How tough is statistics?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2009

So, what is the probability thatI will flunk my statistics class? :D

In order to get into the university for my second science degree, I just need to meet 3 more requirements (chem, physics, and MAYBE statistics). I'm meeting with the counselor in person who will help me figure out my plan. So, I may end up having to take statistics this semester at my local college. How tough is statistics? I never really took statistics. Just a little bit in high school. I heard that it is a really tough class and that freaked me out. I didn't think it would be THAT tough. :eek:hmy:

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 9, 2009

I had to take 3 statistic classes (in order) for my BA in Psychology and the 2nd and 3rd were hard even though I studied a lot. I say it depends because I think there are different kinds of statistic classes for different degrees. Best advice....find some people to study with!!! The formulas were hard to make sense of but I managed.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2009

I know someone on here that would stay stats is easy! ;) If you do have to take it, mmswm would be a great tutor.

5. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2009

I took one statistics class in college, at a community college. It was super easy; however, my sister, who is great with math (I am not) took a statistics class at the university level and she says it was a tough class. Most of the reason for that, though, was because the teacher did not explain things clearly, so she got dealt a pretty rotten teacher. With that all said, I think the content itself is pretty easy (hey, I'm an English gal and I aced the class), but it depends on who is instructing the course, and which level of statistics you are taking.

6. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Jan 9, 2009

Math was my hardest subject. But I found statistics interesting, formed a study group, and worked my butt off! Got a good grade too. If I can do it, anyone can!!

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jan 9, 2009

I took a statistics course my senior year in high school. I didn't have too much trouble with it, but I know people who struggled. I'm not sure how I would do now at the college level though.

8. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 9, 2009

Teachers make a big difference!!! I think we already know that though!

9. loveforquantum

loveforquantum Rookie

Jan 9, 2009

I also took AP stats during my senior year, and it was actually a breath of fresh air. There's really not much algebra involved. the only real math is basically all done on a calculator and the rest is more or less interpreting graphs and other such data. It does get progressively harder as you move onto college; but if you attend class and READ THE BOOK, its not as hard as it's reputation states.

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2009

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, I cannot find out anything about the instructor because it says staff in the class schedule book. I am still going back and forth about taking it now, or maybe next fall semester. With the budget cuts and tons of teachers being laid off, I may have a chance to go to school full time (subbing on the side). So, now I have to decide if I want to take it now or later. Hmmmmmm... I'm thinking, I will audit a pre-cal class that I took years ago just so I can refresh my memory and take stats next semester. THanks! (I LOVE LOVE LOVE science but math scares me just a bit)

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 9, 2009

If you need help on the Precalc, you know where to find me. (Statistics, not so much. I haven't seen college level statistics since the Carter administration.)

But I think mmswm teaches it.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2009

Well, it's very good to know that I can always come on here if I don't understand something. Thanks Alice! :)

13. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jan 9, 2009

Let's put it this way; On the last day of my statistics class (at a local jr. college - just like yours) I took my book out back to our fire ring and set it on fire.

Does that answer your question? :down:

I know that other folks on here say they struggled but they got through it, blah blah blah. Long story short - if math is not your thing - I'd steer clear of a stats class. I took that sucker when I was 38 years old and worked my butt off to try and understand it. I got A's in every other college course I took except stats - I got a D. Thank GAWD it was enough to get that extra math credit I needed. Looking back, I wish I'd taken Algebra II. Or trig. Or ADVANCED CALCULUS. :lol:

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2009

... :eek:

15. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2009

:eek: Sigh... well, I know that if I put my mind to it and stick to something, I usually fair quite well. I've taken some difficult classes and passed, sometimes with the top score. The lowest grade I've ever recieved in college was a C, which was in a math methods course at my university, but that was more due to the teacher who tested us on things that we never went over and did not make sense.

But, that's funny about setting the book on fire.

16. luvcrayons

luvcrayons Rookie

Jan 9, 2009

I never think I'm good at math. I usually end up with all A's when I take a math class. Statistics was no different it was a challenge, but I showed up everyday and stayed late because the teacher was willing to help after class. I ended up with an A. My point is just prepare to spend a little extra time and you'll do well. Taking it at a community college is the smartest way to go though.

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 9, 2009

Yes, I know. :D

18. ZoomZoomZOOM

ZoomZoomZOOM Devotee

Jan 10, 2009

Yeah but the ironic thing was - it didn't burn fast at ALL. I remember yelling, "BURN! Why won't you BURN? GO AWAY!!" My husband just stood there, shaking his head and saying, "We could have sold that back..." But I knew it was the last math class I would ever take and it was such a horrible experience for me. I needed closure! :lol:

If you're not that bad at math, then you will probably be just fine. I struggle with it, so stats was really difficult to wrap my pea brain around. ;)

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jan 10, 2009

That's so funny. :lol: