How Was Your Day Today?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Aug 11, 2009.

1. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

May 8, 2010

My day was actually pretty good even though there was no Sub for the other 6th grade class. I had both classes. It was exhausting.

2. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 10, 2010

I am subbing for a middle school special ed teacher today. I sub for her every so often, so I know her routine and the kids. It's always an easy day for me - and I get out early because her last period is a planning period. :)

Tomorrow I will sub for a high school art teacher. Again, I have subbed for her in the past. She always has the students working on their projects and I just supervise. Should be another good day.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 10, 2010

GlendaLL, that's great that we have easy days at times! Today was pretty easy for me too. But unfortunately, today's the day I had to very loudly & sternly talk to a student morseo than I think I ever have before. He's this 4th grader I work with. He was singing, being extremely silly & not listening to a word I said. As much as I hated to do it, I had to really give it to him this time.

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 11, 2010

So I didn't get called to sub today (its ok I already have wed and friday down for this week) so I took that time to wash some clothes, download music to my new mp3 player I just bought myself(could not pass up the deal 19.99) went to the gym and then to work 2nd job which I was called in for, but the night went by suprisingly fast and then I found out that a fav manager from that job who used to work with us but moved to another store is comming for a visit and I am so excited!! I wished she would come back as our store mananger (in my dreams)!! It was a good day now gearing up for 1st graders the same class tomorrow,fri and monday!!

5. Toak

Toak Cohort

May 12, 2010

Not good. First they come in and tell me I have no prep because they need me to cover for another teacher (healthwise I really need the prep to sit down). Then they cut my lunch in half so that I could get homework materials together for a boy in my homeroom, which was kind of difficult as I had to get them from teachers who were also on lunch or duty at the time. Added to that, neither teacher left an answer key for any of their materials - its fun coming up with the main idea of a 20 page chapter you've never read within seconds.
    On the other hand the kids were great.

6. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

May 14, 2010

Subbed for a middle school spec ed teacher teaching resource/basic skills stuff - reading, math, social studies and life science. 7th graders mostly. I had a tough, tough day. They were rude/nasty, constantly shouted out insults/putdowns to each other, wouldn't stay on task. Issued one referral to a defiant student, filed 3 "citations" for behavior that gets the student for a lunch detention the next day. I think I could have issued more...

They were tough customers even for middle school students - the school office commented on that. The school is very new (4-5 years old) but in an established school district in a nice middle class area (new development) so demographically and organizationally that shouldn't be a factor, though this particular class may not be that representative of the area.

I was really struck that these kids didn't seem to have a lot of respect (for themselves and others) - do they feel stigma or insecure about themselves?

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 14, 2010

Yesterday was easy. It was the last day of speech for the kids I've been working w/, so the SLP had a party for them & I helped. She brought popcorn, juice, Twinkies, cupcakes, & ding dongs. Then, she let them pcik a prize from the prize box according to the # of points they had. Not one of them said thank you at all. :(

8. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 14, 2010

Jack - Sorry to hear about your rough day! Those are no fun! I hope you can unwind over the weekend.

I am subbing for a middle school special ed teacher. All of her classes are inclusion, so I don't have to deal with them on my own. Also, I supervised a lunch detention group and I have a study hall next period. Unlike Jack, I'm having a really easy day!

9. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

May 14, 2010

I subbed in a 4th grade class today that participated in Business Day. I'm not sure if I'll be subbing on Mon. since I'm only available for a PM half-day.

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

May 17, 2010

P.E. today! My hair is in a ponytail and I'm wearing capris and a t-shirt! Fun day! :)

11. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 17, 2010

Wow...this is the second Monday in a row that I don't have a place to go. I always get Mondays. I spent most of the day and evening with Subfinder open last night, refreshing, but nothing.

I'm a little under-the-weather, so I can't say I'm overly disappointed about having the day off, but I'm beginning to worry about getting enough days in. Only 5.5 weeks of school left, and none of my attempts to find summer work have panned out.

12. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

May 17, 2010

Today I am working for the same first grade class I had friday and last wed. I sub for this teacher often and only got on to 2 students enough to report them. Its been a good day in 1st grade!! Ready for my full week of subbing!! Everyday but tomorrow I made plans with a friend! :)

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

May 17, 2010

I had an excellent day! I made a two-hour drive at 6:00am so I could observe one of our members conducting WBT lessons in person. It was very entertaining AND informative to watch the interaction between the teacher and students and I LOVED the different animations used by the teacher when presenting the material or using the WBT techniques.

Thank you, PowerTeacher, for graciously allowing me to visit your classroom today!

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 17, 2010

May 25th is the last school day at my dist. My last day of work was probably be LAST Thurs. I'm free for the summer! Tomorrow, I'm going to the USS Midway Aircraft & San Diego Carrier Museum and Seaport Village. I love strolling around Seaport Village. It's a little area of unique shops right next to the water.

I started my 2 online courses today.

15. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

May 17, 2010

I had a pretty good day subbing for some 5th graders. A bit on the chatty side, but they were motivated to do their work and wanted to finish as much as possible. Heck, they ran ahead of schedule!

16. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

May 17, 2010

I definitely lucked out today. Got a call around 10am for a half day assignment for a resource room. When I got there, the aide told me that I wouldn't have another class for an hour and a half and logged into the teacher's computer so I could surf the net.

Eventually a group of about 6 5th grade boys came in, and we worked on homorgraphs. While we were working they all asked me questions. They were shocked that I sometimes watch South Park, and like to play Rock Band. I'm pretty sure their minds were blown. :lol: I'm guessing that the aide really liked me since I just got a call to sub for the same teacher on Friday.