How Was Your Day Today?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Aug 11, 2009.

1. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Nov 4, 2009

Just a bit annoyed with some of the adults around me, specifically the team leader for this year, the principal, and some lovely parents.

As far as the team leader goes, I've been trying very hard to not say anything negative about her to anyone else, but it finally spilled out when the new teacher on our team called me up after school to tell me about something else. I said, "Is it just me, or did you think....."

She burst out laughing and said she had been thinking the same thing for quite awhile, but didn't want to "rock the boat."

So it was nice to vent and laugh about it, but now I have to pull it back together and STOP. It's going to be hard, though, to not look at the new teacher during our team meetings and keep from cracking up over what the team leader is saying. (We take turns being team leader, and this one has decided it must give her some kind of magic power and must mean that she's an exceptional teacher who can tell us all what we're doing wrong.)

Does that make any sense at all? Probably not, but it's good to write it down and remind myself to not sink to her level.

It will be a miracle if I don't delete this post.

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 5, 2009

shouldbeasleep good for you! :thumb:

Well, guys, I have 2 tough exams tomorrow for my college classes, but after those 2 are over, the rest of the month is smooth sailing! Then, final exams the beginning of Dec.

3. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Nov 5, 2009

Thank you!! It went well. :) She told me she also recruits for full time teaching positions, and she will be looking out for me. :D I would LOVE to teach in this district!!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 5, 2009

Good dragonfly!

Drats! I could have subbed a total of 4 days this week, but instead, it's been only 1 day, probably 2. Oh well, I can't work them all (sigh!), but when I think how I missed out on easily making $250, it makes me cringe in a way!

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 5, 2009

That's great, dragonfly! I hope it leads to a full-time for you!

I subbed in resource today and it went pretty well. I love subbing when I get to have small groups all day! I feel like I really get to know a few of the students.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 6, 2009

2 honors English classes today - what a pleasure. It was so nice to see kids actually enjoy reading. It gave me hope that maybe we do have some future professionals in our schools. Sometimes I walk out of school very afraid for the future of our country. But not today!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 7, 2009

Great Jessica, yes, that's what made me get my MA & credentials to be an RSP teacher, which I only did for a year. I love the small grp too!

Friday was fairly easy, I did speech aka LSH for language, speech, & hearing, but it felt loooong. It's funny how some work days seem to zip by & others ( most of the time) feel so long.

8. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 7, 2009

Well I do not know what to think about this teacher I subbed for, for 2 weeks. I had a LT assignment in this classroom last year for 4 months. Yesterday was my last day in this classroom, and I thought I was appreciated for all the hard work I did. However, when it was time for me to leave I saw the teacher look at the clock and back to his work. Was that a sign of him wanting me to leave? He did not even bid me a goodbye! How inconsiderate. Therefore, I did not say goodbye to him either.

Am I reading too much into this?

9. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 7, 2009

It sounds like he should have at least said good-bye and thanked you, myownwoman.

10. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 9, 2009

Yes he should have! Thanks Jessica26.

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2009

I was in for a third-grade special education teacher this morning at a school I hadn't been to yet. It seemed like a very nice school and the day went well. Tomorrow and Thursday I am subbing for a resource teacher that I have been in for one and half days already and hopefully they'll go as smoothly as my other days for her have.

12. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 9, 2009

I hope you have a great day in her class Jessica!

13. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 9, 2009

Thanks, myownwoman!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 9, 2009

Starting next Mon, I'll be working w/ a few new students at the school I'm normally at on Mondays. I was told a couple of them were a handful.

I'll also work Thurs & Fri to meet w/ the SLP I'll be subbing for while she's on maternity leave.

15. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 10, 2009

On Friday and Monday, I subbed at an intermediate school to supervise ISS - In School Suspension. There were only two boys in there. One was fine, but the other had a BAD ATTITUDE! They ended up putting him in the office on Friday, because he just refused to cooperate with me. On Monday, he was with me, but wasn't too awful until the very end of the day.

Today I am subbing at a high school for a special ed teacher. SUPER EASY day! Four periods FREE, plus a lunch period FREE!

16. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 10, 2009

On Monday I'll have a dentist appointment so I cannot work that day. On Tuesday I'll be in a 3rd grade class and on Wednesday I'll be a floater for an elementary school. I especially enjoy the floater assignments as I will be in for a little bit in each classroom.

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2009

My day was pretty good today. Not quite as smooth as other days for this teacher (I think some of the kids were wound up because they have tomorrow off!).

18. JoStar

JoStar Rookie

Nov 12, 2009

Hoo boy. It's my 3rd day in a 5 day-long assignment teaching gr. 10 and 12 English, and everything has been going wonderfully until 5th period today. So far, I have had no problems with the classes and have never had any problems with this teacher's classes until today.

Let me explain:
    I have the same student in pd. 2 and pd. 5. In pd. 2, said student had his cell phone out and was texting. I took it for the period, and told him if I saw it in 5th, I would take until the next day. So in 5th period, he says "can I make one text?" to which I said, "no, class is over in 20 minutes, you can wait." He told me that his mom texted him and he needs to reply and I said that "if it was an emergency, she should know to call the office, who would then call the classroom."

Anyway, he took his phone out and texted her anyway, so when I asked him to hand over his phone, he refused and said "what? I have to f***ing text my mom!"

The expression on my face must have been obvious, because he said "I guess I'll be going" and left. This is a grade 12 student who I normally get along with, so I was quite surprised at his attitude today. Anyway, I left a note for his teacher, and informed the principal of the situation, and apologized for not sending the student to the office like I should have. The principal said he understood and said he would talk with the student.

Anyway, I just feel awful about the whole thing! I feel dumb for not sending the student to the office like I should have and I just kind of feel a little hurt, since I actually really like this student and we normally get along.

Even though the first four periods of the day went fantastically well, that incident just kind of wipes it all out *sigh*

has this happened to anyone else?

19. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Nov 12, 2009

I totally feel and have experienced what you've felt. One bad apple really does spoil the bunch. I had a student (at a continuation high school) get extremely huffy, antagonistic when I asked her to put away her IPOD, with the attitude of "how dare you do this when I am working quietly away?" Well, she apparantly decided to push her luck with me and took out her phone, which I promptly snatched away. This made the student fly into a rage, who yelled at me "Give me back my ******* phone!" She basically told me she wanted her phone back and would go to the office. I shook my head and said no. She finally marched out of the classroom in a rage to supposedly plead her case with the administration.

A few minutes later I get a call from the office to send another student with her purse and her phone. I sent the student with the her possessions to the office. After class I talked with the office secretary who said that the student was out of line, including barging into her office with her story. I told her that the student was extremely antagonistic, rude, and nasty towards me when I asked her to put away her ipod. The admin said that the girl has a temper, and unfortunately, did not make the right choices in this case. She asked me to write up a referral and would have the principal follow up on the disciplinary measures.

Unfortunately, lost in all of this drama was that I got the rest of the class on task. And they were pretty much well behaved!

20. luv2teachmusic

luv2teachmusic Rookie

Nov 12, 2009

Pretty Good Day

Hello All! I am new to the forum but this is my first year subbing. I have a music and English credential. I am currently subbing K-6 in a district that has 10 schools. I am holding off on applying to more school districts because I have a long-term sub position for a minimum of 8 weeks coming up starting in late Dec or early in Jan after winter break, so I don't want to take on anything . Lately I am subbing most every day so I already have a lot of jobs, which I am thankful for.

I did have a bit of a rough day earlier on because the fact that I got an early am call to do a morning half day at the school which I was going to substitute an afternoon already. The teacher was unclear on the time I was supposed to be there and I had to wait for the other teacher to get back. I was a mere 3-4 minutes behind, and the other teacher was very very angry about this and was pretty rude. That got me shaken for times when I have 1/2 days at 2 different school sites.

Today I did 2 different school site 1/2 days, but got to leave one early because they'd be at lunch until the teacher got back. That put me only 5 mins behind on the 2nd job and the teacher was super sweet. It was a Kinder class and they did a great job. It made me feel better after having a bad day.

Nice to "meet" you all!

I don't have any jobs lined up for next week- hopefully some will pop up soon :)

21. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Nov 13, 2009

I'm entering the last day of a week-long assignment teaching foods in high school. I have so much respect for this teacher! Running around making sure kids don't cut themselves (or each other), don't set themselves on fire and watching 7 kitchens in action 3 times a day is exhausting! (We made meatloaves one day, browned beef another, had a guest chef in and now have individual recipes for beef that need to be completed today.)

I've had to unclog sinks, run laundry, prevent highschool boys from eating raw meat and slashed my arm on a piece of equipment while trying to find supplies in the back room.

Cannot wait until 3 so I can open a beer. (Is that sad that I'm planning on imbibing and it's not even 6 am???) I've earned it this week.

22. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 13, 2009

I am subbing for a seventh grade social studies teacher today.
    There was a two-hour delay in the start of the day because once a month, this school district does teacher training at the beginning of the day.

Then the kids get to sleep in and go to school late. And today, so does the sub! Better yet, I get paid for the whole day!
    The periods are only about 25 minutes long, so this day will fly by! I just have to pass out a Current Events magazine and a worksheet to each of the classes.

23. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 13, 2009

FYI for me: I never accept 2 diffrent half days unless they are at the same school otherwise I know I will be late to the 2nd half day because the teacher from 1st part of the day won't relive me until its time to be at the 2nd part. Also, if I am subbing for someone in the morning and someone in the afternoon and I see the afternoon teacher in the hall I explain that I am still subbing for them but am in xyz's room for the momment. I also, tell whoever called me for morning that I can only sub if they let me out in time to be at 2nd part.

24. luv2teachmusic

luv2teachmusic Rookie

Nov 13, 2009

Hi All,

Had a great day subbing 6th grade. Also, the LTS job I was supposed to start in January will now start on....Monday!

The lady got a migraine last night and ended up having her baby over a month early. I am excited but scared a bit, since i was supposed to have shadow days which I never got. I will be meeting with other music teacher to discuss plans tomorrow!

It will be nice to have 6-12 weeks to not worry about finding a job each day- and to be making $210 a month in addition to additional $30 an hour for each hour I spent at afterschool rehearsals and concerts :)

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 14, 2009

So these last 2 days, I finished shadowing the SLP & working w/ some new kids for the 1st time for a LTS speech job I'll be doing from Dec - April. Then next Wed, I'll be shadowing her at the middle school I'll also be wrking at. This SLP will be on maternity leave.

Weds are going to be very easy money, kick-back days! :D

26. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 14, 2009

Good luck with your LTS job, luv2teachmusic!

27. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 15, 2009

I hope it goes well luv2teachmusic!

28. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 25, 2009

The week after Thanskgiving, I work all 5 days next week. I'll usually be working 4 days a wk in general though.

29. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Nov 26, 2009

I'm excited. I have two jobs next week. One is first grade, the other is for reading resource. Hopefully I can book the rest of the week as well! :D

30. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 27, 2009

Monday, I start 3 weeks of 8th grade History. I'm so thankful to be working all of December because my district take a very long 3 week break.

31. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Dec 1, 2009

I had a pretty good day yesterday - I subbed for an RSP at a high school.

Didn't really know what to expect but it was a good experience. From the sub standpoint, being in a resource room has the advantages of low student to teacher (and aide) ratio, and the presence of aides, who can be helpful.

It was also really illuminating to administer a reading and writing assessment to the kids and notice the range of reading abilities. Boy, in one class several of the kids were really anxious and nervous about it despite the aide reassuring them that it would not affect their grade. My heart goes out to these students who struggle yet give it the old college try.

By and large the vast majority of the kids were pretty motivated to use their time productively. There was really only one kid who was a problem child - and all of the notes left by the regular teacher warned the sub about her.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 1, 2009

This particular wk, I'm working all 5 days, so it will zip by pretty fast! Tomorrow's already Wed!

33. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 2, 2009

Well this week was/is a bust. Thank goodness I have a 2nd job. Heres my week: Monday no call, Tue I can't sub cuz' I take classes at a community college, wed. (which is today) school is canceled due to bad weather Which was only bad this morning(but I understand the worry of kids being out in it loading busses and such). Thur- class at community college so can't sub and Friday--I can't sub cuz' we have someone comming to fix our broken dishwasher. and they have to do it in AM since I work 2nd job in the afternoon. Maybe I will be called next week!!

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 2, 2009

I'm supposed to be getting a certain daily pay, but I just might have caught my district in an error, meaning I should have possibly been getting $10 more per day for numerous days all last school year, so I have to get to the bottom of this! :mad: If I'm right, my dist owes me a lot of money!

mandagap06, hopefully it will pick up ASAP for you!

35. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Dec 2, 2009

That would be a very pleasant happening for you!

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 2, 2009

Yes, it will be like getting a Christmas bonus! I hope it's indeed a mistake on their part after all!

This wouldn't be the first time I caught my district payroll dept in a mistake, but none would be as huge an error as this!

37. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Dec 4, 2009

Yesterday was a good day! Finally. I really like this district, and do not think I will be going back to the other one. I am subbing for reading resource today and I am not sure what to expect. Should be interesting!

38. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Dec 4, 2009

I was floating between 2 fifth-grade classrooms yesterday, and even though the students were talkative, I had a really good time! They completed most of their work and I was really proud of them. Many of the students were very helpful and they made my day so much easier.

Though I did have to settle their disputes when they were playing wall ball/handball. All in all, I had a pretty good day!

39. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Dec 4, 2009

I subbed in K today. The student who was hard to manage the last time I was in this class was much better today; he thanked me every time I handed him a paper, snack, etc. :) Tonight I'm attending this school's staff holiday party.

40. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Dec 4, 2009

So, instead of doing reading resource--I subbed half day 1st grade...second half of day in 2nd grade. Went pretty well, although kids were quite chatty! :)