How Was Your Day Today?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Aug 11, 2009.

1. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 1, 2009

Oh Ms. I that is terrific. I am glad you got well compensated for your time!

I do try to squeeze in some time when I find it! Sometimes it's just not there.:lol:

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 2, 2009

myownwoman, thanks!

3. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Oct 2, 2009

Super easy day today! I'm subbing for a fifth grade teacher. I have five classes with the same lesson - take a spelling test, students trade/grade, then silent reading.

:thumb:

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 2, 2009

Yes, it's so fabulous when we have those super easy days! :D

5. dragonfly05

dragonfly05 Companion

Oct 2, 2009

Hey there! I just accepted my very first subbing job. It's not until Oct 14th and it's half day in 3rd grade. I'm nervous, although I am sure it will go well!

6. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 3, 2009

dragonfly05 wow I hope you have a great day when you sub! Since this is your first subbing job, picking up a half day is a terrific launching pad in which to learn from and prepare for your future subbing jobs.

Usually the teacher will have a lesson plan and the assignments/activities the class will compete (with your guidance and direction) based on what time it is.

For example:

12:00-12:40 Lunch
    12:40-1:00 Independent Reading
    1:00-2:00 Math
    2:00-2:30 P.E.
    2:30-3:00 Journal
    3:00 Dismissal

That's usually the lesson plan that I work from when I sub.

Best wishes!

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 13, 2009

Hope all you subs are doing great out there! Since the yr started, I've subbed only on Mondays since 9/21 w/ another day once or twice.

BUT...! I just got word that starting the 2nd wk of Nov, I'll be working a total of 4 days a week & this will probably last till the end of the year in May 2010. I'm subbing for 2 of the SLPs (speech-language pathologists) & one of them is going to be on maternity leave.

Yahoo! :haha:

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 13, 2009

Congratulations, Ms. I!

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 13, 2009

Thank you Jessica26!

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 14, 2009

Well, it's raining & probably will all day & I'm off today! :D I'm sure I'll stay home, listen to my online college class lectures & read, watch some TV. I've been watching episodes of Shark Tank that I missed due to recording other shows. Later, I'll probably make an egg sandwich & have noodles for lunch/dinner.

I love days like this & I have tomorrow off too. Friday, I sub again.

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 14, 2009

This is a neat thread; helpful for new subs. I'm not a sub, just unemployed at the moment! (And for the foreseeable future.) I tutor on Sundays (2 kids) and will have 2 more kids a few nights a week starting next week. So, I'm free and on here many days. Keeps me out of the stores. Your day sounds relaxing, Ms.I.

12. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 14, 2009

Way to go Ms. I!

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 14, 2009

Thanks Upsadaisy & myownwoman! :D

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2009

I'm not subbing today, either and I have to admit that I love my free days! We'll see if I end up subbing tomorrow or Friday, but if I don't it's alright because I have a lot of hours at my part-time job this week.

15. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 14, 2009

Sometimes it's great to relax, you do need those personal days.

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 14, 2009

Yes, subbing is so fabulous! You make OK money & you do it whenever you feel like it. I mean what other job can you take off when you want & take off just like that when you're sick?

It would just be nice if us subs got benefits.

I wish they would figure out a way, like at the end of the school year, if you subbed a certain amt of days, they'll reimburse you so much (which could go towards any doctor visits you had during the year...or go towards anything else! :))

17. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Oct 15, 2009

A tough day

I subbed at a continuation school today, for a English lit class on a block period day.

Kids didn't want to stay on track. One period was particularly rough, the kids claimed they finished the work, so I gave them books to write essay questions but did little but socialize (they're allowed to work in groups).

One girl got all huffy when I told her to put away her handphone completely and made what I thought was a veiled threat "I'm not the student who you want to deal with." She refused to work on the classwork, instead working on what appeared to be an archietectural drawing for another class. She doesn't seem to be motivated to do the work because she said she has "enough points" to earn credits.

