How to teach word families

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Jan 28, 2011.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 28, 2011

I have not done this at all this year. What makes it worse is I never taught it last year either. It was my first year and I was learning everything so thats my excuse.

I am not sure how to teach/start word families. My students have learned what a vowel is and we have learned about blends but a lot of my lower students still can not identify blends.
    Am I moving too fast? Was word families supposed to be done before blends?
    All of my students know their letter sounds.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2011

What grade are you?

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 28, 2011

1st-sorry

5. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 28, 2011

I did not want to just post it in the first grade forum to get various ideas.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 29, 2011

You might start by gathering a list of rimes.

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jan 29, 2011

I've actually done that already.

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 29, 2011

I use an ABC arch. The kids have an arch and their abc letters. We first place our letters on the mat. Then they do their placement with the correct hand (a-m with left, n-z with right). Then we pick a word family to work with. The first one I do is -at. They pull at down. We read it. Then we start making -at words. I write them on a chart or smartboard as the kids build them. We add blends and sometimes we add plurals. Then the next day I do another family. I post the chart. After getting several charts, I make dice games. Each dice has a word family. They play in partners. They roll the dice (wooden cubes that I write the families on)and then they write a word on their paper that matches the family. They can use the chart, but they have to be able to read their word to their partner. They love playing the games.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jan 29, 2011

I got my archs from the Payne Educational Center. Their workshops are incredible...plus you leave with enough archs, letters, complete teacher manuals, and other supplies to start their program the next day.

http://www.payneeducationcenter.org/catalog/5

10. ally06

ally06 Companion

Jan 29, 2011

I do something similar to mrachelle - the kids physically make the word family either using physical letters or letters on the SMARTBoard - we practise saying the sounds and joining them together. We also brainstorm words and create charts, label pictures for each word family, use them in sentences, unjumble words, word searches and use them in our handwriting practice.