How to you have your kids practice Handwriting?!?!?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by newteacher08, Sep 9, 2009.

1. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Sep 9, 2009

Hello All,

I am doing a 1st/ 2nd grade split class and my 1st graders really need to work on their penmanship / handwriting.....actually my 2nd grades could use some practice too.....

How do you all have your kids practice.....I don't have a set of handwriting books like I have seen in other schools.....:(

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Sep 9, 2009

We use handwriting without tears....it's an okay program. Before that we used the D'Nealian style, and we just had a teacher resource book that we would have to copy to make handwriting practice.

Correct letter formation is hard to monitor all the time. HWT recommends introducing and practicing letters in small groups with a slate and chalk. It really works if you have the time to fit that into your day. A well-trained parent helper can do it, too.

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 9, 2009

I use Handwriting Without Tears for my handwriting program.

The Draw, Write Now books are great for practice.

There are a TON of free sheets on the internet too.

5. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Sep 9, 2009

I'm in a private school, in our curriculum the kids have a Penmanship book that they work on throughout the year.

6. Mrs N

Mrs N Rookie

Sep 13, 2009

We just printed worksheets off the web and had them bound at our district's copy center. We also have projectors in our room so we scanned the worksheets in so we can project them on the whiteboard to help the kids.

7. goobers51

goobers51 New Member

Sep 13, 2009

to Newteacher08

I am also doing a 1/2 split this year. The firsts handwriting needs work too. But my question to you...how are you doing with the split? Is it the first time you've done this? I am so overwhelmed having the two classes. What are you doing to make it work? Thanks for your help!

8. missamie

missamie Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

We print from readinga-z, our school uses manuscript. It requires a subscription but I've been using the website for 6 years in K and now in first and it's great. The other thing I use is I purchased "Fonts4teachers" and downloaded it on my school and home computers. I can actually customize and create my own handwriting practice because it has manuscript, d'nealian and cursive fonts with lines and arrows. There are 31 fonts to use, including sign language and math fonts. I love it and create some individualed name practice as well. Then if you look online there are also lots of free worksheets.
    My team teacher and I also created name cards for each child with a small alphabet, numbers, color words and their first and last name printed correctly.
    We do have a handwriting book but even without it you could concentrate on handwriting for two or three months. We plan on working straight through the book and finishing by November or so and then requiring them to use correct penmanship on as much as possible.
    The funniest thing - we introduced the vocabulary word "Legible" and now they all want all of their work to be "legible" and ask us if they did a good job writing "legibly". It's working so far. We require good penmanship in their phonics and reading workbooks.
    One other thing, as a school - our principal gave us permission to tell the parents that if they don't sit with their child to do handwriting practice with them, they they SHOULDN'T have their child practice handwriting at home as the research says that if they don't practice it correctly that they will reinforce bad habits. It is working, the handwriting homework is coming back very nice - I guess it kind of shames the parents into actually sitting with their kid. lol

9. NC1stGradeTeach

NC1stGradeTeach Rookie

Sep 27, 2009

There are sooo many free sites that will allow you to create your own handwriting sheets. just do a google search of handwriting

10. snickydog

snickydog Groupie

Sep 28, 2009

11. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2009