How Was Your Day Today?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2009

It's good when we find schools that appreciate us when we work. Luckily I've mostly had the experience where the staff has been welcoming and willing to answer questions if I have them. I'm subbing tomorrow for one of the teachers I student taught for so I'm pretty sure my day will go well.

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 20, 2009

myownwoman, sorry you were treated that way. I've never heard of a school actually telling someone it's time for them to go. They're the ones who ALWYAS need all the help they can get! :confused:

Your situation makes me think of something that's really UNFAIR. If us subs aren't liked by the teachers we sub for & it could be any little dumb reason, the teachers have the power to blackball us from ever subbing for that class or school again, YET when us subs are treated like trash, if we even try to maybe say something, no one cares because after all, we're "just" the subs.

I wish ALL the districts would develop a way for us subs to evaluate and/or comment how we were treated on every job...anonymously of course, so the principal, school, personnel dept can really see how us subs are treated. And the teachers who are seen as mean, ungrateful, unappreciative, etc. can have some kind of mark against them in their evaluations in the professionalism category.

3. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 21, 2009

Ms. I it was like they could not wait to get rid of me. I said to myself, I had enough of that class (or school in general as only one of the secretaries was nice to me, as the other gave me odd looks) and I gratefully left.

There is one school that I am continually requested to sub at, who treats their subs with so much respect and courtesy. They are truly a class act.

I love your system where the subs can anonymously and safely grade the districts according to how they are treated. The teachers are the ones who get evaluated and they need training on professionalism and how to respect substitutes. Maybe, the teachers who get the lowest marks will have no subs covering for them, until the probationary time passes. Those teachers cannot call in absent because they have nobody to cover for them. Perhaps that will teach them a valuable lesson on how important subs are?

Thanks all for letting me vent!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 21, 2009

Yes, myownwoman!

5. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Oct 21, 2009

Hi there! Well, I ended up having to cancel my first subbing job last week because I got really sick. :( Just got registered in another district, so now I have two to choose from! Hopefully by months end, I will be registered in a third district. Unfortunately, those are the only three in this area accepting new subs at the moment. Better than nothing though! Hopefully I will have my first job tomorrow! :)

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 21, 2009

Good dragonfly05. How large are each of these districts? If they have at least 15 schools, you should stay pretty busy. But then it depends on how many subs each district keeps on hand.

7. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Oct 21, 2009

They both have about 15 schools. The one I am waiting on is bigger than that. They keep a lot of subs on hand, especially the most recent one I registered with. There were 80 new subs processed within 3 weeks before me. :eek:

8. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 21, 2009

dragonfly05 that is why now is the time to make yourself known to the schools. Send out business cards, call/email the teachers with your availability, your request # if the district provides one, and a little about yourself. This will get you prioritized on the sub list, so therefore you will be among the first to get contacted about subbing assignments.

As you are working, you will develop a reputation and word will spread about how capable and reliable you are. That will make you popular to the teachers (as well as the principal and the secretaries) and you will get the assignments pretty frequently.

Best wishes!

9. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Oct 22, 2009

Thank you so much for all of the advice!!! I have my first job today from 11am-2:45. My stomach is in knots. :lol: I hate that I get nervous, but I hate not knowing if there is going to be a lesson plan, etc. I know I'll get over it in time. It's for 4th grade which I feel comfortable with being that I just completed ST with 4th in the Spring. I am bringing some read aloud books, a bell as an attn getter, some games/puzzles, and some other activities in case there is no lesson plan. I plan to give out tickets to kids who are behaving, exceeding my expectations, participating in class discussion, etc. and then do a raffle at the end of the day for things like pencils and erasers. Hoping that will be a good addition to my classroom management. :D

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 22, 2009

I thought that I would have the day off today since nothing came up on Aesop last night. Then at 6:00 am a job came up for a special ed teacher at a middle school. I have subbed for her in the past and I know it's a great sub job. So, I snapped it up.

At about 10:00 am, the secretary called my classroom. She had just gotten off the phone with my husband!
    HE IS BEING DISCHARGED FROM THE HOSPITAL TODAY!! YAY!!

My husband had surgery one week ago today to have his colon removed. It has been a real "roller coaster" of a week - good news, bad news, good news, bad news.

I can't wait to have him home! :wub:

11. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Oct 22, 2009

Sounds like you had lots of good news today! That is great to hear. :)

I accepted another job for Tuesday. So excited!!

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 22, 2009

Good Glenda.

