How to teach sight words?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by cml88, Mar 4, 2012.

1. cml88

cml88 Companion

Mar 4, 2012

I feel like theres not really a "fun" way to introduce/teach sight words...its kind of like a drill and memorize thing. I'm going to begin sight words with my kids and was just wondering how did you begin...do you just begin introducing the words and telling them what it is? and then review, review, review...?

3. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Mar 4, 2012

I've begun to do sight words with my kids, and so far it's just introducing one word every week and going over it everyday. Haven't come up with something fun yet...

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2012

We make pictures to help remember the word. This is tricky with some and easier with others. For are...we might write aRe to help students remember the words.

Then we do lots of chanting and skywriting and writing with fun materials. Each morning we may chant out the new words and some of the older words. So we would spell the word while doing some kind of movement (clapping, stomping, swaying). We might skywrite the word in the air using two fingers. We might write the word on our jeans or in playdough.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2012

The more multisensory that you can make it, the better!

On another note, we also have lots of guess the word. So I give clues to a word and the students try to guess which sight word I am referring to. There are also lots of sight word stories to read as well.

6. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

Mar 5, 2012

As we learn letter sounds I teach the sightwords. Our first 6 letters are s, a, t, i, p & n. The sight words I teach are I, it, is, a, as, an, & in. This week we are doing the /c/ sound and our sightword is 'can' (built on already learnt sounds). Not all sightwords can be read by decoding phonetically but a lot can. We are only into week 3 of our phonics program and the children are doing a fabulous job with both their phonics and sightwords.

I do have the flashcards which we do every morning. We play games with them (such as memory or kings and queens) and use as many different ways as I can to get them to write the words or work with the words. We do invisible writing (using candles) then wash paint over to read our magic words. We playdough words, use sketchers, gel pens, collage words, use string/wool, mosaic tiles, use sand that has powdered paint in it (when it's on the glue the colour comes out). My favourite is shaving foam on the table where they use their finger to write the word (my flashcards are laminated).