How Was Your Day Today?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Aug 11, 2009.

1. luv2teachmusic

luv2teachmusic Rookie

Jan 13, 2010

My LTS job is ending in February, so steady work until then. We had 3 weeks off so a bit hard to get back into the swing of all of it, but its been good.

2. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 14, 2010

I subbed for a music teacher today. Her last name is Nightingale!

3. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Jan 14, 2010

I subbed for a lovely kindergarten class today, and my assignment was extended through Tuesday. Initially I was scheduled to be in an upper grade tomorrow at the same school but they switched me to kindergarten to keep consistency in the classroom.

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 15, 2010

Keep up the good work guys! :thumb:

Yay, another Friday's upon us already! My BF's going to be hanging out w/ his bro all day tomorrow, so tomorrow after work's a good time for me to do a few things! I may even go to the gym too.

Everyone have a nice day tomorrow as well as a good 3-day weekend! :)

5. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Jan 16, 2010

I had a 2nd grade class a couple of days ago. One particular young boy was really clingy to me, wanted my attention a lot. The regular teacher told me that one had to push him a bit to be on task with tasks. The boy was really sweet and very friendly to me. And yes, I had to push him a bit to keep to the activities, but he complied though he kept asking me if he could do something else. At the end of the day, he did high fives and fist bumps with me while I waited for his mother to pick him up.

I later found out that this boy's family situation was a bit complicated - his father wasn't around a lot (due to brushes with the law). Given that I am a guy, it is possible that he craved attention and interaction from an adult male authority figure. No wonder he really turned on to me.

That was a real touching moment for me, something I'll remember for a long time.

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 16, 2010

I SO wanted my LTS position to go until Feb, but it ended before the school break. January is a tough month because we only have 3 weeks to get in as many days as possible.

Luckily, I had 3 jobs last week, and they were all wonderful experiences because, in each case, the students really loved and respected their teachers. And, in each case, the students were disappointed that their teachers were absent. When does that happen? Usually, students are glad to have a sub so they can goof off. It was a reminder of how important it is to build relationships with our students.

Oh, and, another really cool thing happened. Yesterday, I was at a HS where I did a LTS for 8 weeks. One of my students shouted out my name, ran up and gave me 2 HUGE bear-hugs. Gosh, it felt so good! It's really important to me that my students have positive experiences in school, and I feel like I'm accomplishing that goal.

7. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jan 17, 2010

I didn't think that I would be working much last week, but I worked all five days! Three of those days, I was a specials teacher - music, PE, and library.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 17, 2010

One of the LT assignments I'm on ends March 19th & then the following wk is the week off for Easter. Oh well, it would have just been 3 more days of work if the Easter vacation was after my assignment ends, so no biggie I guess. :)

I think I'll get the SLP I've been subbing for for the last 2 straight yrs a thank-you gift at the end of the yr to show my appreciation to her for giving me constant work...even if it was only 1 or 2 days a wk! She also allowed me to write up my own letter of recommendation & she signed it. How many people do you know will let you do that! :D

9. luv2teachmusic

luv2teachmusic Rookie

Jan 18, 2010

That's great! I think its a nice thing of you to do.

The other teachers on the music team are offering me letters of reccomendation and are helping me out with possible future job opportunities. I really think it pays to do the best you can while subbing, you never know what it will lead to!

10. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 19, 2010

I am wondering why the calls suddenly stopped. I emailed the district office's contact person asking why, and so far I have not heard anything.

I am thinking of signing up with more districts.

11. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2010

Do you mean no calls this month? I've had a few jobs with my regular school, but other than that, it's been slow. Perhaps everyone is healthy and rested after the winter break. And, yesterday being a holiday, people want to report to work today if at all possible. So, January might just be a slow month.

12. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 19, 2010

Special-t, I did receive a reply from the DO and the substitute teacher coordinator said that it's because of the holiday. I should have known! She said that today is a slow day, well of course.

13. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2010

I'm glad they contacted you. It's scary when the phone stops ringing!

14. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Jan 19, 2010

I know it is! I was being paranoid, though I am glad I asked her. Next time, I will be more mindful.:dizzy: :)

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 19, 2010

luv2teachmusic, thanks & you're so right!

myownwoman, I hope you get a lot of jobs very soon!