How Was Your Day Today?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Aug 11, 2009.

1. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 24, 2010

I am subbing for a high school special ed teacher. It looks like a pretty easy day. The kids at this school are generally very well behaved and respectful! :)

2. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 24, 2010

I've booked some fun day trips for my relatives and/or I (mostly me) this spring: :)

- Pet Expo in Orange county

- Chinese Acrobats in my city

- Petersen Auto Museum in Beverly Hills

- Carlsbad Village Street Faire

- Contestants on the Price is Right Game Show

- Air Show in a neighboring city

3. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Mar 24, 2010

Had a pretty good day - subbed for special ed - computer skills, basic history, and science. Best thing from a sub standpoint was the aide - she knew the kids and could direct how to deal with them. Plus the low staff-student ratio was very good.

One class was considered challenging in the teachers' instructions, but considering the different assignments I've had, they weren't that difficult.

4. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 25, 2010

Well.....our son is home from college on spring break. He took my husband to the hospital yesterday for a test that they needed to run. (My husband had surgery on 3/10 and was feeling worse and worse.)

When I called, my son told me that they did not run the test - they took my husband right to SURGERY! It turned out that he had a small hole in his intestine that was leaking. So, they had to repair that.

I quickly called the school secretary when I found out about the surgery. She was able to get a morning sub to stay for the whole day, covering for me in the afternoon!

What a day!

My son is with my husband right now. I took a sub job for today because I knew she had an easy day - and her last period is her planning period. I'll be out of here at 1:30 and will go right to the hospital to visit.

ETA - This is kind of silly. The 5th period teacher didn't need my help (subbing for inclusion) and neither did the 6th period teacher. Seventh period was my lunch break. Now - a high school teacher is administering a math placement test to these middle school students. And 9th period is a planning period. Sixteen more minutes and I'm done for the day!

5. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Mar 25, 2010

GlendaLL,

My heart and prayers are for you and your husband's recovery! Stay strong!

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 25, 2010

Glenda, continued prayers for your husband.

7. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Mar 25, 2010

I will be thinking of your husband too. May he recover quickly so he can be healthy. Best wishes!

8. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Mar 25, 2010

Hoping for a speedy recovery for your husband, Glenda.

9. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Mar 25, 2010

Well, even though the teacher indicated her class was difficult I had a good day. I kept this kids under control and they had a good time with their extra library activities today. They day flew by since we had so many out of the ordinary things to do today. Tomorrow, I'm in a class that is difficult... but it's Friday so all is good. Then, I was asked to sub on Tue. and Wed. by two different teachers.

10. ms.

ms. Comrade

Mar 25, 2010

Today was wonderful. I just found out from a teacher at one of the schools I sub at that the principal has been very impressed with my teaching/work ethic. :)

11. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Mar 25, 2010

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE GOOD WISHES!! I really appreciate it!

My husband was pretty grumpy when I went to see him this afternoon. I think he is tired of being sick, plus he is just plain hungry. But, they won't let him have any food yet. They put in a PICC line, so I guess they will be feeding him through that soon.

I'm so glad that our son is home this week for spring break. He has been a big help to both of us!

Thanks again for your support! :love:

12. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Mar 27, 2010

I subbed two days in a tow this week. It was very tiring!

Thursday, I subbed for a kindergarten class that I was with a few weeks ago. The teacher called me personally and said that her kids kept asking when I was going to come back. When I picked them up from the cafeteria, they were so excited to see me. Lots of hugs throughout the day, and lots of giggles. That day was so, so fun. I love those kids!

Friday, I subbed for a third grade class. This was the most challenging job I've had so far. Most of the kids were rowdy, and everyone wanted to talk to their friends. I tried every trick in my book to get them to work, and it didn't matter. Two boys tried to "run away" during lunch, but they were caught by another teacher. All three of the other third grade teachers, came in and intervened for me. I really felt like a failure as a sub. When I left that day, I saw the other teachers chatting in the room across the hall. They reassured me that they are like that for every sub they have. I was relieved when they told me that this class was one of the most difficult ones that year. They said that it wasn't me, it was the kids.

