How to teach social skills ???

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Grade1&2, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Grade1&2

Grade1&2 Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

I've tried for three weeks now to find what was wrong with my students and today I've finally realized that at least 7 of my students are lacking some basic social skills. :eek: These socially unskilled students are having a huge negative effect on the rest of my students. :( I was teaching half of the class last year and they are not hard students at all but they are negatively influenced by their new classmates.

These kids have no clue how to interact appropriately with others. Two of them have a diagnosed emotional & behavioral disorder and they are doing okay in class but outside is another story. I am so overwhelmed.

Any suggestions, comments, anything ??? I want to start working in centers next week and I'm having nightmares just thinking about it. They have to constantly be guided to function well, when I give them a tiny bit of independence, it's chaos in the classroom, they call each other names, they tease each other, they fight. :(

Everyone is always complaining about my students and I know the problem is not me, I've been teaching for a few years and I've had students that we're not angels, and I've always managed.

Thanks for reading ! :)

3. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 21, 2006

My grade 1 colleague spends all the social studies time for about the first three weeks doing a unit she calls "I Can Behave". The whole unit is on proper behaviour/manners/courtesy in and out of school. If you are interested, I can see if I can get the name of the book/unit she based it on.

4. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 21, 2006

Oops, hit the mouse button before I intended!
    She finds it helpful because it teaches all the students proper behaviour - the ones who really need it get the instruction without being singled out, and the ones who don't need it just get reinforcement. Then, it gives her (and other students - gotta love that positive peer pressure) a reference point they understand when she does correct inappropriate behaviour.

5. Grade1&2

Grade1&2 Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

Thank you for replying ! I would love to know what she used ! :)

6. breneem

breneem Rookie

Sep 21, 2006

We act out Essential 55 (2 a day T & R). I introduce the rule, talk about it, take comments, and then the First a pair of students acts them out the wrong way (they love it!!!) And then the correct way:)

7. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Sep 21, 2006

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 21, 2006

Our principal does the 55 essensial rules too every morning is a different rule.

9. PurpleTweety

PurpleTweety Companion

Sep 27, 2006

I was able to get the information from my colleague today.
    The unit/book is actually called "I Can Behave". The author is Darlene S. Mannix. I was unable to find an ISBN number. The publisher is pro-ed. In Canada, it is distributed by Mind Resources. Hope this helps!