How useful was your summer PD?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jul 31, 2013

If you did one.

I'm just finishing up mine and I'm glad to be going back home. I pretty much worked on building a laser for a research group. While I was there I learned how to machine parts, a lot about optics and electromagnetism and science in a laboratory. It was a pretty good content PD but it will be difficult to bring back laser science to the 8th grade classroom. I did get a grant for classroom materials that I'm using to buy optics lab kits which will match great for the NGSS and I made a Ruben's tube as a machine shop project that I can use to teach more about compression waves. It's also further inspired me to get my MS in physics.

When I get back we have a PD meeting about behavior interventions that I signed up for and I'm hoping that will be useful.

How was your summer PD. Did you learn anything from it? Do you think it's useful for the classroom?

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2013

I didn't take anything...however when we get back we have FOUR full days of Ipad training! I can't imagine what they feel they need to spend four days on for Ipads!

4. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 1, 2013

I went to materials science camp for teachers and came home with a bag of stuff I can use next year in lab (including instructions for new labs). I will go to the second camp next year if able.
    The best PD I did this was a POGIL regional workshop. Definitely using what I learned next year in class.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2013

I went to CCSS training. It was mostly helpful. I got a lot of answers my county hasn't been able to provide, I now have a firm handle on translating standards into "I can" statements and scales, and I learned an interesting new foldable for poetry.

I did not, however, need to learn the difference between formative and summative assessments, nor did I need to do sample lessons, which really just dissolved into Which English Teacher Is Smarter Than The Rest Of The Room.

But overall, I'm glad I went.

6. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Aug 1, 2013

I went to a reading/writing workshop that was pretty awesome. Lots of great ideas. And they didn't do any of the no-no's in that blog post that is circulating. No reading the powerpoint, only had to work with someone once. It was awesome.

I was supposed to go to another after I got back from babysitting my nieces/nephew but I was exhausted and did not go.

I'm going to another tomorrow. I like who's presenting so hopefully it will be good.

7. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 1, 2013

That camp sounds fun. What is POGIL?

8. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 1, 2013

Process Oriented Guided Inquiry Learning. Here is the link http://pogil.org/

This science camp was amazing. It was sponsored by ASM International. OH and this one was FREE!

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2013

I had a peer coaching workshop that was great. I'm also taking the Stanford University online math course and :love:Ing it.

10. Toy_03

Toy_03 Companion

Aug 1, 2013

I only went to one PD over the summer. It was about our new math curriculum called "GO MATH"

11. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

I went to an AP Bio Summer Institute (where I learned about POGIL) and came back with several textbooks, lab supplies, and a better grasp of the curriculum. It was definitely worth it.

12. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 1, 2013

I have one more 1/2 day tomorrow to finish up a 3 1/2 day Science PD. It has been fabulous. We got a brief introduction to the NGSS and walked through a very hands-on curriculum. I love participating in lessons before I have to teach them. Best: The partner is providing all the lab materials for the program!

13. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 1, 2013

I have been doing the online training for my district's new evaluation system. It has been much more time-intensive than I had imagined, but I feel like I will be more focused when observing classes. I passed the first part of the proficiency test today, and will be happy when I finish the second part! (I'm taking that one tomorrow, and hoping it goes well.)

14. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 1, 2013

I have been to a number of PDs this summer, most of which I found very worth my time. I just finished up a week of Kagan training today. Teachers report next Thursday, and we will have "PD" Thursday & Friday. It'll mostly be all about our challenges for the coming year, and how bad test scores were last year. Sigh.