for their behavior. The teacher next door asked me to sub for her class on Thur. and indicated that they need a lot of classroom management. Tomorrow I'll be in a first grade class at a school I've never subbed at.