I also referred another boy who refused to move to another seat when asked (because he was disruptive) and told me to "get out of my face". He ran out of the classroom after that.

I have these kids again tomorrow. I won't have that disruptive boy in the classroom. The other kids I think they're lying when they said they finished the work because they didn't have any turned in work from previous classes. I do have a couple of other things up my sleeve, there is an extra assignment that the teacher left me, I think I can use it.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 16, 2009

JackTrader, sorry you had a rough day. If only us subs didn't need the money, we could band together & say, "We're not going to sub in these rough classes w/ these smart ass punk kids!" When these teachers see that no sub wants to work in their class, maybe something more will be done to keep them in line.

See, I'm really, really picky! I don't sub for certain types of classes because I know I can sub in other types of classes that's easier money. It's all the same day's pay. And I'm so blessed to still work 3+ days a week generally.

Now, some subs have the "if you can't beat them, join them" type belief where they figure it's just one day or two, so they'll let the kids run wild & the subs still earned their money for the day. I'm not saying that's right or wrong. People have their own personal financial situations & therefore they do what they have to do...so be it.

19. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 16, 2009

JackTrader I hope you have a better day today! How long is your assignment for that particular teacher? I know that class is tough, but think about it this way, you are not their regular teacher so you do not have to deal with them on a daily basis.

Ms. I it would be wonderful if subs do get benefits for all our hard work! Maybe, this will make subs feel more appreciated more apt to stay in teaching.

20. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 16, 2009

O my goodness that seems like something that would have happened to mean! I know the feeling though simular stuff have happened!!I would be mad as fire too!!

21. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2009

I subbed in library today. It was a pretty easy day.

22. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 16, 2009

I had fall break today. My day was great!

23. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Oct 16, 2009

Thanks for the kind words. I have a 2 day assignment and that was my first day.

Anyway, on my second day (today), I wrote another referral for a girl who was outraged that I deigned to ask her to put away her I-pod (electronic devices are prohibited in class) and went on a mouthy rant. She actually had the gall to pull out her cellphone and proceed to use it - and I confiscated it. Boy, that set her off like dynamite, and student proceeded to launch in a profanity-laced tirade. I stood my ground and said nothing, and despite her pleas, I refused to give it back to her and she stormed out of the classroom and to the office. Later on, I talked with the school secretary to touch bases on this particular student. The school secretary concurred that I was following procedures and the student (who reportedly has a hot temper) was way out of line and did not make the right choices. She asked me to make a referral for follow up with the principal.

I also had problems with the computer showing a film for another class - it kept stopping every 30 seconds.

So I had a pretty turbulent day, but at least I feel better than I did after my first day, that I did nothing wrong from a procedural standpoint, and it seems that the students "offed" themselves when they lose their minds and do foolish things.

24. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 16, 2009

Today was a piece of cake! I subbed for another SLP as usual. There was some kind of writing assessment the kids were doing in their other classes, so I worked w/ a total of only 14 kids (not at the same time).

Glad you're enjoying the thread & thanks! :)

Yes, it sure would! :)

I missed that particular job, but I got a couple other regular gigs. I got work every Mon since Sept & starting right before our Thanksgiving vacation, I'll be subbing the rest of the yr till May a total of 4 days a wk! :)

Glad to hear it guys! :thumb:

I'm glad you feel better after the last time. :)

25. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Oct 16, 2009

I'm glad you had a good and easy day. They more than make up for the bad days.

26. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Oct 16, 2009

Well, I am starting to get pickier as now I am getting quite a bit of work (at least 3x week), and I have to start telling myself if it's worth the headache. I am working the teachers I've subbed for in the past to request me so that I can get steady work.

Needless to say, after my rough experience at the continuation school, I'm glad I went through it for the learning experience - one grows from it. I don't think I'll take another job there though.

27. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Oct 16, 2009

28. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2009

I'm sorry you're day didn't go so well, JackTrader.

I'm trying to be less picky about taking sub jobs, but it's hard when you don't know what assignments you could end up getting if you don't take the first one. I could sub just about every day if I took everything, but I'm more than happy just subbing two or three days a week since I work a part-time job in addition to subbing.

29. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 16, 2009

JackTrader well take a deep breath because the weekend is here and your assignment has ended. Yes, as difficult as it was at least you learned a lot of valuable things from it.

JackTrader did the schools you subbed in this week have an earthquake drill? Yesterday, the school I subbed in as an IA had an earthquake drill. We just went outside to the benches next to the playground and had the kids draw or read. I wonder why we did not practice duck and cover in addition to this.

Isn't duck and cover more important because of its immediacy? I think all kids should know how to do this.:confused:

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 16, 2009

Subbing definitely gives you experiences & lets you know what you like & don't like that's for sure. When I 1st started subbing, I did general ed grades, PE, kinder, even pre-school.

I think 3rd grade's the best of all the regular ed grades. They've been in school a few yrs to know what schools' about, but they aren't quite smart assy yet, like I've seen w/ 4th & up.

I used to not mind kinder, but every time I stepped out of the room, I felt like I had to sterilize myself down.

I used to kinda like PE, but I got tired of it fast.

That's good.

31. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 18, 2009

I love subbing as an IA for those special day classes. I think the kids are appreciative, fun to be around, and they are willing to learn what you are teaching them.

32. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2009

33. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 19, 2009

I cannot agree with you more Special-T!

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 19, 2009

Special-t, somehow when you quoted a previous poster, an error was made. :)

That was JackTrader, post #67 on page 7 of this thread who said that he subbed for an SDC class earlier in the week.

I knew it wasn't ME. I haven't subbed for an SDC class in ages! :D

35. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Oct 20, 2009

Yes, we had an earthquake drill this week. It was easy for me because the class I had only had 7 students in it at the time we had the drill.

Thanks for your warm words of encouragement - I know that it will help me (it was a real test for me to not lash out at the student and let her rant and rave, since I knew that it was would be a waste of time to try to reason with her).

36. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Oct 20, 2009

Yeah, I hear you. Due to my current coursework I too am hard-pressed to take on more than 3 days a week.

37. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 20, 2009

I miss teaching so much! I can't wait to get back into the rhythm of teaching. :(

I spent the whole day in bed. :yawn:

38. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 20, 2009

I subbed only for a half day today, but wow it felt like I was there all day. :yawn: This was a SDC class (I do not know the grade level of the students but I think 3rd grade. Neither the teacher nor the aides told me.) and as soon as I stepped in, the five aides were already working 1-on-1 with the students. I was waiting for someone to greet me and provide me instructions as to my responsibilities.

I waited a few minutes, until one of the aides asked for my name and who I was subbing for. I told him, and it seemed he did not know what to do next. He told one of the other aides about me, and she then told me what to do.

The teacher was not that much better either. At times she would talk to me and I wouldn't know she was speaking to me, because she did not call me by name. I got the impression that she did not care who I am (even though she DID ask for my name). Or I was not that worthy of her attention.

So as the day went I felt that I was not treated in a warm or appreciative manner. It seemed they did not see me as their equal, just a warm body to fill in the absence of one of the aides. I was sometimes spoken to in a cold or almost gruff manner. This made me reflect on the other schools that I subbed in, where I was treated in a friendly and respectful manner.

At the end of my assignment, two of the aides were asking me what time do I leave and I told them. They then said ok it's time for you to go. What? I did not mind staying and helping out some more with the students. It was like they could not wait for me to leave! Did me helping them not mean anything to them? Nobody even thanked me!:huh:

I decided that I will not sub at this school anymore. If they need me, well I won't answer. I think the students were actually more behaved than the adults!:p

Thank you for reading this.

<end of my rant>

39. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2009

I'm sorry you were treated that way, myownwoman.

40. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Oct 20, 2009

Thank you Jessica26.

I am just glad that there are schools I subbed in who truly appreciate me. That's why I work hard for them because they respect me for what I do and who I am.