On a different note, I'd much rather be called about a sub job a week or even a day in advance rather than the morning of the day...I really hate the latter! I'm glad it doesn't happen to me often because I usually have long-term assingments that last for mos.

13. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 22, 2009

Wow congratulations Glenda on your hubby finally coming home! Bless you and him. Also, I hope you have a great day today subbing 4th grade! Have fun.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 22, 2009

So today's a free day for me (I only worked Mon). I'm alternating doing school work & taking breaks by watching TV or posting on this board! :) Later today, I'm meeting a classmate to discuss scool work & then we'll have lunch.

15. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2009

That's great Glenda!

I subbed third grade yesterday and it went pretty well and then I worked at my part time job so it was a long day. Today I subbed in elementary special education for just the morning which wasn't bad. I love it when I just have a morning subbing job!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 22, 2009

Yes, those 1/2 day jobs are nice sometimes, but it hardly happens to me.

17. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 22, 2009

Just an FYI, you guys should look in the General Education section. I started a couple of interesting threads that have to do w/ subs! :)

18. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2009

The teacher I subbed for this morning just e-mailed me and asked me if I was available for three full days and one half day in November, so that's good. I like subbing in classes (and for teachers) that I have been in before.

19. suniloneal34

suniloneal34 Rookie

Oct 22, 2009

Awesome Awesome Day

This is my first year in the education industry (I'm 24) and I am getting my feet wet by subbing. I started subbing at the beginning of the year so have been doing this for about 2.5 months now. Subbing is much, much, much harder than I thought. It is mostly the unpredictability, lack of knowledge in subjects/teaching methods and the unknown with rules/kids names/etc. I was very close to just giving up on teaching/education and grabbing the first 9-5 desk job I could get.

However, I have stuck with it and understood that confidence comes only from repetition and success. I sub charter schools and have had good luck in being called into the same school 20+ times now. It is a 5th-7th school with about 200 students. I now know about 100 of them by name, and all of them by sight since I have been their so often.

Today, during launch (all kids outside sitting while announcements are made) was recognition day for making the honor roll (free dress pins given). Additionally, teachers also got recognition pins (for free dress days). All of the permanent teachers were called up and at the end the principal hadn't called me (Understandably, since the free dress is only Fridays and it is random what day I would be there). The students realized I wasn't getting one and all 200+ of them started chanting my name to receive one also.

As a sub, I am just happy to have the respect of the students and teachers because it makes the day so enjoyable. At this point, I have subbed for every teacher at the school and feel such a positive connection to the faculty and the students. A moment like this is what makes teaching completely worth it. Students have had other substitutes come into their classrooms and have made it clear to their teacher that they prefer me coming in on days they are going to have a sub.

Earlier this week there were board of education (or whoever gives money to charter schools) administrators at the school going into classrooms to observe the classrooms, teaching methods and students. I was subbing for a 5th grade English class and they were working together, participating, asking questions and the students were just overall being awesome kids. The admin lady came over after the class to talk and asked me how many years I had been teaching at the school! I told her i was just subbing and trying to help where I could.

Given where I started from and where I am now...it has really been a series of valleys and peaks. My understanding of what it takes to be a teacher, what works in a classroom, how to demonstrate positive leadership, when to smile and when to frown and a billion other things have evolved and developed so much in a short time.

Subbing really was a great way for me to test my limits of what I could do. It has helped me open up even beyond the classroom and help develop my ability to communicate clearly. I still have loads and loads to learn (mostly how to use humor to engage a classroom).

A few students I have worked with many times on homework's, classwork's, and that I have seen real improvement (60%+ on mastery tests) made the honor roll today. It was such a great feeling to see these kids make positive strides in their lives.

I haven't used this site much...except the first few days I started subbing. I just wanted to post a report since that time because the things I did read on here, in forums and main pages, helped get me mentally ready for the challenge of subbing.

20. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 22, 2009

It sounds like you're doing a great job subbing, suniloneal!

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 22, 2009

Today, I got a call from one of the schools at my district. They wanted to know if I was interested in subbing for the rest of the year for a general ed class...I assume the end of the school yr in May, not the end of this year (Dec). I had to politely decline, but I thanked them for thinking of me. I already have a long-term gig till the end of the school year for speech, laguage & hearing classes.

I agree!

22. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Oct 26, 2009

Today has already been a disappointment! I was called early last night for a job today, this Friday and in the middle of November. I was up, at the school ready to check in and face the day when the secretary told me the job was for next Monday! Apparently the sub caller and the secretary knew they needed someone for a Monday, but didn't have a date. I asked if they needed me for anything else for the day, but they didn't. So now I'm home trying to figure out what to do with myself. The kicker is that I had a couple of other job opportunities this morning but declined them because I was already booked!

23. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 26, 2009

Oh no, what a bummer! Well, now that you're wide awake, are there some chores or errands yu've been putting off because you never had time? Maybe today's the day to do it. How about going out to get breakfast? When I do that, it's like a treat for me, since I don't really eat breakfast hardly at all.

Have a good day & week everyone! :D

24. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 26, 2009

Today is a staff learning day, though I do not need to be there. I am enjoying my day off today, but also looking forward to going back to see the kiddos tomorrow!:)

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 26, 2009

Well, I got my district email set up again. The school years that I'm long-term, my district allows me to have my own district email. :)

My district has this Fri off for the kids. I know they think it's becuase of Halloween, but it's due to a staff development day, so I don't sub either.

26. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2009

I'm subbing in junior high tomorrow afternoon. I'm nervous about going back to this age group (the first semester last year I was a middle school math teacher out of state and it was a difficult age group for me), but I figured that a half day was the time to try it.

27. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Oct 27, 2009

I just subbed for an ELD (English language development) teacher today. Some of the classes were OK, one particular student just didn't want to stay on task. Had to move him to another seat and he kept migrating back. Also was busy socializing. Finally I asked him, "Do you want to stay in this classroom? If you keep talking and not doing any work, I can't have you here. Do you understand?" He nodded. He didn't do much of the classwork but at least he wasn't trying to get attention or be funny.

I met with the regular teacher and said that that boy was a real character, she was not surprised.

On the positive, I'll have to say that pretty much of the oter students were pretty good and I felt good about helping them out with their schoolwork.

28. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Oct 27, 2009

Yeah, well today I got a message that one assignment for this Friday was cancelled. I think the teacher must have changed plans or something. Sometimes that happens. Well, at least I have more time to work on my classwork and TPAs

29. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Oct 27, 2009

Hooray! That's great news!

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 28, 2009

I only sub on Mondays until Dec starts (then it's 4x/wk), so I'm pretty free. Today, I went to the gym & did a little grocery shopping & ALWAYS studying/reading for my college classes.

31. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 28, 2009

I ended up subbing kindergarten in the afternoon. It went pretty well. This might be the last day of the week for me, because I've decided to sub mainly in elementary schools and the main district I sub in has half days in the elementary the next two days and the other district that I sub in has a half day for everyone on Friday.

32. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Oct 29, 2009

Hi everyone! So, my first day of subbing went pretty well last week. It was 4th grade and there were very few disruptions. Not as great as when I ST, but smooth enough where I would come back. Then, I had my second job at the same school, but 1st grade a couple days ago. It was the worst day of my life. These kids were out.of.control. The teacher told me she didn't have a great class before she left...and said not to hesitate to send kids to the office. :eek: And, I had to. It was horrible! Not going back there ever again.

I did apply for a K/1 combo position today. It is about 40 miles from where I live, however it would be something more permanent for now. So, we will see!! :D

33. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 29, 2009

I had another awesome day today in a SDC and tomorrow I'll be celebrating Halloween with the kiddos.

34. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Oct 30, 2009

FRIDAY + DAY BEFORE HALLOWEEN + FESTIVAL TONIGHT + SUBSTITUTE + TREATS = You can do the math

35. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Oct 30, 2009

I actually enjoyed subbing 7th & 8th grade today. I think I'm starting to get the hang of managing this age group (famous last words). We got to watch a scary movie during the last half hour of class which made the day even easier.

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 30, 2009

No work today, no school for the kids due to staff development day.

37. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Nov 1, 2009

I had a wonderful time with the kids all dressed up in costumes, and we had a fun party afterwards. I cannot wait to see them tomorrow.

38. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 4, 2009

I rarely get called on the morning of the day to sub, but it happened today. The automated system called at 7:20 to be there at 7:40. Normally, I'd take it, but this is my last day to study for 2 tests.

39. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Nov 4, 2009

So, I have an interview today with another district...for subbing. I have never had to interview for subbing before, so I'm a little nervous! Hopefully I get in because this is an excellent district...one I have a great desire to get a full time teaching job at. :D

40. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 4, 2009

Good luck, dragonfly! The two districts where I'm on the sub list I had to interview. The questions were pretty easy (like what would you do if you had no plans, how do you know that students are understanding what you're teaching them, what do you do when students test you as a sub, etc.). You'll be fine!