How to turn down an offer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Ghost, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 17, 2008

:sorry: I don't want to step on any toes for those who are looking and not finding, but I was offered a job at a charter school and accepted it, but then later was offered a job at a public school that pays $5000 more and accepted it. The charter school is an at-will school, so I know I'm not committed to it and don't have a contract to get out of, but I don't know exactly how to let them down. :help: ideas?

BTW, the principal that hired me quit right afterwards, so I don't know who is in charge right now.

3. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 17, 2008

Could you just simply submit a letter of resignation? You may want to PM merigold...she works in a charter school, and might be able to help!

4. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 17, 2008

I think you should tell them in person (or by phone) and do it sooner rather than later so they have time to find someone else. Just thank them profusely for the opportunity, and let them know that the position isn't the best fit for you.

If you don't know who is in charge, a letter may not make it to the right person, and you wouldn't want to leave this school up a creek, if you know what I mean!

5. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 17, 2008

I was thinking of emailing the HR gal who interviewed me. I just signed the papers yesterday for the public school and the charter school starts on Monday :(

6. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 17, 2008

Email, ASAP!

7. MilitaryPara22

MilitaryPara22 Rookie

Jul 17, 2008

I turned down a position the other day, and merely told her the truth- in my case, the position wasn't in my area of certification, and I told her my heart just wasn't in it and it wouldn't be fair to the students. She really appreciated my honesty and was glad I told her sooner than later.
    Do them a favor- tell them NOW so they can find a replacement. The longer you wait, the more difficult it will be for them. People change their minds from time to time, you won't be the first person to resign in this situation. Who knows- if you tell them it's because of money, maybe they'll try to match it. You never know. We all have priorities, I'm sure they'll understand.

8. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Jul 18, 2008

When I turned down my offer that I accepted, I called, no one was there. I left a detailed voice mail saying I couldn't afford the move, thanked them, and apologized.

The next day they called back and asked if they could change my mind. I explained the situation again, told them how honored I was they chose me, wished them luck, and bid them farewell.

Seemed to work well. They weren't mad at me, just disapointed.

9. lindita323

lindita323 Companion

Jul 18, 2008

Hi Trinda,

This happened to me also. I was offered a job in a charter school in the same state as you, the only difference is that I had not yet signed the at will agreement. They were all set to send me out of town for training and everything when I got an opportunity to interview in a regular school district. I was so excited about the offer given by the charter school, but I was concerned that I might get priced out there too early, was nervous for the future, so I was really looking for a job in a regular school district.

I did get an offer from the regular school district as well and I just could not pass it up. I called the director of the charter school right away. That did not go over so well. I was straightforward and honest, but she did not say a word to me. I followed up with a letter re-explaining the situation. It felt awful at the time, but I know I made the right decision for myself and my family.

10. Mrs.Bran

Mrs.Bran Comrade

Jul 19, 2008

Hi Trinda,
    The very same thing happened to me last year. I was hired by a private school (at a really low salary) about a month before school was to start. I really was not excited about the job for a variety of reasons, but I took it because I was worried I wouldn't find anything else. I kept looking and was hired by a public school 2 miles from my house. I simply called the private school and was very honest. I don't think that they were very happy about it, but I had to do what was best for me and my family. I am so happy that I kept looking, because I am at great school that is brand new, has an awesome principal and I love teaching 5th grade. Everything will work out the way it is supposed to. Best wishes.

11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 19, 2008

The faster you turn down the offer, the faster that position may be offered to someone else. The school may be sad, but the unemployed teacher who may get that phone call will be elated.
    :):thanks:

12. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 19, 2008

Geez, sounds just like the charter school I applied to--they were sending me to Chicago for training too. I know they couldn't match the money.

I sent an email to the director and a snail mail letter. I hope they find someone.