How Was Your Day Today?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms. I, Aug 11, 2009.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2009

This is pretty much random talk for us subs! Have fun & have a great 2009-10 year! :D

So this is day 2 of school starting at my district. I assume I won't start working for a little while because subs aren't usually needed this soon at the start of the year.

How soon do the rest of you subs usually start working when the year starts?

3. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

Hey there.

I will be working during the first 2 days of the new school year. That's because I am requested by some teachers I worked with last year.

I am excited to start working!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 11, 2009

myownwoman, that's great!

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Aug 11, 2009

I think I will be living life as a substitute teacher this year through all of you! This semester I am in my educational block and at school all day every day. So that does not leave any room for subbing. That is really disappointing, but I am excited to be in the educational block finally and hopefully moving closer to getting my own kindergarten classroom! However, I will put my name on the list for vacations and any days off I know about! Good luck and I hope you all have wonderful experiences and enjoy them- also post everything! Best wishes! I miss it and boy will I be missing it as the year progresses!

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 11, 2009

I printed out some blank calendars and went to the schools' websites to get important dates recorded on my calendars.

I was just messing around today and checked Aesop. There was a kindergarten job posted for September 4th, so I grabbed it! That school district starts on August 20th and my other district starts a week later, August 27th.

7. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2009

The district I signed with started this past Monday the 10th! I had a job lined up but I need to get sealed copies of my transcripts for my bachelor's degree, so that will take a week or so. I'm not ready to go back to work yet anyway! :D

8. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Aug 14, 2009

I will be volunteering in teacher's classrooms as well as subbing so I will be pretty busy.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 15, 2009

Good guys! :thumb:

Well, my district started on the 10th, but I'll (hopefully) start subbing long-term all year on the 24th. I hope I get one weekday off a week, that would be nice! :)

My online college classes start the 24th too!

Have a great 2009-2010 school year everyone!

10. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Aug 16, 2009

Wow.. your district starts early. My friend's daughter started on the 10th as well. She attends school in Etiwanda School District I beleive. The districts I sub in don't start until Aug. 31st.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 16, 2009

OMG, small world! I live very close to Etiwanda! If you live in that area too, you & I may even work for the same district.

12. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Aug 17, 2009

I'm in SoCal, but I don't live in San Bernardino county. My friend lives in Fontana, but her daughter is on an interdistrict transfer.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 21, 2009

:mad: This is a little vent! So I'm free ALL summer, meaning I need all the money I can get when school's back in session, yet when school's back in & I finally have someone who wants me to sub for them ALL next week, I find out I can't because I have to update my TB test! WHY DIDN'T THEY TELL ME ABOUT THIS LONG AGO WHEN I HAD ALL SUMMER TO TAKE CARE OF IT?!
    Now, I had to scramble & went to a health clinic today in which I go back Mon to get the TB verification, but now I may miss out on working the whole week because the speech pathologist who wants me to sub wants to be secure in knowing that she'll have a sub for the whole week.

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 25, 2009

Well, I got my first subbing job again since June 10th. I don't like getting called the night before. I wish I had a day to get ready...I wanted to do my hair differently.

15. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 26, 2009

Two of my school districts started last week.
    So far, I have worked last Friday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday (today).

I'm off to a good start!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 28, 2009

Ahhh, another Friday! I'm free today, I didn't feel like working anyway!

Everyone have a good weekend! :D

17. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Sep 4, 2009

I am so tired from subbing in a special day class today in an elementary school. The kids are great but I am glad the 3 Day Weekend is finally here! :D

18. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 4, 2009

Here is my "Ewww Story" of the day. I was subbing in a kindergarten classroom today. After lunch, I sent the students to the restroom - one table at a time. One little guy never came back. I sent another little boy to get him. He went to the restroom and saw him playing around, but did not bring him back to the classroom.

Then it was time to take the class to the gym. (The one little boy STILL was not back.) I took the class to gym and finally got that kid out of the restroom and rushed him off to gym.

Later, at recess, I talked to the boy about what he had been doing in the restroom for so long. Eventually, he told me the story. He was making balls of toilet paper and getting them wet. Then he was throwing the balls around the restroom.

The "ewww" part - he was getting the toilet paper wet by using the WATER IN THE TOILET!!! EWWWW!!! :eek:

19. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Sep 5, 2009

:eek:

20. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2009

Embarrassing moment: I subbed middle school yesterday. One 6th grade class was really restless so toward the end of the period I had them in a circle playing a game. To get the kids back in their seats I thought I'd call off their table numbers (forgetting this is an elementary school gimmick to signify dismissal). So ... when I called of "table one" they thought I meant that table number was dismissed. The "table one" kids grabbed their backpacks and stampeded out of the classroom ... I ran out and herded them back in ... just as the assistant principal was stopping by to say hello and welcome me to the school. She was very kind, but it the class was in utter mayhem when she arrived. Luckily, the kids recognized her and settled down immediately.

Frankly, I don't mind if I'm not asked back. The school runs on block scheduling which I find to be very challenging with middle school kids.

21. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 18, 2009

Looks like I'll have regular sub work in the area of speech, Mondays till Christmas at least. :D

22. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2009

Exhausted after 4 days in a HS special day class. Amazingly wonderful kids who needed high levels of support to get through the material - so I didn't get to sit down all week. We were doing state exam prep. I truly hope I was effective because many of them are really wanting to pass the state exam so they can get their diploma instead of a certificate.

23. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2009

I love knowing what I'm doing on Mondays. That would be a dream come true. I'm so much more relaxed over the weekend when I don't have to wonder what my day will be like.

24. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 19, 2009

Yesterday there was a PD session in the morning for all K teachers, and in the afternoon for all grade two teachers... so I was teaching Kindergarten in the morning, which was lovely... very busy, but it's kindergarten... in the afternoon I was actually with grade four, because the grade four teaches Social Studies to the grade twos while her class is being taught french.

Come to find out that we have buddy readers for the first time of the year. Not only that, but the grade one class we were matched with also had a sub! Luckily, there was a TA in grade one that was highly organized. Of course, that's not the only thing that was thrown off... we also had the first fire drill of the year! The grade fours were great with the grade ones in my room though. I think it went quite well... they were able to accompany them out to where they were supposed to go.

25. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 20, 2009

Yes, it's so much better knowing a day or two ahead of time than the night before!

26. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Sep 21, 2009

Exactly!

27. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 21, 2009

So, today was my first day subbing for this one SLP since this past June. I subbed 1-2 days a week for her ALL last school year. It was nice to see how some students have changed! Also, glad to see a few students gone! ;)

28. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 21, 2009

I subbed for a kindergarten teacher at one of "tougher" schools.

My sister (an office worker at a vacation club business) thinks it is hilarious when I tell her that working in a kindergarten classroom is "like herding cats"! :lol: And - that is exactly what it was like today!

29. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2009

So true. I was left instructions by a K teacher to take the kids out to the playground and run them around the yard for 1/2 hour. THAT was like herding cats. Just when I'd get them all back together, a few would think it was great fun to go running off again ... then the challenge was to keep the other kids in place while I chased after the runaways ... etc etc etc ...

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 22, 2009

myownwoman, how did that day go w/ the field trip?

31. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Sep 22, 2009

Ms. I, well I actually did not take that assignment. Something came up so I had to cancel it. I hope the sub (and the class) had a fun time.

Though I hope to go on a field trip on my next assignment!

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 23, 2009

myownwoman, that may have ended up being a blessing in disguise that you didn't end up doing that assignment. Things happen for a reason. I'm sure you'll have chances again to sub on a field trip day!

33. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Sep 23, 2009

That is true and I hope that a field trip assignment pops up soon. Thanks!

34. greenbean6

greenbean6 Companion

Sep 23, 2009

I'm on my first day of a three day assignment. The teacher is regularly out of the classroom as she is helping with admin duties elsewhere in the school. Consequently I'm left with a class that is used to torturing subs. Not so fun, although I've definitely had worse classes. Friday afternoon can't come soon enough!

35. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Sep 28, 2009

I am pleasantly tired from subbing for a 3rd grade class today. Even though the students were disruptive (sometimes) I am glad we got through almost all of the assignments in the teacher's lesson plan.

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 28, 2009

Well, today's (Mon.) the only day of the week I sub these days (unless I'm called for other days) & I'm glad to say it went a lot faster than last Mon! :)

37. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 28, 2009

I subbed for a middle school special ed teacher today. Everything went very well!

Tomorrow I am subbing for a first grade teacher that is sick with the flu. (LOTS of that going around!) I've been in her classroom before, so I am thinking it will be a good day!

38. lindydish

lindydish Rookie

Sep 29, 2009

I subbed for a middle school L/A teacher yesterday and am waiting to be called today. (hopefully) I do have a question.

What do you all do when you have an extremely adhd child in the room? There was one boy who just could not sit still yesterday. I've taught there before and usually he and I figure out some way of working together and keeping him focused, but today he was all over the place. Even sending him to the hall to do a quick 25 jumping jacks did nothing to help him sit still for 5 min. I eventually sent him to the office, not as a punishment but in the hopes that a change of scenery with less people around would help. He does have an IEP which is about a foot and a half long...but I feel bad that I couldn't come up with a way for us to work together today. This is a good kid who seems to get punished a lot for his excess energy and I don't want to feed into that.

Thoughts?

39. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Sep 30, 2009

I have a similar situation too lindydish! I am educating myself by reading books and as much literature as I can. Though the more effective way to gain knowledge is to talk to teachers themselves. Learn from them and ask them what you should do.

Best wishes!

40. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Sep 30, 2009

This is my second day subbing for a first grade teacher who is sick with the flu/sinus infection.

The kids have been pretty good for me. I just keep having to repeat - "The bathrooom is NOT a playground! You don't run, jump, or climb around in there!!" :dizzy:

41. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 30, 2009

I was called at 8:30 to be at school at 8:30. The teacher must have felt sick, which turned out to be true. So I got paid a full day to work about 4.5 hrs! :D

Good for you! I wish I had time to do that.