How to teach songs

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Tambra44, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Tambra44

Tambra44 Rookie

Jun 27, 2006

Hello everyone! I have been a long term substitute for high school itinerant learning support since March. Now I am very excited to announce that I have been hired for a permanent diagnostic kindergarten position for the fall! I am so very happy!

My question is... I have all of these wonderful songs for various things throughout the day (lining up, cleaning up, morning songs etc.) My question is when do you introduce them and how do you teach them in kindergarten? I am sure they will pick it up but I was just wondering how you do it! I am a little worried because I have never been involved in kindergarten before :eek:

Thanks for the tips!

3. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Jun 27, 2006

I choose the songs that I want to use first,such as the lining up one, for the first day of school. I let them listen to the song first, then I say the words for them and have them repeat them after me. Then we sing it with the cd and without (when we line up, I'll sing it and they will sing with me). They usually pick up songs really quickly. As we move into the routine, I introduce more songs as I need them. A lot of the songs I use are echo chants, in which they echo what the singer says. The eventually sing it both times, but this also helps them when learning a new song. As the year progresses, they will start up the songs themselves at the appropriate time. Dr. Jean Feldman has some of the best songs for Kindergarten. Good luck!!!!:)

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2006

Luckily, for many the music is natural! They do pick it up quickly and those who don't won't- but they'll try! Sing it for them, do it again slower, have them join, then add movements, and do it again and again.

Yes! Get Dr. Jean!!! You have to have at least two cd's to use! My kiddos loved them!

I like to intro a song as I would a story, tell them about it and then sing it for them.

5. Tambra44

Tambra44 Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

Thank you for the help. I did buy two Dr. Jean cd's and I have her new math cd on back order. Are there any others you would suggest?

6. kinderkat

kinderkat Rookie

Jun 28, 2006

The kiddos do pick up songs rather quickly!
    I would suggest Jack Hartman CD's because he has a lot of math oriented songs or he has a cool one called "Hip Hop Alphabop" which modernizes some popular kids songs and nursery rhymes. Also, Greg and Steve are wonderful also!

7. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 11, 2006

Ditto for Greg & Steve. I just love those guys! They make up my whole morning routine! (And at least a couple of their songs are in Spanish on the CDs.)