How Was Your Day Today?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Aug 11, 2009.

1. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 30, 2010

Hey AnonAnon I do have private messaging enabled. Can you try sending it to me again? Thanks! Sorry for any trouble.

2. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 31, 2010

I just replied to your message.

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 5, 2010

Didn't get a long term position I'd been hoping for :-( I was dreaming of the regular income. And, I was looking forward to working with the same group of students over a period of time. I'm glad I forced myself not to spend time creating lesson plans till I knew for sure!

4. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 5, 2010

Oh I'm sorry about that Special-t. Hopefully, something will come along that you will get.:hugs:

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Feb 5, 2010

I'm sorry, Special-t.

6. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Feb 5, 2010

Sorry to hear that, Special-t. Hopefully something else will come along.

7. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Feb 5, 2010

As a Student Teacher, I got the opportunity to sub for my MT/CT's classes, which I had been in all week. So I knew the students and the lesson pretty well. From a behavioral standpoint, they didn't act any different than when the regular teacher was teaching, which I guess is good. We have a 9th and 10th grade class. The 10th graders are very mellow and forgiving, and more mature than most of their age group. By contrast, the 9th grade classes, though, are pretty frisky and several of them are really immature even by the standards of their age group.

In a way, I liked taking the sub assignment because now I could operate a bit more freely than with the MT in the room. I gave it my all today, which was good. However, I found my voice going a bit towards the end of the day, so I need to learn how to modulate it a bit (maybe I'm so pumped up that I naturally speak louder in the classroom when lecturing and leading a discussion).

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 6, 2010

Darn, sorry Special-t. It's especially nice to get regular work now since school will be out in a few months & it would be nice to have a couple of good paychecks before school's out for the summer. I hope another LT job comes along soon.

9. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 8, 2010

Wow the schools gets a whole week off next week. It is winter break!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 8, 2010

I get this Fri & next Mon off for Presidents' b-days. Then, it's a full wk off for the 3rd wk in March! :)

11. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 8, 2010

Enjoy your break Ms. I!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 9, 2010

Thanks myownwoman. (Actually it's the 4th wk of March for spring vacation)!

13. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Feb 9, 2010

It was a snow day today! Schools will probably be closed tomorrow as well.

14. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Feb 9, 2010

A snow day?! What is that? LOL! We never get snow days where I am from! Today is one of the two days a week I can't sub due to college classes, but they were canceled for today per my teacher. I took the day off anyway since my dog had an already scheduled vet appointment for her rabies shot, I needed to wash some clothes, and I had to work 2nd job tonight! I just took a break, but hoping to get called tomorrow and friday!!

15. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 11, 2010

I had a wonderful day with cute preschoolers as we get ready for Valentine's Day.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 11, 2010

That's great myownwoman!

Normally, Thurs & Fri really drag at one of the schools I work at, but today zipped by. I've been there since after Thanksgiving & today was the 1st day it went by fast.

Now, to enjoy my 4-day weekend & Valentine's Day! :)

17. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Feb 11, 2010

Hi everyone! There has been a huge slowdown in subbing jobs lately. I only have one this week, and it is only because a teacher I subbed for prior, called me personally. I am actively searching for a private school position, or preschool position. I've applied to about 6 different jobs!

18. teacherincanada

teacherincanada Rookie

Feb 12, 2010

I had a WONDERFUL day!

First off, it was a late call (where a school is stuck and can't find someone). So I got to sleep in! I got the call at 10ish so went in at 10:30am and got paid for the whole day!

I was in a special needs class (grade 7/8 mild intellectual delay) which was great! No behaviour issues and great kids.
    There was an EA, and a student EA who were helpful and did everything. (I think I basically just had to be there because they need a certified teacher, legally).

They had cooked earlier, so I got fed.

Then in the afternoon I supervised a jr high dance which was hilarious and fun.

On top of that, it was the friendliest school I'd ever been at (staff were so welcoming).

I cannot believe I got paid like $200 for this day.
    (Other days make up for this though, haha).

19. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 16, 2010

I had a wonderful day with preschoolers again on Friday. We had a fun Valentine's Day.

20. ms.

ms. Comrade

Feb 18, 2010

I was given the wrong address to the elementary school (very embarrassing!) The elementary school didn't have a school name posted outside, so I didn't find out until I went into the office! Fortunately I was early so I had plenty of time to get to the correct elementary school.

I had a fun (half) day with a third grade class. I was asked if I was a princess by a few of the girls in the class, which has to be the silliest question I've ever been asked. :)

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 19, 2010

ms., it's good that you had time.

At the school I'm at on Mondays, a teacher who I've seen here & there in passing asked me for my sub # & fortunately, I had one of my business cards ready to give her at that moment. She's a 4th grade teacher, which I don't really do but I may need to give it a try again after my long-term assignment is over on March 19th.

I'm glad tomorrow's Friday!

22. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 19, 2010

Ms. I had a cute little talk with a Kinder who said she was a princess and that princesses are lazy. They are so sweet and funny.:lol:

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 19, 2010

myownwoman, how amusing! :)

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 24, 2010

Well, I had my usual Tues off yesterday. I was thinking about it the day prior & decided to go to Knott's Berry Farm, an amusement park. It was fabulous! There were hardly any people so the ride lines were nonexistent, the weather was perfect, it was nice & leisurely. It's days like those that make me never want to go to an amusement park ever again on the weekends or summer season. :)

So I have a month left of working 4 days/wk, then after the Easter break week off, I'll be down to 1 day/wk. Hopefully, I'll get another couple of days a wk at least.

25. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Feb 24, 2010

It must have been really empty since the whole world is at Disneyland for the reopening of Capt EO

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 24, 2010

Yep, it was fabulous alright! I love it when I can ride a ride & when it's over, I can just stay on it & ride it again! :D

27. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Feb 26, 2010

Ms. I, how I love Knotts Berry Farm! It has been ages since I been there.

I will have a 2 week assignment as an IA starting next Monday. I worked at this school before and I know the class I will be in.

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 27, 2010

That's great myownwoman. And I had the best time I've ever had at an amusement park! I think I'll tk advantage of the Universal Studios deal going on for school employees & go there soon too! I haven't been there in ages.

Well, I have 3 more wks of my long-term assignment, then, I'm down to working 1 day a wk regularly. Yesterday & today were long days for me & I'm so glad this wk is over! :dizzy:

29. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 28, 2010

Very excited! Long term teaching 9th grade ELA (I'm getting my credential in SPED, but have my BA in English and passed our state's ELA subject matter test).

The job might last till the end of the semester. Fingers crossed. Truly, no matter how long it lasts (weeks, a month, or all semester) I'm grateful for the work and looking forward to working with the students.

30. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 1, 2010

Congratulations on the LTS job, Special-t!

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 1, 2010

Great Special-t.

32. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Mar 3, 2010

That's wonderful news, special-t! Are you in school now getting your SpEd credential?

33. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Mar 4, 2010

Hi guys! No more subbing for me. It just wasn't cutting it money wise. So, I applied to some preschool jobs, as there are no elementary jobs here...and I got one. :D I start on Monday!!

34. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 4, 2010

Congratulations dragonfly05! Did you need preschool teaching experience? What is your position? I volunteered and subbed in some preschools before. I know that applicants need at least 12 Early Childhood Education (ECE) credits to be eligible. I currently have 8 and am looking to take some more courses.

Though I am thinking of first volunteering at a special ed school, then applying to work full time. If this does not work out (for whatever reason) I will go work in another field. I am already doing my homework on this, and whichever road I go on will be fine with me.

I might go on that road (or another one) since I received in the mail yesterday that my services would no longer be needed. I was not given a reason, though I did call the person on the management team. I am awaiting her reply. I think I do know the reason though. The district is working on a very limited budget, and I think they are laying off teachers. So I guess subs are the first to go.

I am alright though; I mean I have other possibilities ahead of me.

35. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Mar 4, 2010

Thank you! I have my B.A. Degree in Child Development, so I have more than enough ECE units. ;) I am a preschool teacher for the 3/4 year old class. I have no preschool experience, so my pay is lower than it would be if I did. It is still higher than I expected though, so I am happy!

Good luck to you, I hope it all works out.

36. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 4, 2010

Thank you dragonfly05. I think I can still apply to sub for the next school year, which is fine with me. There are only 3 more months left in the year! Can you believe that? I am lucky, at least I was not booted out during the beginning of the year. I will consider this only if I choose to continue to sub/teach.

37. luv2teachmusic

luv2teachmusic Rookie

Mar 4, 2010

Good day yesterday, was able to pick up a week long assignment which is roving at the same school. They wanted one person to do it so I just happened to be in the right place at the right time (yay!).

I work tomorrow and Weds full day and a half day Fri coming up. Hoping to pick up more days for next week. after that there are conferences then spring break for 2 weeks. During conferences they have half days and I am guessing not many sub jobs will be out there. Hopefully it all works out :)

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 4, 2010

dragonfly05, congrats. In my area, pre-school teachers get paid less by the hour than subs if you calculate both jobs' hourly pay, but at least the pre-school teaching job is permanent/steady work & you get benefits...at least I hope it is for you. :)

After tomorrow's over (Fri), I have 2 more wks of my current LT assignment, then, it's down to working 1 day a wk.

39. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Mar 4, 2010

Actually, as it turns out...if I were to work in the district that pays the most, it ends up being $15/hr if I work a full day. I am making .50 less hourly as a preschool teacher.. :)

40. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Mar 5, 2010

I've had a couple of really good sub days recently.

Last Thursday, I had agreed to drive a bus for one of the regular drivers at the school where I did my student teaching. We were on a 2-hour delay due to snow. When I got to the school, the secretary asked if I could sub for the 6th grade math/science teacher because he couldn't get in, so I ended up with a full day of subbing plus driving the bus morning and afternoon both.

Today, I was called to sub a half-day at our alternative school. I only had two block classes and a total of 3 students. :p That school get out earlier than most others. As soon as the students left, I got a call from my student-teaching school asking if I could drive a bus for them this afternoon, so another pretty full day of subbing in class and on the bus! :cool:

Now I'm just waiting on my certification from the state so I can start being paid as a certified sub instead of non-certified. :)