How to tell 1st graders I'm pregnant?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by MizJudy, Oct 20, 2006.

1. MizJudy

MizJudy Rookie

Oct 20, 2006

I'm hoping you guys can offer me some valuable tips and ideas, because I'm not sure what the best way to tell my first graders I'm pregnant would be... I'm over 5 months (almost 22 weeks) and have been putting it off as long as I can. I wanted to get them into school and the routine, and have them comfortable with me (as well as their parents comfortable with me and what they're learning) before telling them. My plan was to tell them when they started noticing or asking questions. A few of my parents have noticed (and I've told them, but asked them not to tell their child yet). I know that my time of their not noticing is quickly coming to a close (I'm poking right out there :) ), so I want to be prepared when they ask me about it. Or maybe plan to tell them before they begin asking. Help me have a plan before it is sprung on me!! :) I want to reassure them as well as tell them, if that makes sense. Thank you so much for all of your ideas!! :)

3. Mrs.Meow

Mrs.Meow Rookie

Oct 20, 2006

Hi,
    I too am pregnant, but I teach the fifth grade and I think this will make it easier to let the kids know.
    Anyway, I've heard of a lot of teachers reading a book call My Teacher is Having a Baby or something along those lines. I've looked on different pregnancy message boards and that's what a lot of them suggested.

Hope that helps

Robin

4. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 20, 2006

congratulations to both of you, hope things are going well. Good luck with telling your class.

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 20, 2006

MizJudy,
    I like you had to tell first graders...being from a small community a lot of them knew. I sat them down, I think, the first day and told them I would be having a baby this year. A lot of them have lil' bros & sisters so I just let them talk about their experiences. I also told them on days I might leave early to go to the doctor or when they had a sub so they really appreciated it too. BUT the excitement in their eyes was just too cute!!!
    Most of their questions were is it a boy or girl, when is it going to happen, will you be missing school, will you be back, will you bring the baby to see us. Nothing too uncomfortable. Then those who have lil' siblings would ask is the baby kicking you, can you feel it move.
    After they knew they took care of me...it was so cute one lil girl when she was line leader would walk down the hall with her hand on my belly waiting to feel the baby...you have to not mind that. THey would come hug me & saying I'm hugging you & the baby. I also drank a lot of water & when they asked I would tell them my doctor said that the baby needs it to grow & then we'd go about our day.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK & take care of yourself & baby!!!

6. herins

herins Companion

Oct 21, 2006

I am 29 weeks, so my parents from last year started figuring it out before the end of the year. By the beginning of this year, most of my new parents had heard, or could tell. I spoke to the parents at meet the teacher night, and explained when I would most likely be teaching until (Christmas), and that I am planning on ensuring that there is a smooth transition. That was all they needed to know. I never announced it to my kids, but they all know. They ask questions every so often, but it isn't concerning any of them.

7. keeley73

keeley73 Rookie

Oct 21, 2006

I played Wheel of Fortune with my kids and they had to guess the sentence. It said "My teacher is having a baby" - some of the kids didn't get it at first, but then they all got really excited - this was third grade.

8. Celestial

Celestial Rookie

Oct 21, 2006

keeley73... that is so cute!

9. MissSherry

MissSherry Rookie

Oct 21, 2006

I was thinking along the lines of keeley 73...although not quite as creative as wheel of fortune LOL thats awesome...I was thinking of doing either a guess the covered word, hangman or even just doing a pictionary kind of message.

10. daisyduck123

daisyduck123 Companion

Oct 22, 2006

When I was pregnant, I decided not to tell them. I waited to see how long it would take for them to figure it out. I was months along (can't remember exactly how many), when one of the little girls asked me if I was going to have a baby.

By the way, congratulations!!

11. herins

herins Companion

Oct 22, 2006

I had parents asking me when I was only 8 weeks pregnant because I missed a lot of school due to so-called morning sickness. They all said "you know, we've all been pregnant!", so I couldn't lie.

I didn't say "congratulations" either! I hope all is going well with your pregnancy!

12. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Oct 22, 2006

my name is ruth so i gave the kids BABY RUTH chocolate bars! They threw me a baby shower and wore shower caps!