This week wore me out! Ready for next week though! Bring it on!

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 30, 2010

Small Vent

I've been subbing for this one SLP once (sometimes twice) a wk all school year & last. She's on the messy side. She puts the student folders that we use all the time in the WORST possible place: At the doorway where people come in/out in the most bottom drawer where you have to get on your knees to get the folders out. Then the folders are collapsing against each other because the file folder holders are all ripped.

I would have it so much better & more convenient, but she's either too d@mn dumb or lazy or both to make a change. Part of me wants to make a friendly suggestion about what she should do, but then I'm only there once a wk. What do I care?

14. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Mar 30, 2010

How is it, Ms I, that this SLP is out once every week. Is it a medical issue? Lucky you that you get such consistent work in that position.

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 30, 2010

teacher304, actually, she works all 5 days a wk at 2-3 different schools, but Mondays are the only days she really needs a sub...also the only day she's approved for a sub by the district. Most of the time, she's there that day too doing paperwork, mtgs, assessments, coming & going, ec. :)

16. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Apr 12, 2010

It's the first day back after Spring Break.

I'm subbing for a World History teacher. The kids at this school are wonderful, so now big behavior problems. Mostly, I'm just babysitting while they work on their assignment.

17. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Apr 12, 2010

GlendaLL,
    This is fabulous! I hope kids go on behaving this way. Working is easier and we as teachers do enjoy our job then.

18. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 14, 2010

Well... there were no lessons plans left for me, but there was some work for most of the day so we made it work.

19. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 14, 2010

Good guys, keep up the good work! :thumb: My district's last day of school is May 25th...5 1/2 wks left!

20. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Apr 14, 2010

My day was easy enough, I was covering for a high school teacher in the school where I just finished a three month long term assignment. I proctored two state tests and had videos for two other classes.

However, I had a class from H-E-L-L! They chattered constantly, laughed when I told them I had higher expectations for them, texted constantly and blatantly disrespectful to each other and to me. Did I mention that this was an A.P. World History course? Usually AP kids are a piece of cake, but these kids were awful.

I did write in my note to the absent teacher about their behavior, even including the information that this was the worst class I've subbed for in two years! Is it summer yet?

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 16, 2010

It's Fri morning, got a last minute call by SubFinder at 8am to work today starting at 8am, but I just hung up right away...didn't feel like it this time. I went on the computer to SubFinder WebConnect to see what kind of job it was. It was RSP at an all special ed school.

Normally I'd do it. Maybe if they had called me last night, I'd do it. I HATE getting called at the last second.

22. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Apr 16, 2010

This is the last day of spring break and as funny as it may sound, I cannot wait till the kids get back next week.

23. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 16, 2010

I ended up at a school in my 2nd district that I had never been to before. The students were having business day and it was crazy but fun. The staff was friendly and the principal stopped to bid me farewell even though she was conversing with a parent in front of the school as I left.

24. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 16, 2010

I was teaching four children (all very low special education - all had been in life skills at one point). Well when the one boy refused to do his work for me, the other three came up and gave me a hug. Pretty cute.

But it was also frustrating, because two of them would work fine when I was alone with them, but would throw a temper tantrum the moment another adult came into the room. And the room was shared with an aide who came there on her down time.

25. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Apr 19, 2010

Didn't work today which was okay since it was raining fairly heavily.

Just had a private school principal call and book me for tomorrow to teach yr5. He said they were desperate for someone (just found out my friend turned it down before he called me), I normally only teach the younger ones but said I would take it. Already regretting it though :( I taught them as yr4s last year and really did not enjoy it. Just wished I had said no but guess it's too late to call back and change my mind. Feeling a little anxious just thinking about i.

26. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 19, 2010

So I'm at the same school on Mons that I have been every Mon for pretty much all of this school year & ast school yr. I have 4 or 5 more Mondays of subbing there until school's out for the summer. The kids seemed a little better behaved today. :)

Good luck w/ it Miss Snix.

27. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 19, 2010

I had a great day in kindergarten today. I'll be back in this class next month and I'm looking forward to it. :)

28. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Apr 20, 2010

So glad the day it over lol I had a student teacher with me so I made him teach for most the day...until he flipped out at the children over minor chatting ekk. They were not the best class but I've had worse. A few of them remembered me from last year, not that it helped.
    And the student teacher was so weird and serious and not chatty but I found out he is doing a grad-dip in Ed. so only studies for one year and does one ten week prac and that's it, then he's a teacher! And to do his one and only prac in a private school (and he lost his temper at something not so big), I wish him well teaching in state schools!
    Overall the day wasn't too bad :)

29. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 21, 2010

Another great day in a different kindergarten class. :)

30. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2010

That's great, sunshine!

31. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 22, 2010

Subbed for a 5th grade class - picked it up from the regular teacher who had to leave in the late morning. They were pretty well behaved at the beginning, but after lunch, they started to get unraveled and restless, and really chatty. Transitions were also really hard, and the last activity was seeing a movie about the ocean (for Earth Day) - man, were they chatty and all over the place!

Well, at least the kids were pretty enjoyable, one of them actually apologized for the chattiness of the class, and he even drew a picture to give to me! How about that.

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 23, 2010

I stayed up all night yesterday being the night owl that I am & didn't go to bed until 5am THIS morning. I was called at 6am to sub today, so I hung up on the subcalling system.

Don't know why I've been getting called at the last min lately on Fridays. :(

33. teacher304

teacher304 Companion

Apr 23, 2010

Lucky you, I couldn't afford to hang up on the system!

34. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Apr 23, 2010

I was in a 3rd grade class yesterday and today. They were a pretty good class and I wouldn't mind going back, but these teachers cannot request. This teacher did request me last year, though, and also had his wife request me. I'm not sure what next week holds yet.

35. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Apr 24, 2010

Yesterday, I was really jazzed - I've spent more that half of my sub days in the same classroom and am just starting to make contacts in other areas. The VP made a big deal that I had been requested. As the asst. came into the classroom, she said, "Oh, you're not same first name ______." Oops! :eek: Apparently, I guess the teacher had requested a different sub, with the same first name.

Anyway, by the end of the day, the assistant was totally on board, and said she would pass on that I was a keeper, too. Phew!

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 28, 2010

Today's going great! I have a free day & my retired parents (who l live w/) went on a day trip. I've gone to the gym, bought a watch & fitness top, & ate In 'n Out cheeseburgers & french fries for lunch/dinner. :D

Next wk will be busy:

M, TH, F - subbing
    T - Will be in the Price is Right game show audience!
    W - Having my dog neutered

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 7, 2010

Supposed to have a kinder job today, but was given a cancellation call yesterday early evening. I could have used the money, but oh well!

38. jen12

jen12 Devotee

May 7, 2010

Had a half-day job 5th grade that turned out to be about an hour and a half teaching, a half hour of that which was library time.

After library time, the kids had silent reading. The teacher said to let some of them sit on the grass outside the room. I checked on them and found a group talking and playing. I told them they should have been reading. One kid was playing with a pen. I told him to put it away. He reached behind his back to put it down and then snapped back at me that it was gone. I told him to pick up his book and start reading or I would find something for him to do. I stood there for a while watching him, then went to check on the kids inside the room.

While in there, pen-kid came running in with marks on his hand complaining that the other kids took away his pen and stabbed him with it. (No evidence of injury). He demanded I go out and talk to them. I told him that if he'd put the pen away when I asked him to, it wouldn't have been a problem. He repeated his demand that I talk to the other kids. I told him I wasn't going to do that. He said "We'll you're really not good for anything, then, are you?"....Yeah...love the attention seekers....another kid who heard him say that to me made sure to tell me not to worry about it, and that that boy talks to everyone like that.

Why does it seem like there's one in every classroom?

39. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

May 7, 2010

Don't want to go into too many details, but had to ask the VP to come and get a child from the classroom today. I wasn't sure if I over reacted to a situation, but it truly was an issue of safety. They were a chatty group, but the last hour I spent a lot of time trying to get the class settled after the VP's visit.
    Days like today make other days seem great!

40. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

May 7, 2010

Had a good day in first grade. At one point during the day I only had 4 students.