How Was Your Day Today?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Aug 11, 2009.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 19, 2010

I've done 7 days for a pre-k teacher who is serving on a jury. When I started this assignment, I felt fantastic. I'd just gotten over my second cold of the school year. Now I've picked up another one. Three colds in three months. Oy vey! I love the little kids, but they're hazzardous to my health!

Between that, and the heavy rain we've had this week, I really hope today is the last day they'll need me on this particular assignment. I need to get better.

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 19, 2010

jen12, I feel for you. It's like you're glad to get the work, but you're sick & want to rest. Take care, I hope you get better fast!

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 19, 2010

I didn't pick up a sub job today, so I had the day off.
    But, that's OK - today is my husband and my Silver Wedding Anniversary!

:wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

I made us a nice dinner and my husband brought home white roses and a box of dark chocolates! :)

We're going out to eat at a very nice restaurant on Saturday night.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 19, 2010

GlendaLL, nice!

5. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jan 20, 2010

I subbed in kindergarten again today. Their teacher will be back tomorrow. They were a little frightened by the thunder. It was raining so hard at their dismissal time that we had to go back into the classroom and have the proctor pick them up from there to walk them to their cars.

Tomorrow I'll be in a first grade.

6. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jan 20, 2010

:wub: How nice!!! Congrats!!!!!!

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 20, 2010

Thanks Ms. I and fast chalk! It's hard to believe we have been married for a quarter of a century!!

Today I am subbing for a seventh grade math teacher. He just has them doing worksheets, so it will be an easy day!
    And - I'll be done by 2:10 pm. Yay!

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 20, 2010

Wed is the only day of the wk I work w/ middle schoolers for LSH & I'm done by 1:30, but I onlywork w/ 8 students all day. I bring lots of magazines & other reading materials!

9. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jan 20, 2010

Ms. I , your work day is short; hope you enjoy it.

10. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 20, 2010

Yesterday and today I subbed in the same kinder class! It went well. The pm teacher I worked with asked if I could sub for her on Monday, so I even picked up another job while subbing! Yay!

The storms here have been crazy...which in turn means the kids have to have recess inside.

Kinders without recess for two days straight (and no outside play at home) = a tired me!! :p

11. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 20, 2010

Happy Anniversary!! :D

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 20, 2010

Thanks! :)

13. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 21, 2010

Wow the weekend is almost here!

14. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 22, 2010

Finally subbing a day today after only subbing 2 other days since comming back from christmas break! The class is good just talks way too much!! Its been a good day though.(Oh, its 2nd btw and the teacher took the day off cuz' its her bday)

15. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 25, 2010

I was finally able to contact Kelly Subs and I will be on the wait list. Better than nothing right? I still have to be interviewed, fingerprinted, and inform them of my availability and schools I want to work in. Their office is about an hour away from me. At least I can explore this city that I have not been to in a while. I am quite the explorer!:D

The district I sub at regularly, is just slow because it's the week after the holiday. At least that's what the sub coordinator told me.

Things are looking up!:thumb:

16. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 25, 2010

Glad things are looking up, myownwoman!

17. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 25, 2010

Thanks Jessica! I hope you are doing well yourself.

18. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Jan 26, 2010

I have not and will not sub this week. Monday- I was not called which was good since I had to clean house and wash clothes. Tue-(today) I have class at community college so again I do not sub. Wed- I have a dentist appointment and that was the only time slot I could get this week and I really need to go.(My dentist gets booked fast). Thur-Class again and Friday my dog has to go to vet for her teeth cleaning. I guess I could go for an afternoon half day if called and pick my dog up after school lets out. We shall see.

19. luv2teachmusic

luv2teachmusic Rookie

Jan 26, 2010

This is the last week of my LTS elementary music assignment I have had since November. I got a lot of exposure to different teachers since I did 1/2 hr music slots plus a chorus and the teachers come with the kids at 5 different schools a week. Some asked for my sub number and another teacher emailed everyone to let them know to request me if they are out (so nice of her). I am kind of nervous about not getting jobs again since it's been so great working every day and getting the great salary. I will miss this job!

So far nothing lined up for next week. I've gotten out of the habit of having my phone on me all day long so I'll have to get back to that. At this district jobs don't usually appear til the week of so we shall see!

We had horrid rain last week, that was not fun with all my music stuff :-(

20. indaydutay

indaydutay Rookie

Jan 26, 2010

My kindergarten class went smoothly today! Of course, I was only there from 11am - 2pm, but I was rather frightened. Luckily, they were a well-behaved group!

A week from now, I'll have 4th grade. I'm a little frightened due to my poor math skills, but I'm getting confident. At least I get a week to mentally prepare and... PREPARE.

21. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 27, 2010

Hey all! I've been out this week due to this nasty cold I have. I've been up since 2am because I can't breathe, I'm so congested. I plan to sub all next week though, so hopefully this cold will be gone!!! At least enough for me to teach.

22. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2010

Yesterday I subbed elementary library and it was a pretty easy day! I generally like subbing for library, because I like shelving books and I get to work with all of the grade levels in the school.

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 27, 2010

dragonfly, feel better soon!

Well, Weds (today) are my easy days. I work w/ only 8, sometimes 5 students in the whole day. I bring a lot of reading material!

Have a good day all!

24. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2010

I met my work quota this month - YAY!

25. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2010

I was SO scared about subbing my first Kindergarten class. But, it turned out to be really fun.
    And, regarding Math, they teach it so differently than when I was in school that I've had trouble figuring out what the heck they are doing. Just get to school early enough to go over the Teacher's Edition.

26. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jan 27, 2010

What is your work quota? We don't have a quota system in the districts I work in.

27. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 28, 2010

It's just my own personal quota, but it is based on how many hours I need to work to keep my district insurance during the next school year.

28. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 28, 2010

Thank you! I am feeling so much better today. Still congested, but I am ready for a full work week next week!!! :D

29. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 28, 2010

I am glad you feel better dragonfly05!

I am SO glad myself that I can continue working as a sub in this other district. I have called so many districts asking if they are still hiring subs, and all of them said no. Except this one! I had to renew my permit to continue subbing. Thank goodness. I am so relieved!

30. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 28, 2010

Which district are you subbing in? I'm also in Northern CA, and there are only a few districts here that are accepting subs as well.

31. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 28, 2010

Hello dragonfly05 how are you doing?

I am working with the Franklin-McKinley district in SJ. I was subbing for them since December of the 2008-2009 school year. I am glad I get to continue. I could not before because my sub permit expired. I renewed it recently, so I just show the permit to the sub coordinator, and she will update my file. Then I am good to go.

The reason why I am doing this, is it has been really slow with this other district I am subbing at. I am so grateful that I applied to sub with the SJ district during the last school year.

32. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Jan 28, 2010

How crazy, I did my ST at Franklin McKinley!! Franklin Elem. to be exact. That is great that you were able to get in there. Good luck!

I am actually in the Sacramento area, I was thinking you might be as well.

33. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 28, 2010

That is a good district and it's not too far from me. About 20-25 minutes. I am excited to be working here again. Thanks!

Good luck to you too!

34. luv2teachmusic

luv2teachmusic Rookie

Jan 28, 2010

Had a cold today but today and tomorrow are the last two days of my long term job so decided to brave work regardless.

A group of 3rd graders made me a special poster and signed it saving they were going to miss me, so sweet.

No jobs lined up for next week, I'm nervous!

35. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jan 28, 2010

I had a great day in first grade today. The kids taught me "Thank you" and "You're welcome" in sign language; we used it during the day as I handed things to them.

36. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Jan 28, 2010

My second ST assignment was 5th grade and I hated it. I pretty much only sub up to 4th unless I haven't worked for several days. This happened, so I took a 5th grade job for today.

The three 5th classes mixed and matched for ELA and math. I got through the homeroom group and the ELA group, and then I started to think maybe I hadn't given the 5th graders a chance and maybe I'd just always gotten bad classes.

Then, I got the math group. They had no interest in fractions and I had two boys on one side of the room and one boy on the other side (who the rest of the kids told me was a problem) who clowned the entire time.

I ignored it. I separated the trouble makers and tried to go on with my lesson. Only one kid was even trying to solve the problems, but Trouble Boy kept raising his hand, waving it around and promising he knew the answer. So, I asked him to solve the problem. His response was "your nose is big."

Charming child. Fortunately I only had him for about an hour out of the day.

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 28, 2010

Good!

38. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 29, 2010

Bleh, today I'm subbing at a middle school with 107 minute blocks. I really like the staff at the school, and the students are good kids. BUT, can you imagine trying to hold the attention of adolescents for 107 minutes??? And, it's math ...

39. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 29, 2010

Special-t -- Ick! None of "my" schools have block scheduling.

I'm subbing for a high school social studies teacher.
    Very easy day - Current Events students read a magazine and answer questions on a worksheet. Political/Economic Decisions have a handout about the bombs dropped on Japan that they have to read and then answer written questions about.

I'm glad the weekend is almost here! But, it's going to be a COLD one here! It went down to 10 degrees last night. It will continue to be cold through the weekend. However, the weather man says that we will just miss the big winter storm to the south of us.

40. Anne wmcosuvamu

Anne wmcosuvamu Companion

Jan 29, 2010

I subbed in middle school Spec Ed today for the first time. What a blast! The kids were great, and it was soo nice having two other teachers/facilitators in there. We got to do a lot of small group and one-on-one work. :D Lots of fun!

We did a science experiment with thermometers in room temperature water, ice water, and boiling water. I got the boiling, and it was so cute when I put the thermometer in and they were all, "ooooooh! Look at it go up!"

Definitely a great Friday. :D